Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS finished dog crate condo

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • olliebun
      Participant
      57 posts Send Private Message

Hi every one, I finally finished the condo for my bunny who’s coming home in just two weeks!! this will be used as home base and the Nic grid “wall” is just to show me how the x-pen will look when it arrives. I know it might look small, bun since its going to be used mostly as home base I’m not too worried. eventually he will have the whole room to himself  . for those wondering, this is a 42 inch dog crate. I still have to get some carpet to be placed on the step but been a bit busy lately so wasn’t able to yet

heres a picture of my baby. he’s six weeks old and is a lion head x holland lop mix. his ears finally lopped!!

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

Oh my lord I was not prepared for that little face! ? He’s adorable. I can see him being a trouble maker ?

I think the crate is brilliant as a home base. Can’t wait to see it with his things inside it. It will look marvellous

• Yilina
          Participant
          246 posts Send Private Message

OMG!! What a cutie, he looks so soft! He reminds me of my own Tambor, who is also a lion head

The condo looks perfect to me, is it easily accessible for cleaning? I bet he’ll love it when he moves in with you

• olliebun
            Participant

Posted By Yilina on 9/02/2018 2:47 PM

OMG!! What a cutie, he looks so soft! He reminds me of my own Tambor, who is also a lion head

The condo looks perfect to me, is it easily accessible for cleaning? I bet he’ll love it when he moves in with you

thank you! The only down side of this is that it only has one door which is in the front . since it was originally for our shepherd, we never thought we would use to house a bunny . but since the bottom plastic tray can be easily removed it shouldn’t be horribly hard to clean. the hay rack I plan on making will be a plastic bin with one side cut out and be zip tide on the outside of the crate so if I need to refill I don’t have to crawl in lol 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/244601823491194582/?lp=true 

does anyone know what this bin is called? it says dollar store bin, but I couldn’t find it when I went to the store. 

• olliebun
              Participant

also I’m having trouble decide what to used as bedding on the bottom level. I wanted to place some towels ,but I’m scared since he’s a baby he will chew and ingest some. but I don’t want to leave it bare bc I don’t want him to pee and then step in it. I’m thinking of making a cage liner but with school just starting I’m scared I won’t finish the liner in time, because I will be hand sewing the whole thing. I was thinking I could use some larger binder clips and use some fleece with puppy pads on the bottom. that way if he pees outside the fleece will whisk away the moisture and be absorbed by the puppy pad. I would wrap the fleece around the Bottom tray and then use the binder clip to make sure he cant dig it up.
                would this affect his potty training? any other suggestions? TIA!!

• sarahthegemini
                Participant
                5584 posts Send Private Message

Posted By olliebun on 9/02/2018 10:50 PM
                  also I’m having trouble decide what to used as bedding on the bottom level. I wanted to place some towels ,but I’m scared since he’s a baby he will chew and ingest some. but I don’t want to leave it bare bc I don’t want him to pee and then step in it. I’m thinking of making a cage liner but with school just starting I’m scared I won’t finish the liner in time, because I will be hand sewing the whole thing. I was thinking I could use some larger binder clips and use some fleece with puppy pads on the bottom. that way if he pees outside the fleece will whisk away the moisture and be absorbed by the puppy pad. I would wrap the fleece around the Bottom tray and then use the binder clip to make sure he cant dig it up.
                  would this affect his potty training? any other suggestions? TIA!!

He’s probably going to be difficult to fully litter train anyway until he’s neutered although both of mine were good at peeing in their boxes (it was just poop that they did everywhere!) a lot of bunnies won’t quite get it and of course he will probably start peeing to mark once he gets hormonal. I would probably opt for the blanket with pee pads underneath and then once he’s neutered I would leave the base bare and get serious about litter training.

• olliebun
                  Participant

thank you, I’m not too worried about the poo mostly worried about the pee. I just don’t want him stepping in it when me or one of my family members cant clean it up fast enough.
                    I heard you have to wash and dry the fleece 3x or more in order to get rid of the water proof layer, is this right?

• Vienna Blue in France
                    Participant
                    5317 posts Send Private Message

How cute.
                      When he comes back to your house, apart from you playing with him, I personally would keep him in the cage and not yet with access to his exercise area alone, so that he can get used to his litter tray in the cage. They are usually very good about not making the bed place dirty and so if it’s small enough they will learn to use the litter tray it very quickly. Then when you start letting him out into the exercise area by himself he will know to automatically go back to the litter tray.
                      The cage is really cute well done. Shame about the only one door situation. You will be getting down onto your knees a lot and squeezing through the hole to clean his cage….

• olliebun
                      Participant

lol, it’ll be a bit hard but it’ll only be for a few months hopefully, until the neuter. I think ill leave most of the bottom bare and get some of the Timothy mats as well as make some cardboard mats I’ve seen on youtube. its still quite warm where we are so I don’t think he’ll be very keen on laying on the blankets anyway.

• Q8bunny
                        Participant
                        6345 posts Send Private Message

He is adorable! That cute little disapproving face!

Once my little guy learned to use his litterbox (it only took him a few days), he used it up until his neuter at 5ish months (and ever since, of course). So you may be pleasantly surprised, especially if you take ViennaBlue’s suggestion for the first few days he’s home with you.

Yes, washing fleece a few times usually preps it nicely (use a bit of white vinegar as you would fabric softner to condition fabric further). Ultimately, though, prepare yourself for a long process of trial and error until you find what works best for your bunny and you.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS finished dog crate condo