Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Floor time together even though seperated?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • x_toffee&ginger_x
      Participant
      64 posts Send Private Message

So after a previous post my two 5 month old bunnies have to be seperated until they are neutered and bonding due to excessive humping and honking from toffe. They are both males. Even though I have seperated them their cages are near so they can see and smell one another as they were very close up until seperation cuddling and cleaning each other. Until after their neutering and being ready to bond this will be the way they are. However I was wondering if it was possible for me to give them the same time out playing at the same time as I don’t want to reduce the time they play. I want them to be getting the right amount of time out of their cage playing. Any advice would be a huge help. Previous posts have helped give me an insight into this but I’d just like to further this so that I know if they would be able to play together under my supervision and not be left alone without me watching . Any sdvice would be great

• Doodler
        Participant
        337 posts Send Private Message

FIrst off, thank you for doing research and reaching out for advice as you have been. It’s always nice when people truly strive to do what’s best for their bunnies even though the answers might be hard to hear. I can’t tell you how happy I am that you are making these changes even though I know it’s sad to separate them for right now and it’s turned your process upside down.

You can split the pay area in two by using x-pens or NIC grids. I would still have about a 6″ gap between them. It really depends on how much space you have to work with. You may end up having to split the play time between them. How much time do you have to give them play time and how much space do you have to work with? Are you able to have one have play time elsewhere in the house and you split your time between the two (of course you don’t want to use up any neutral space you need for bonding)?

• Asriel and Bombur
          Participant
          1104 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Doodles. If you have the space to have both out at the same time, yes go for it. If not, then no. They really shouldn’t be having any interactions with each other until bonding sessions start.

• x_toffee&ginger_x
            Participant

Thankyou for the response. I’ve been trying to figure out all day what I’m going to do. There isn’t really another bunny proof room in my house so my room is the only place to play. Together they usually have 6/7 hours out to play and roam around however I’m afraid that cutting this in half is going to stress them out or make them unhealthy? Or Am I just being overly sensitive? Now that they both have their own cage they have more room to themselves so they aren’t at all cramped in

• Asriel and Bombur
              Participant
              1104 posts Send Private Message

I’m out of the house from 6am-6:30/7pm, and at one time each boy was getting about 2.5-3 hours out each a night. Now I’ve got one boy out from 7-12 and the other one out from 12-5am. 3-4 hours a day is enough for one bunny, everyone here will obviously advocate for more time, but you do what you have to do to make it work, and if that’s still an adequate time out just less for the time being, that’s fine. It won’t stress them, if anything they’ll just be fussy they’re not out longer. I always made up for it on the weekends. I’d have them out for 6-12 hours each on a weekend if I wasn’t going anywhere.

• x_toffee&ginger_x
                Participant

Thankyou. I’ll make sure to give them as much time out as possible when I’m home until they can play out together again. I’m just curious now that i have seperated although they’re eating and pooing fine they haven’t seemed to be drinking? Is this normal or am I too keep my eye out. I read somewhere that they drink a lot sometimes due to being territorial and so I was wondering if this is why they aren’t too bothered or if I need to be careful and monitor?

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Floor time together even though seperated?