Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING FluffyKiss and Binky

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    • FluffykissandBinky
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi [editted by moderator DanaNM]

Hello! First time bonding- need some advice. General background: FluffyKiss (FK) was my original rabbit. Had her for a year. Last fall I got a geriatric rabbit from a friend so I took him in. He hummed her right away and they were bonded perfectly. I was staying at my moms house and he passed while I was there about a week ago. I came back to my house and she was alone for one night and I decided to adopt a second bunny (Binky) the next day because we were at my moms for 2 months so I thought my house would be neutral territory so I adopted the new one right away.

Answers to questions:

Both are fixed. He has been fixed for several weeks, her for almost a year. (He is only about 6 months old she is a year and a few months old)

Housing: I live in a tiny studio apartment. I have a 4 foot hutch with an attached fenced in area. Ideally when they are bonded they would be in the hutch together with access to the fenced area during the day when I am gone but free roam together when I am home (many hours per day). However, since they are not bonded yet I am currently leaving one in the fenced area or free roam while the other is in the hutch and basically swapping who gets the hutch about twice a day. There is a litter box outside the hutch as well and they have no problem sharing the litter box or food bowls when I swap them.

Bonding background: the rescue advised me to put them together from the get go because they got along when I adopted him. However, there were a couple brief fights so I separated them right away and started doing more research on bonding. I have had binky for a week and he seems comfortable in the hutch and in the apartment. I have been bonding them in the bathtub doing the table bonding technique for about 10 minutes at a time once or twice a day. I want to start doing 3 per day and then maybe move up to longer sessions. They both seemed aggressive at first but FK calmed down and seems more or less indifferent but he thumps his foot sometimes and they both refuse to groom each other. Tried peanutbutter trick for the first time and it seemed to work a little bit on FK but he won’t budge.

Regarding stress techniques I brought them home from the rescue in the same carrier because binky went in there with her and wouldn’t come out. I was thinking about doing 10 min car rides over the weekend but not sure.

Overall I’m just nervous that they won’t ever get along. I really want to be able to leave them together safely eventually. I am not sure if I am going to slow or too fast. Also, when one or the other is in the hutch the other has full access to the fence and they have briefly sniffed thru the wire and even mirror a little sometimes or flop right next to the cage. I feel like they or at least FK want to be friends but he still seems scared. Also during bonding they’ll lean they’re head in. Not sure if they’re trying to stealthy nip or if they’re asking to be groomed. I am super paranoid about them nipping or fighting so i am overly cautious during sessions.

Is all this normal? Any tips?

We are so grateful for any advice!!!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING FluffyKiss and Binky