Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Finding Critical Care

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kyna
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I am new to posting but not to using the forum for information. It’s even great to have as a resource. I line in northern Indiana and am in great need of Critical Care to tide me over the next three days. My rabbit, Goldberg, has had some recent weight loss without obvious signs as to why. His vet has put him on Critical Care for weight gain to to be strong enough for anesthesia for X-rays and drawing blood. But after a week of no gain has tripled it to meet the manufacturer guidelines since he is also not eating his hay and needs more food. The vet has little to none left, though, and I have found out that neither Indiana nor Michigan pet stores are allowed to sell it in stores. My vet clinic and various pet stores said I should order online, which I have, but because the dose was tripled I have run out fast and the order will not be here for a few days. The timothy pellet slurry + bit of banana or dusty last bits of Critical Care at the bottom of the bag make a syringeable mix but one he does not want. But he is still urinating, pooing, active, and alert, and generally likes his veggies but too many can cause weight loss if he relies on them. He is worryingly thin, too.

I have appealed to my vet in case they ARE able to secure more for me or coordinate with area vets find more. But I assume that clinics will not sell to non clients. I expect an order of it to arrive by Wednesday, but what can I do until then? I have even been told to order it online and I have, but what do you do when you need it now and your vet has little to none and stores do not sell it? No place ships overnight that can find online except Vet Medicines which could not secure it from their warehouse until the end of this week. Amazon, eBay, are not helpful either.

Anyone have ideas about better types of things I can try for him?

Thanks for any help the forum can provide.

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

I emailed you directly

I wanted to let you know I checked on BinkyBunny order of Critical Care and good news, tracking shows it is on time and should be delivered tomorrow.  Now I know that isn’t’ always the case so in the meantime here is a recipe that may help.  I emailed this to you too, but this may help anyone else in a similar predicament. 

IN the meantime, here is a recipe mix that may help while you wait.  

(copied from SOURCE:http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html)

If you do not have ready access to Critical Care, one quick and easy recipe is to soak about 2 – 3 tablespoons of pellets in about 1/2 cup of warm water or chamomile tea until they are soft and fluffy. The pellets will fluff more quickly in slightly warmed solution, but overheating may destroy some of the nutrient content of the pellets. Mix the pellet fluff with additional water or tea, vegetable baby food or even with canned pumpkin until it forms a somewhat liquid paste with the consistency of pudding. Allow to cool before using a large-bore feeding syringe (available at most pharmacies) to deliver the goods.
          ——————————————————————-

I’m sorry you have to go through this.  I know it must be stressful. 

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

Was he taking the syringed CC readily?
            It might be you have to tweak the flavour of your substitite a bit more to make it seem like CC.

I have the apple/banana flavour here and I don’t really smell banana. I can sort or smell apple and mostly the wheat germ.

Perhaps try with a little apple. Pumpkin, as suggested. Pineapple juice. Herbs. Even some cereal.

((((Vibes)))) for your dear bunny.

ETA: could one of the local rabbit rescues stick some CV?
            Hopefully your order will arrive as scheduled. If he’s eating veggies, that’s good to keep the gut moving short term at least. Since he manages those, will he eat some fresh grass?

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Finding Critical Care