Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A First-time poster, question about breeder vs. pet shop

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • madmax87
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everyone!

First-time poster with some questions for all of you experienced bunny lovers!

I’ve been considering getting a rabbit for a while now. I’ve compared the costs and benefits, made sure it’s really a responsibility I want to take on, and I’ve come to my decision: Yes, I’d like a bunny!

That being said, I’ve been browsing the internet, checking out different breeders in my general vicinity (Holland Lop breeders in Virginia, if anyone knows of any good ones, let me know!). I did stumble upon one breeder’s website who’s a member of American Rabbit Breeders Association.  Their current selection is a bit slim, but they did mention that they supply a pet store nearby.  A friend of mine bought her bunny from that specific store, and she hasn’t had any health or temperament problems with it.

So, my question: Given that I know that the rabbits from the pet shop are coming from a verifiable breeder, what would you all say about buying one from the store?  Or are the health problems surrounding the pet stores large enough that I should contact the breeder and buy directly from them next time a litter arrives?

I appreciate all replies in advance!  And if anyone has some words for a future bunny owner, I’d love to hear your advice!

Thanks

• Hedi
        Participant
        969 posts Send Private Message

Hi and Welcome!

You will find many of us are pro shelter buns. There are thousands of bunnies out there that are homeless waiting on their perfect homes. They can range from babies to adults and all breeds. You can check out http://www.rabbit.org for great rabbit information. You can also see if they have a house rabbit society in your area.  Rabbits coming from the shelter are already fixed so you wont have to worry about that huge cost once the bun hits puberty. Adopting a bun that is a little older you will see more of the personality you are getting. Babies go thru their baby phase and then hit puberty so you can see several different sides to them but once they are fixed you can see their “true” personality come out.

If you let us know what area you live in maybe we can help you find a shelter. 

• Deleted User
          Participant
          22064 posts Send Private Message

Oh yes I so agree with Hedi … go and check out the bunny shelters … breeders and pet stores are just out to make money!

We don’t have bunny shelters in Western Australia … but Luey was a dumped bunny by his previous owners at a breeder’s house.  I was so glad to give him a nice and safe home.

Look around first before buying from a breeder or pet store … so some bunnies needing good homes.

Dawn xx

• osprey
            Participant
            2065 posts Send Private Message

As the proud caretaker of 3 rescued bunnies I will echo the sentiment: Choose the adoption option!  A great resource for finding adoptable bunnies in your area is http://www.petfinder.com.  You just enter your zio code, and it finds adoptable animals nearby.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

Most of us who have a petstore bunny bought our petstore bunny before we knew about the homeless rabbit situation. For sure check out shelter buns, for all the reasons mentioned plus that they are usually fixed so you don’t have to put up the cash and go through the stress of having your bunny fixed!

Anyways whatever route you choose to do, Welcome to binkybunny!! And we’d love to see pics when you choose your new friend!!

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                Participant
                971 posts Send Private Message

I bought all of my buns from a breeder; and it’s definitely better than a pet store! For sure.
                  If you’re into adopting, then go for the shelter…

But buying from a breeder will give you a pedigree and (usually) a rabbit that meets the breed standard, which is important if you want to show.

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

if you can wait until about the end of April, beginning of May, there will be (unfortunately) many dumped Easter buns at the rescues to choose from.  they will still be young if that’s what you want.  i would strongly consider doing this.  even if you hook up with the shelter now, tell them you are interested in getting a lop after Easter, give them your info and they can contact you once the bunnies start coming in (b/c they will.)

• prairieknitter01
                    Participant
                    9 posts Send Private Message

I am a first-time rabbit owner, and I would recommend going through a rescue group. One of the two rabbits I adopted did not settle down well at first, and her foster mom was able to give me all the details about her previous schedule and diet, and was even kind enough to email me some pictures of her housing set-up. I was able to match most details of my adopted rabbit’s “previous life” and she is much happier now! Also, when I was having trouble, I got lots of support from the adoption coordinators. It really would be hard to duplicate the peace of mind that would come from being able to talk to your rabbit’s foster parent! My local pet shop, who carries rabbits that they breed in the backroom, admitted that they don’t know how to tell a male from female rabbit, so all the rabbits are caged in a large run together, unspayed/unneutered. My feeling is that many, many pregnant rabbits are unknowingly sold from that store!

