Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Flying With My Bunny!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • BassCase4
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

Hi there! I am moving to NYC from Chicago in a week or so, and I wasn’t able to do a road trip to NY (I can’t drive and I don’t have anyone to drive for me ). I didn’t want to abandon my Netherland Dwarf so I am taking her with me on a flight from United Airlines, they allow rabbits in-cabin with me. I am nervous as it’s the first time I’m flying with an animal companion, and she is somewhat skittish, doesn’t like being held and I’ve only been able to hold her maybe twice without someone’s help. I will be traveling alone just with her, and I know that TSA makes you hold the rabbit during security which has been worrying me (I keep imagining a loose rabbit at the airport haha).

Has anyone had any experience who can give me some advice? I will have hay, veggies, and possibly a treat or two on me and will be able to get water for her past security. I just am afraid she will be super stressed out, and I think the part that has me most worried is how to get her out of her carrier without her bolting off the table (she hasn’t done anything like that so far) or running away from me before I can hold her. Has anyone had a good experience with the TSA + pets? Like if I ask them to hold a towel for me while I hold her or some small thing like that do you think they would be willing to help? I fly out early February, and the flight is 2 hours and it’s a domestic flight. Thanks!~~~

• SeeShmemilyPlay
        Participant
        201 posts Send Private Message

I personally haven’t had any experience with it, but I’d practice holding your bun before you go if they do make you hold the bun in line. There are some good techniques online about how to immobilize rabbits while holding them!

• Wynnie
          Participant
          6 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have experience with this however I do believe you’ll be perfectly fine holding her. Don’t overthink it. Until the time comes try and hold her as much as possible she may squirm but it’s up to you to deal with that, the whole experience will be a bit stressful for her so keep that in mind. Good luck and safe travels!

• tobyluv
            Participant
            3310 posts Send Private Message

I have never used it, but some people have used a product called Rescue Remedy to calm their rabbit’s fears or get them through a stressful time. http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pets-bach-flower/. Here is another website that mentions its use in rabbits
              http://bananasforbunnies.org/?page_id=255. And here is one old thread from BB that discusses Rescue Remedy https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/108625/Default.aspx. (Do not respond to old threads)

• MyPets101
              Participant
              59 posts Send Private Message

Posted By tobyluv on 1/26/2017 10:00 AM

I have never used it, but some people have used a product called Rescue Remedy to calm their rabbit’s fears or get them through a stressful time. http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pets-bach-flower/. Here is another website that mentions its use in rabbits
                http://bananasforbunnies.org/?page_id=255. And here is one old thread from BB that discusses Rescue Remedy https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/108625/Default.aspx. (Do not respond to old threads)

i have never used this for my rabbit, but ive used it for my dogs scare of cars, and it worked wonders!

• BassCase4
                Participant

Thanks you guys! I researched Rescue Remedy, and bought a bottle to see if it would work on her, if not I figured I can always use it on myself since I also get stressed out when flying haha. Another question, would you suggest maybe putting a harness on her for backup? I doubt she will tolerate it though she’s a very particular and sassy bunny. And I know people have mixed feelings about it, and I definitely don’t have enough time to get her harness trained so it doesn’t seem like a very good back up but I was wondering what people thought about it. Saw an old thread where someone did use a harness as a fail safe at the airport.

• pinknfwuffy
                  Participant
                  660 posts Send Private Message

I have never flown with a rabbit so I can’t speak from experience. I have read in other threads that someone asked TSA if they could have the inspection done in a separate room. That way, if your rabbit were to get out of your arms, it would be in a small, contained space. I realize this is an additional step but it is worth protecting your bunny and helping with any concerns you may have. I would plan to go a little earlier than anticipated to account for their procedures.

I don’t know if the harness would be ideal if you don’t have a lot of time to practice with her. Most rabbits don’t take well to the feeling of one but if you were only using it to have better control when holding her with the leash around your wrist (and not using it on the ground where she could pull) it may be okay. Note, if the harness has any metal on it they may need to remove it anyways.

