Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Fireworks – best practice ideas.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Henry
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Evening.
        so we’re coming up to that time of year. For my bunnies it will be the first time they have heard fireworks.
        I have two adults and two roughly 4 weeks old kits. I have a walk-in avery with a hutch on a run inside. So really looking for any best practices.
        At the moment my plan is

– keep the hutch open so they can move about if they want (don’t want to trap them in the top hutch) is this a good idea?

– thick blank to put over the hutch and cover the bars bit so they can hide inside without being able to see the flashes  and hopefully the noise will be reduced.

– ( the house is not practical – dogs who will already be freaking out)

– should I feed extra or extra hay or just do normal to keep things as normal as possible ?

any ideas are more then welcome.
        cheers

Henry

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

That sounds fine and yes, plenty of hay and hidey-holes. There’s a chance the rabbits will not be phased at all or if they are, that they’ll habituate to it quickly once they realize it’s just noise and nothing is harming them.

Some additional recommendations you can consider are here: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fireworks

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Moonshadow
          Participant
          41 posts Send Private Message

Go onto YouTube and play fireworks sounds at a low volume near them so they get used to the sounds of the sizzles, bangs, pops, and sparks. Then as they get used to it, increase the volume to a more normal range of sound. Doing that may help desensitize them, since they’ll realize it’s just noise not something chasing them. The desensitization method worked perfectly for my bunny. He doesn’t even flinch at hearing fireworks now. (I actually saw him binkying while they were going off on the 4th of July)

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Fireworks – best practice ideas.