Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A First time owner — Rabbits humping

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • fitzandpoe
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I’ll preface this by saying that I am a very anxious person, and could be worrying about something that’s totally normal. That said, it’s my first time owning bunnies & I want to give them the best and most comfortable experience possible.

My bunnies are litter mates; both male. I got them at 8 weeks old, and they’re now about 12. One is a runt and is a fair bit smaller than the other, but otherwise they are both completely healthy. They share a double storey hutch & are happy to eat together, snuggle and lick each other.

Today Fitz (the larger rabbit) started humping Poe. Poe took longer to finish his treat so I think Fitz was establishing dominance. Now Fitz will chase him around, trying to mount him, and though it’s not at all violent Poe is scared and too small to fight back. They still interact well and like to be around each other, but it’s happening a lot and I’m worried that Poe might get hurt because he’s so little.

I think I need to get them neutered, but the vet said that you have to do it before their balls drop, and as Fitz is currently humping & I am away from home and the vet, unable to take them for at least another week, I’m scared that it’ll be too late, or Poe will get hurt in the mean time. Pushing Fitz away doesn’t make him understand (I’m a dog person, works for dogs!) and I can’t separate them, due to both a lack of alternative housing while I’m away and the fact that they don’t like being apart. Anyway, here are my questions, and I’d appreciate any advice I can get!

1) Will they be fine for a week?
        2) considering they’re not aggressive, is it likely that one will get hurt?
        3) neutering: is it safe? Does the fact that Fitz is humping mean that it’s too late or more dangerous?
        4) is it dangerous for Poe to get neutered because he’s a runt? He was just under 600 grams a week and a half ago, and I think he’s grown.
        5) will this effect their bonding? They love each other & I’d really hate for that to change.
        6) are they safe on their own?
        7) I read about marking their territory, and am worried that Fitz will mark their hutch. How do I get rid of the scent so that they can both continue to live there together without any issues?
        8) is there anything I can do to make this easier for either of them? I saw that even a month after neutering the rabbits can still struggle with dominance, is this true?

Thank you so much in advance, and sorry for all of the questions! I love my bunnies very much and I love their bond; I just want them safe and happy. I should add that Poe seems to have no interest in asserting dominance, but that could change. He just hates it.

Ashleigh

• Mikey
        Participant
        3186 posts Send Private Message

1) Will they be fine for a week?
          Youll have to find a way to separate them asap from now until a month after they are both neutered. It sounds like a fight is waiting to break out at this point since the smaller one is scared and the bigger one is chasing. Keep them apart asap

2) considering they’re not aggressive, is it likely that one will get hurt?
          Chasing, lunging, and a scared bunny is aggression. Yes, one will likely get hurt if you keep them together

3) neutering: is it safe? Does the fact that Fitz is humping mean that it’s too late or more dangerous?
          Safe as can be. Neutering is pretty easy both for the bunny and for the vet. Its about a 15 minute process. Showing hormonal signs is the perfect time to get neutered

4) is it dangerous for Poe to get neutered because he’s a runt? He was just under 600 grams a week and a half ago, and I think he’s grown.
          Nope. Two of my buns are runts of their litter but did fine through surgery. If he is underweight for his size though, youll have to talk to your vet about it. You might need to change his diet prior to surgery. During thsi time he shoudl be separated from his brother anyway, to ensure he is eating what he needs to eat

5) will this effect their bonding? They love each other & I’d really hate for that to change.
          Yes. One is already scared, so their future bond is going to start shaky. The sooner you can remove them from one another, the better. If a fight breaks out, or the smaller one gets hurt, itll be unlikely they will bond together after they are both neutered and healed

6) are they safe on their own?
          No

7) I read about marking their territory, and am worried that Fitz will mark their hutch. How do I get rid of the scent so that they can both continue to live there together without any issues?
          Swap bunnies between the new cage and the old cage. Let them both mark up both cages, as much as you can stand the smell. This is so they both feel like the cages are “theirs” and not “mine” and “yours”

8) is there anything I can do to make this easier for either of them? I saw that even a month after neutering the rabbits can still struggle with dominance, is this true?
          It can take up to two months before hormones are drained. You might have to wait two months after both are neutered before you can bond them, but one month is the average

• tobyluv
          Participant
          3310 posts Send Private Message

Mikey gave you some very good advice, and was thorough in answering your questions. Rabbits can severely injure each other if they fight, so you do need to separate them now before that happens.

• fitzandpoe
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so much Mikey! That was really helpful & I’m going to take on your advice, so I appreciate it! They are separated but can see each other and I think that’s the best I can do for them. It’s unfortunate that their bond will be effected but I’ll attempt to re-bond them afterwards. Thanks also for your reassurance about neutering, I’ll be booking him in as soon as possible. Sorry there were so many questions, but you were extremely helpful!

• Mikey
              Participant
              3186 posts Send Private Message

Glad to be of help! Rebonding should go pretty easy since theyve been friends for so long without any actual fights. Good luck on their neuters!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A First time owner — Rabbits humping