Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Flaky ears

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Rebecca
      Participant
      17 posts Send Private Message

Hello again,

I have a 10 month old Holland Lop named Annie. Just to provide you guys with a little background Annie suffered from a ear/respiratory infection a couple months back 🙁 Our vet at the time misdiagnosed Annies ear infection as a fungal infection and prescribed a spray (which was recommended for dogs)…  long story short the spray treatment totally brunt Annies ears to a crisp. She lost a-lot of her ear fur, and the skin on her ears were like raw.

Her ear fur eventually grew back and it looked normal up until this past Friday. On Friday, I noticed her ears appeared flaky/scaly as well as appeared to be a blue/purple tint. As well it looks like her hair is thinner. (This is on the external part of the ear, where her fur is)

She is not excessively or abnormally scratching at them which is good. As well as she is eating/drinking and pooping normal.

I took her to the vet (our new vet!)  yesterday because I was obviously concerned. The vet did an examination, as well as some further tests and they all came back negative. No sign of ear mites, fur mites, fungal infections, ear infections etc… Moreover, the vet said Annie is in great condition apart from these flaky ears. The vet suggested this is a result of when her ears got chemically burnt from the fungal spray (that our old vet prescribed). Our current vet explained that rabbit skin/fur can take months to fully heal. So we concluded that what Annie is experiencing now is just part of her ears healing/shedding from when they were damaged. The vet suggested she might have sensitive/dry ears since that spray situation which might have also triggered this.

I 100% trust our vet, I was just reaching out to see if anyone has had a similar experience/ or advice:)

As well, Annie is also molting for her first time right now so would that explain why she is experiencing this… Like is it normal for bunnies to molt hair on their ears???

Thanks!

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Yes, rabbits will molt ear fur too, though it’s usually not as noticeable because the fur is so short. I think your new vet’s explanation is very plausible– it takes a while for rabbit skin to get back to norm after something happening, and flaking tends to be a natural part of that process, just like with humans.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Flaky ears