Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Food all over

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

i’ve noticed that Boston’s food has been every where lately. Its like she digs it out of her dish and its all around the dish. is this normal? she doesn’t always do it, but about 50% of the time. Is she mad at me? or just a messy eater?!

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

hmm, none of my bunnies have ever tossed around their food. it’s just pellets and not pellets with cereal or fruits and such? have you switched brands?

you may want to invest in the kind of dish that attaches onto the side of her cage.

• Deleted User
          Participant

its just pellets…i did just switch…but she did it before w/ her old food when it was almost gone…i wonder if it was because of the mixture of dusty grounds from the bottom of the bag and maybe now because of the switch

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

I’m interested that Boston even leaves pellets at all!  Edson gobbles them up as fast as he can.  How much pellets are you feeding Boston?  I only give Edson between 1/8 to 1/4 cup a day. He’s  4lbs.  I see in one picture there are some left.

• babybunsmum
              Participant
              3896 posts Send Private Message

my 2 gobble up every last pellet as well.  could boston just like digging for a hobby maybe?  try giving him a something to dig at… a phonebook or a fleece blankie and see if it distracts him from his food. 

edit:  oops… boston is a GIRL!  doh.  sorry… try giving ‘her’ something to dig at & see if it distracts ‘her’. 

• Deleted User
                Participant

I fill up her dish everyday because I read somewhere that baby bunnies should get unlimited pellets until like 7 months or a year or something? She is only a few months old….She doesn’t sit down and eat them all in one sitting, there is almost always some left over unless I forget to feed her till later in the day.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

My bunny Kokanee does this all the time. I fed her (mistakenly) the pellets with all the junk food in them as I thought (mistakenly) that it was healthier… So even to this day she digs through her pellets looking for treats! I’ve found the best thing is filling it only half full or less and just filling it often, that way I can give unlimited pellets but I don’t lose half to getting tossed all over the cage!

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

yeah, maybe try giving less each time. do you measure them or just fill the bowl? you might want to start measuring so when the time comes to reduce the pellets, you know how much she’s accustomed to getting. does she get veggies every day too?

• JK
                      Participant

Unlimited pellets?  Is Kokanee a baby?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant

LOL nope…I feed them all unlimited pellets as that’s just how I started them off…I’ve always found that rationing food makes animals go bonkers over it! None of them are pellet hogs, they don’t actually eat very many of them at all! Rupert will snork down all the pellets if you feed him a small amount, but I’ve kept it full since I first got him set up and he barely bothers with them! I’d say Kahlua and Kokanee eat maybe half a cup every two days. I’d even like both Kahlua and Kokanee to put on a bit more weight….

• JK
                          Participant

Mmmmm. I just don’t think pellets are all that healthy to begin with are they? Everything I have read says they should be limited.

• kimberleyanddarren
                            Participant
                            2520 posts Send Private Message

dont worry my bun does this all the time, even since i had him, he puts his front paws in and digs and digs till its everywhere then he goes round and eats it off the floor, he is still eating ok and everything so i dont think its because she is made at u and i wouldnt say there is any reason to worry!

• rabbitsmba
                              Participant
                              475 posts Send Private Message

The only “unlimited” rule I follow is unlimited timothy hay. I follow the 1/8 cup of pellets per 5lb bunn rule as well.

Okay, I lied – I give unlimited head scritches, ear rubs, kisses and snorgles too!

• kimberleyanddarren
                                Participant
                                2520 posts Send Private Message

hehe nothing wrong with unlimited head scratches ear rubs kisses and snorgles!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                  Participant

Pellets *are* supposed to be limited, and for a lot of bunnies they really have to be. With mine though I don’t since they don’t even eat as much as I would limit them too!

• Deleted User
                                    Participant

She gets veggies every day…some days more than others depending on how much time i got to spend w/ her (less time=more veggies….guilt)….she still eats the pellets off the floor so at least she is just not eating them. she’s also getting unlimited hay and she eats a lot of that too…..

one of you said something about pellets w/ junk food in it…..hmm….i wonder if the food i had before (reccomended by the pet store of course) had ‘junk food’ in it and the new kind doesn’t…..whats a good brand of food? how do i know which pellets are right?

thanks everyone!!! you are all a lot of help!

• Deleted User
                                      Participant

oh and to answer the other question….i don’t measure….i just fill….*sigh* another brilliant pet store reccomendation. its sad, all the misinformation i got and lack of information i got when i bought my bunny….the worst part is, the girl working in the store helping me also has a bunny and was telling me things based off of her bunny experience….i almost want to call her up and tell her she’s wrong and her bunny could be in danger!

• Beka27
                                        Participant
                                        16016 posts Send Private Message

regarding the pellets, look for ones with these values.  a good brand is the Oxbow, but not every place carries it.  you can order it online.  is she under 7 months?  if so, you can feed the alfalfa pellets, altho i think it’s easier to do the timothy pellets and just add some alfalfa hay.  the timothy is what she will get after 7 months and thruout adulthood. 

from the BB diet info page  https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=60

PELLETS: 1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. 

Recommended Nutrional Value: (Compare these against yours)

• Fiber 18% minimum (20 -25% best)
                                          • Fat 1 – 2% max,
                                          • Protein 12 – 14% max (long-haired breeds,angoras, need higher)
                                          • Calcium 1% max

don’t feel bad about not knowing everything just yet.  we all started from knowing nothing but “buns are cute!” to being “experts”… lol.  but seriously, this is why this site is here, and the HRS site and others that have great rabbit care info.  the important thing is that you are open to learning about your bun and the best way to care for her.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Food all over