Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A flaky skin?!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnycutie
      Participant
      549 posts Send Private Message

so, i was holding buttons when I noticed really small, flaky pieces of skin on his ears. i rubbed them and the skin fell off. all thats left is really small bald patches. you can barley see it.  he doesn't have this any where  else on his body. i am very worried. is this a infection or is it some kind of weird ear molting? is it normal? just so you know ahead of time, vets are out of the question, unless it is super urgent. is there anything i can heal it with? has anyone had this problem? please help!

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

Were the flaky pieces on the furless inside part of his ears?  Could be early sign of mites.  Does he itch his ears a lot?  Ear mites is the only thing i can think of.   Unless he got sunburned there.    Usually mites have dark mite poop type reddish droppings as well.  the mites are white though.

• BunnyLiz
          Participant
          1212 posts Send Private Message

Id guess mites too, but I dont have experience with them. If it is mites, id imagine a vet visit is needed. Ive heard that some vets will work out payment plans. But for now posting a picture of it might help.

• bunnycutie
            Participant

it’s only on the outside of his ears. and there is no poo. he doesn’t scratch them any more than normal(for grooming).

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

I would watch him very closely for signs of him shaking his head a lot, or scratching his ears a lot. This would be a sign of some kind of ear parasite, which is the only thing I could think of that would cause the flaky skin. Parasites or other mites definitely need to be treated because bunny’s ears are very sensitive, and any infection or other problem that is left untreated can become very serious. Was this a one time occurrence or is he still getting the flaky skin? Ongoing flaky skin issues could be the result of a lot of different issues and it would be important to get your bunny to the vet.

• bunnycutie
                Participant

it was a one time occurrence and he hasn’t shaken his head at all. i don’t know if its his mood or whatever but now he is holding his ears flat to his back. im kinda scared because he is my first bun ever.

• bunnycutie
                  Participant

update: he is holding his ears normal now, and has been for the past few hours. he is not scratching or shaking his head.

• wendyzski
                    Participant
                    1312 posts Send Private Message

Is your bun also in the middle of a shed?  Pepper had somethign similar in the midst of a prolonged shed – flaky skin on the outside of her ears where the fur was thinnest.  My vet said it was just dry skin, and gave me palm oil supplement that is usually used for birds to put on her food for a couple of days and it cleared right up

• KatnipCrzy
                      Participant
                      2981 posts Send Private Message

could it have been sunburned?

• MooBunnay
                        Participant
                        3087 posts Send Private Message

If you aren’t noticing anything else out of the normal, possibly it was just a skin irritation. Bunnies holding their ears flat back is very common, mine do that when they are tired or just relaxing. I’m glad you are keeping a close eye on your bunny though, so that you can have a good idea of what is normal, and what is not normal.

• bunnycutie
                          Participant

he’s fine. i just got too worried.

• bunnytowne
                            Participant
                            7537 posts Send Private Message

Glad to hear he is fine.  Sometimes they get dry skin too.  As for being a worry wart join the club.  Bun parents are kept on our toes.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A flaky skin?!