I also think it might be a good idea to line the cage with a towel (on top of whatever you would normally use). This way, if you can reach in from the top, you can wrap the towel around her sides and behind (like a swaddled baby) before taking her out to have better control.

I think they will be understanding considering it is not the usual type of animal going through security.

• Vienna Blue in France
                    Participant
                    5317 posts Send Private Message

OMG – take your bun through security in your arms?!! Have the people who make these rules ever met a rabbit ???!!!

Absolutely brilliant advice from fwuffy – do it in a secured room !!
                      Can you imagine if she got loose going through customs and started chomping all the cables !! LOL (not LOL, but LOL anyway!!)
                      You would NEVER catch her ! and the whole airport would have to be closed down…. (I can feel a film script coming on! We’ve already had There’s a snake on the plane….. We could have ‘There’s a rabbit loose in the airport’

No seriously – I completely sympathise. no WAY would I accept to take my buns out of their cages for even 5 secs in a huge, electronically controlled airport, and I can’t believe that the airline/airport would risk it either, so they must have a room you go to do it.

You can spray Pet Remedy on a blankie or something and in the ‘air’, but don’t spray it ON the fur itself. (and yes, I slept VERY well the night we used it!! )

How about a (few) puppy pee pad for any wees ? Or you’ll have leaks…

Please check back in and let us know how it went and good luck with the move! HOW exciting !!

• ownedbybunnies315
                      Participant
                      29 posts Send Private Message

I have flown several times with my bun. I recommend asking to see if a TSA person would be willing to check the bun and carrier in a separate room. In my experience, they are always happy to do so. The reason is because even if you are able to hold the bun safely, other people (especially children) seem to be drawn like magnets to animals in the security lines, and it can rapidly become overwhelming for a little bun. Also, the TSA people will want to do an explosive check on your hands when you get through the metal detector, and for some reason they seem to frown upon trying to put the bun safely back in its carrier before they do it. So one time, I ended up juggling my bun with one arm while a TSA person checked one hand and then had to switch her so they could swab the other hand. I am guessing you might not want to try to juggle your bun with one arm. Mine was fairly stressed, but she did did stay quietly in my arms through the whole process. I did use a harness with a plastic clip instead of a metal one with her the first time just in case she tried to run away. Then I took it off in in the bathroom after clearing security so she didn’t have to wear it for the whole trip. It seemed like in such an unknown and strange environment, she viewed me as the safest place to be, so she never tried anything. I didn’t see the need to use the harness again. The next time, I told them I had a bun and requested a separate screening. They did still make me take her out of the carrier, but it was much quieter and I was able to put her back before they swabbed my hands. It seemed less scary for her. I have never had any type of bad experience with the TSA people, and have flown through several major airports (Dulles, Newark, and Denver). Good luck and safe travels!

• BassCase4
                        Participant

Haha Vienna Blue, I completely agree that is literally my worst nightmare for the situation!!! I know my vet said they have some rabbits who would sit still and you can hold them and do anything with them, but my bun is the complete opposite!

I never thought of asking to screen in a separate room! They do that for humans I don’t know why I didn’t think of asking for a rabbit. I will definitely try that. I can’t even imagine how you juggled your bunny with one hand while they checked you, I feel like I always need another person to help me secure her in a towel, let alone hold her in one hand at the airport! Thank you guys so much for all the advice (wee wee pads are a great suggestion!)

Will definitely give an update once we arrive safely in NYC in February

• BassCase4
                          Participant

Hey everyone thanks much for your help!! Me and Pixel made it through the flight and she is happily napping in her area at home now! Nice to know about such a helpful community of loving bunny owners <3

• LittlePuffyTail
                            18092 posts Send Private Message

Glad to hear it went well!!!

• bunnytowne
                              Participant
                              7537 posts Send Private Message

Oh great you made it.   I was going to say  put a harness n leash and get her used to it before you go.    YOu already made it to your new place lol.  Good

I flew wiht Cotton in the cabin no other way would i do it.  The first flight was short he was able to get a feel for it. The 2nd was longer.  The 1st flight the lady didnt mind me opening the carrier after take off to calm him.  He did fine after that.  

So your bunny enjoying the new place?

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Flying With My Bunny!