Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! First time owner – Bun Bun VonSqueekers

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marie
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

HI All,
        Just introducing myself.  I am a first time rabbit owner, our bunny was abandoned outside by it’s previous owners when they moved. He is now ours and doing well. He is the sweetest bunny and appears to be litter trained for no 1 but not no 2. He loves pets, not such a fan of being picked up.  I must say that my kids and I are in love with him. We have him in a dog crate in the kitchen and he gets free run every evening for 3 hours or so. I don’t know how to post a pic here unfortunately….

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

Hello and welcome to Binky Bunny! Thank you for taking in an abandoned bunny and giving him a home. If he isn’t neutered, that could be one reason why he poops outside of the litter box. Very few rabbits like to be picked up, so he isn’t unusual at all in that regard. It’s frightening to them since they are prey animals. It’s great that he loves pets.

Since you are a new bunny parent, you will find that the BUNNY INFO section here (link at the top of the page) is very helpful. Feel free to ask any care questions that you have too.

• Bladesmith
          Participant
          849 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to the addiction that is being a bunny slave!  It’s a pretty sharp learning curve, but well worth it.  Sounds like you’re already on the right track.

• Gordo and Janice
            Participant
            703 posts Send Private Message

Welcome indeed! And thanks for saving the little one, now of the lineage of VonSqueekers. Like tobyluv said, the BUNNY INFO tab above will help get you up to speed. And Bladesmith is right, for a brand new bunny owner, there is a “pretty sharp learning curve, but well worth it.” Our little rabbit was obligingly generous in her teachings with us. Baptism by fire as they say. But again soooooo worth it! Wish you guys many many years of wonderful bunny experiences. Feel free to ask any questions. We have many knowledgeable members. Welcome again.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
              Participant
              2512 posts Send Private Message

Welcome, and thank you for saving this bunny! If you are an accidental bunny owner, it’s important that you read up on all the info you can get. Rabbits are totally different than portrayed in the media, so best inform yourself and the rest of the family about proper rabbit care. Sadly rabbits are way more difficult to handle than portrayed, and their vet costs can be high. I hope that there won’t be any nasty surprises for your family now that you’ve done such a good deed.

One of those pesky misunderstandings is that rabbits tolerate being picked up, and that this makes them wonderful children’s pets. Children love to pick up soft fluffy animals, hold them tightly and cuddle them to bits. Supposedly rabbits love this if you see the ads. This can’t be further from the truth: rabbits hate being picked up because they’re a prey species. To them picking up feels like being someone’s next dinner. Most rabbits will squirm, kick or bite out of terror when they’re held. This is actually one of the main reasons that rabbits or children get hurt, and that the rabbit is given away or put in a cage in the garden because it’s “unmanageable” or “agressive” There are several trust building exercises that you and your family can do with the rabbit. A rabbit often loves to be petted while on the floor or next to you on the sofa, but it has to be in a quiet environment. I hope that your children can understand the rabbit’s needs and that they won’t be disappointed.

It’s great that you’re making him an indoor bun, rabbits can make great house pets once humans and rabbits are used to eachother’s behaviour. Keep in mind that rabbits need to be neutered/spayed to prevent health and behaviour issues. A hormonal bun is not a good roommate, depending on their sex there may be agression issues, spraying urine, territorial fights and humping everything in sight. So best find yourself a rabbit-savvy bunny vet and get him fixed. There’s a topic called “Vet resources” on the forum here which will help you to find an expert vet.

Sadly, vet costs are something that people underestimate about rabbit care. They’re NOT cheap or low-maintenance pets. Vets need special training to treat rabbits, and regular vets don’t have this specialty. Rabbits can live up to 12 years and can develop several health problems like dental issues, which are expensive to treat. One-time costs include spay/neuter, and they also require yearly vaccinations even if they’re indoor rabbits. Ask your vet if they need vaccinations in your area. The vaccinations are against Myxomatosis and RHD/VHD, which are very contagious and nearly always lethal. Hopefully they’re not active in your area. Rabbits will need check-ups once a year, the vet will check their weight, dental status, heart/lung function and more.

Thanks again for saving this bunny, and I hope that with the right help he’ll make a wonderful family pet!

• Marie
                Participant
                14 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the warm welcome. After we caught him and brought him inside I did a bunch of research. I have hay and Oxbow pellets and I’m feeding greens and other veggies daily. I set up his litter box with carefresh and both a bowel and water bottle for drinking. I have forbidden my kids from picking him up or reaching into his cage so that can be his safe place. Instead we meet him on the floor and couch. I did try to take him to the closest vet but they don’t do rabbits, but they did call around and find a vet that does exotic animals in my city. I called and have made an appointment. I did ask about neutering him and they said it would be about $375…..So that’s something I will probably go ahead with in the next few months as long as the vet says he healthy enough.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! First time owner – Bun Bun VonSqueekers