Andrea

• Sage Cat
                      Participant
                      1883 posts Send Private Message

Hi MadMax87 – I love that movie!

I too am a first time bunny owner. I got a pair of already bonded buns from a House Rabbit Society shelter near me – 2 weeks ago. 

The shelter has given me incredible support – since I don’t know that much about rabbits – there has been so much to learn. But it has been a blast!I highly recommend the shelter option.

That being said – many years ago I got 2 fabulous Husky’s    from a wonderful breeder. I researched

researched her & she even researched me before letting me meet her dogs. Considering that I had grown up with dogs – I did not need all of the extra support I have been getting from the House Rabbit Society. Therefore I felt comfortable getting my dogs from a breeder who I would more than likely never talk to again – which I did not.

Pet stores – Not so much – I just hear too many bad stories about them. I would not do it. Besides, you can’t really research a pet store the way you can a breeder.

So there are good breeders out there & there are shelter bunny’s in need. It is just a matter of which one is right for you. Good luck deciding.

We will all be looking forward to hearing about you bunny adventure! 

• kimberleyanddarren
                        Participant
                        2520 posts Send Private Message

you should go to your local animal shelter first and check what they have available, although saying that i didnt want a lionhead and thats what i came home with! but it would be better for you to rescue a bunny than buy one from a breeder as there are plenty of unwanted bunnies around!

• Hedi
                          Participant
                          969 posts Send Private Message

For every bun brought home from a pet store or breeder one in a shelter will die. I know some of our local shelters are euthenizing rabbits because they are just so overloaded with buns.  If you look in forum on here for Rescues you will see the crazy amount of rabbits needing homes.

Even if there is a certain type of breed you want you will be amazed that most are in the shelters. Even those “pedigree” buns. We have had some “expensive” breed rabbits in the shelter.

I have two pet store buns that are older and two shelter buns. My shelter buns are amazing and it is almost like they know and understand they were rescued. They behave amazingly and are so well mannered. Hooper is my newest I got from Columbus HRS. He was potty trained when I got him and he has never ever left a stray poo or peed anywhere outside his litter box. He has full run of the house and never bothers anything. He is just the sweetest rabbit I have ever met. It is almost like he understands how good he has it.

Not sure where you are in VA but here is a great bunny site: http://www.friendsofrabbits.org/

13735462571.jpg

• Scarlet_Rose
                            Participant
                            4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Mad Max welcome to Binky Bunny.  I would also like to encourage you to adopt from a shelter or rabbit rescue. There are oodles of adorable rabbits, including lops looking for loving homes.  Check out the web sites provided and here too;

http://www.varabbit.com/

http://shelters.theanimalnet.com/Virginiapets.htm

• BinkyBunny
                              8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! My very first bunny, Forrest, came from a breeder. (Forrest has since passed).   I researched the breeder & checked out prior.  She actually was the one that gave me information about the House Rabbit Society website, which is what got me started down the road to rescue work.   I have been volunteering and advocating rabbit rescue now for many years. And so even though I am now an advocate for rescue rabbits, I don’t want to throw all breeders under the bus. Bottomline for me is – Whereever people decide to get a bunny, people should research and educate themselves all they can about bunny companionship so that their bunny will have a happy safe loving home with a prepared human – who won’t give their bunny up, and put it at risk. (hence, how BB came to be)

After my first bunny, I started volunteering with rabbit rescues and animal shelters, and just knowing how many rabbits (and other animals) need homes, I always encourage and hope people will consider rescues because there are so many wonderful adult and baby rabbits who need to be adopted. And when you adopt, you actually save TWO bunnies – The one you adopted, and the one that will take it’s place safely at the rescue.

IF you decide that you are only going to decide between a pet store or breeder, then I personally would go with the breeder because you can check out how the bunnies are actually treated, and see how well they are cared for and socialized, and find out how caught up the breeder is about breed perfection. For example, the first and only breeder that I know, doesn’t euthanize due to imperfections, or if a bunny is past the prime breeding age, they are not euthanized, and she even takes in rescues. (you may not have even known that some breeders do that – so that is why it is important to know who you are dealing with)

But if you go to a pet store, you really only can go by word of mouth about the breeders they use.

Keep us updated on what you end up doing

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A First-time poster, question about breeder vs. pet shop