Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE First Aid kit for bunnies??

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kokaneeandkahlua
      Participant
      12067 posts Send Private Message

Hey all

I guess this is a question for the more experienced owners…

What sorts of meds should be on hand at all times for our bunnies? I know about quick stop for nails but what other things should we all have at home? I don’t want to be caught without what I might need in case of an emergency!

Thanks!

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

That’s a very good question!  I’d like to know as well.  Binky Bunny – maybe you could sell an emergency kit in your store???? I’d buy one!

• MarkBun
          Participant
          2842 posts Send Private Message

Stipple powder is good for the nails and I would also use it on any small nicks or cuts that don’t bleed too much. Other than that, you’d want to have clean bandages in case they get cut, a good towel to wrap them up in if they get injured and a hot pack to put next to the towel to keep off shock (don’t put it in the towel with them as it can overheat and/or burn the bunny). A tiny bit of asprin (like a quarter pill) helps alleviate pain but I would first go to a vet before administering any type of medications.

The main issue is that you need to be VERY careful getting a bun ‘fixed up’ and transporting as you could do more damage trying to wrap stuff around them and they’re busy squirming around in pain. Unless it is a really bad cut, I just quickly put a towel over the bun, press down snugly and then tuck up and under them, making them into a quick Bunny burrito. If necessary, I’ll put some pressure on the outside of the towel to help staunch the bleeding.  Although I feel transporting an animal outside of its container unsafe, as I am all alone, I ride with the bun in my lap, holding them close to me on my lap and making sure they don’t squirm too much.

Oh, one thing I also keep on hand is a can of pumpkin pie filler. I saw on emergency vets that it works as a laxative so if the bun hasn’t pooped all day, I’ll give them a little before bed. If I wake up and it’s still no bb’s, then it’s off to the vet.

• xnovalentine
            Participant
            309 posts Send Private Message

I could have used this Sunday night! Haha! I agree, I would buy a kit also.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi K & K! We had a discussion about this a while ago about putting together emergency kits.  It grew to be a pretty long list and I have a portable hanging file conatiner will all the stuff in it and a recipe card box that has instructions on how to deal with various things and my vets card & 2 others taped to the inside of the lid.  Here is the link to that discussion;

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=2&postid=15369&view=topic

• JK
                Participant

Wow that’s a lot of stuff!  Thank you for that information.  I guess then it is totally unrealistic to sell such a kit!  That’s just an excellent kit you have put together.  I’ll probably start working on this before I start on the earthquake kit that I have never put together!

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant

Thank you! *blush* I’ve learned a lot over the years and do modify it a bit and add things here & there. I think it would be expensive to have a whole kit, but on the other hand, maybe Binky Bunny could sell a starter kit too and include nail clippers, thermometer, flea comb and a mini-flashlight. But then I find half the fun is finding funky ones in my style or color too. = : ) This kit is great for earthquakes as well. The thing with evacuation planning is food for your rabbit. You don’t know when or where or how long it will be before you can locate any in a disaster situation. Also, the gauze works great for removing debris around the face and covering the rabbits nose lightly in case there is smoke (it’s dangerous for bunnies as well as humans – smoke inhalation kills). Which makes me think of another item to add to the kit – A dust mask! Great for allergy sufferers when grooming.

• JK
                    Participant

Well maybe YOU need to start selling these kits!  I want to know what’s in your recipe box next! A starter kit would be great with maybe a list of other things that would be useful inside.  I really started thinking about what would I do with the rabbit in an emergency. I would be up a creek if it happened right now! I think this is a priority!

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant

Not a bad idea really.  It really should be a priority and I am glad you are taking to this! Well, start with a big plastic box, not too big where you can’t just grab and run though. One with a handle is best.  Definately print out this in lieu of a recipe box – for now;

http://www.coloradohrs.com/articles/medical_common-problems_generic.asp

http://www.hopperhome.com/hopperhomedoc.htm#Medical

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

http://www.rabbithaven.org/BunnyBasics/medical_concerns.htm

http://www.rabbithaven.org/BunnyBasics/health_checkups.htm

I’ll go by topic on the recipe box.  What I did was as things came up either for me personally or with bunny friends, I wrote them down & either the instructions the vet gave me or info from bunny-savvy dependable people. Also if to call the vet, if it can wait or to take them in ASAP.  Sometimes in a panic it is hard to know the exact thing to do and having something written down to look at and do really helps.  Whenever in doubt though, take the rabbit to the vet. I’ve also personalized them to my rabbit as well so I know what works with them and have a little history say if a vet wants to presecribe x and y was better. Especially if I don’t have my regular vet in an emergency.  Oh yes, also ask for a copy of the files of your rabbits to keep in the box too (something I neglected to mention) in the case you need to take your rabbit to an emergency vet who is not your regular vet and they cannot get a hold of your regular vet either.

• Lisa_43
                        Participant
                        1499 posts Send Private Message

What excellent advice Scarlet, I defiantly will be making a first aide recipe card system and an emergency evacuation plan.

I have a lot to organise with dogs, cats and rabbits and taking the fish might be a hard one.

Oh and the hubby,  you got to get your priorities right LOL

• JK
                          Participant

Scarlet Rose – This is just awesome!  I bet some of these things would work for the cat & dog too.  The humans can fend for themselves!  Just kidding.  Thanks soooo much!!!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

Thanks everyone!! I can’t wait to get started on one!

• Scarlet_Rose
                              Participant

You are all so welcome! You can also catergorize the cards further by Prescriptions & Ailments. I’m a neat freak (seriously I think I need help LOL) but the vets love me for it too.

KnowItTons, it would definately apply for all of your animals and you can break the cards in sections by pet then ailments & prescriptions.  Also, they work great for writing down the last time they had their shots, heartworm medicine, feline FIP test, flea treatment etc.  I know that vets usually mail out a reminder but it is also good to have on hand for your own info. Also include dosages too when writing down meds you might also keep track of a pets weight as well.

• JK
                                Participant

Great!  I still want you to sell the kits.  It gives me a brain freeze thinking about all that needs to go into it!

• Sarita
                                  Participant
                                  18851 posts Send Private Message

The phone numbers for the nearest rabbit vets and emergency rabbit vets – you would be surprised how panicked you will become when your rabbit is ill or injured and thinking looking up phone numbers can befuddle you. Actually if you can have them programmed in your phone that would be better.

I also have a carrier ready close at hand at all times.

As far as medications – maybe you can have over-the-counter meds like maybe simethicone but I honestly cannot think of alot of over-the-counter meds I’ve actually used in case of an emergency.

I also recommend critical care and some feeding syringes.

The articles especially Dana Kremple’s are really good too.

That emergency kit info from Rabbit References is pretty good – you may already have a bunch of that stuff around your home too that you can just centrally locate for emergencies.

I do have to say that the laxotone is extremely old fashioned and I would not recommend that this will help any rabbits in stasis. I used to use this a long time ago but it’s not really recommended. Laxotone does not get the mass moving like the motility drugs (only use when recommended by the vet) and sub-q fluids and pain meds.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE First Aid kit for bunnies??