Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Ferdinand has “head tilt”/torticollis/wry neck… any experience?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • belleandferdinand
      Participant
      50 posts Send Private Message

Whilst I was away in Maui this week (after Belle made her recovery from a 2nd bout of stasis), Ferdinand stopped eating and my bunny sitter called to say "he was looking at her strangely". Another pal stepped in and told me that Ferd was hopping then falling over… at which point my trusted bun vet came to the rescue and took Ferdinand away to treat him for head tilt (which seems to be called wry neck/torticollis as well). Ferd is back home after two nights away, in a padded cage and is on lots of drugs and hopefully is on the mend – he ate his dinner of cilantro, mint and banana and drank from a bottle when put in front of him but has problems with his balance and his head is still to one side. Obviously it is v. distressing to see him like this and it came on v. quickly… any advice from Bunny parents who have experienced the same situation are welcome

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

Well head tilt can be due to an ear infection or e.cuniculi, and can actually be due to other things too (injuries, mites etc etc), but the first two I mentioned are what I am used to seeing.    Do you know which this is from?  The treatments are completely different and if he has e.cuniculi he needs the proper treatment fast. EDITED HERE:But I am sure your vet already thought of that! That is the first thing to consider when seeing symptoms of  possible e.cuniculi – in that case, the faster a bunny is treated with meds for e.cuniculi the better!  Hopefully it is just a simple ear infection and can be easily treated.

Five years ago Rucy had head tilt and was circling but it was due to an ear infection and she got back to normal within a week.  Hers came on very fast too – overnight.   I do remember it being very distressing for me too!  Just hated to see her like that. It is torture to watch, so I feel for you.  Just give him some extra love and take a deep breath. 

One of the things I have really learned from experience is how incredibly strong these these little creatures are!  They handle it better than we do.  Bailey went from almost barely being able to walk due to weakness in her hind legs (due to e.cuniculi), to hopping around and learning how to scratch her ears on her own again.  I felt so sad thinking she must be so confused and upset not being able to walk, but amazingly, she started gaining much of her strength back and though I doubt she will ever be fully back to normal, she has found ways to adapt.   And even during her most weakest points, she still had the strength to munch down her food like normal and schooch over near Rucy to see what she was up to. Her disability seemed like just a minor annoyance to her, but nothing that she ever got down or really distressed about – she left those emotions to me.

So really, all you can do is all you can do, and after that, you just take a deep breath and help him heal. It’s good that he has Belle, as they do better with a buddy.  . 

It’s going to be okay.  Sending of healing vibes to Ferdinand and peaceful vibes to you.

Keep us updated.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

I’ve no experience, but I am really sorry to hear this…. *vibes* I know there was a bunny with head tilt on three bunnies.org…you might ask them? *vibes for you too!*

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

Healing vibes to Ferdinand. Like BinkyBunny said there are many causes to this.

Did your vet say what he though was the cause of Ferdinand’s? It is good he is eating too.

Is he bonded to another bunny? Keeping them together is a good idea too.

• belleandferdinand
              Participant

Thanks for all the advice (and good thoughts!). The vet is testing for e.cuniculi so we should hear today/tom on the results. Ferd is still eating and seems comfortable in his padded cage. He’s actually separated from Belle (they divorced earlier this year and Belle goes into attack mode if she escapes her room!), but he’s getting lots of attention. More updates later!

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

i’m sorry to hear about this.  (((((((((((healing Ferdinand vibes)))))))))))))))  i hope your vet figures it out and he’s on his road to recovery.

i’m also sorry to hear about the divorce.  i wonder why that is…  is it common for bonded rabbits to suddenly have a falling out?

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

>>>Bunny Hugs to you and Ferdinand<<< Hang in there, I can only imagine how stressful a situation that must be.

• osprey
                    Participant
                    2065 posts Send Private Message

{{{{{Ferdinand}}}}}

Gah, I hope it is something simple like an ear infection.

• MooBunnay
                      Participant
                      3087 posts Send Private Message

All my seven bunnies and me send healing vibes to Ferdinand! That is 8x healing vibes I hope he is feeling better soon – it sounds like you are doing all the right things for him.

• babybunsmum
                        Participant
                        3896 posts Send Private Message

no experience / advice… just bunches of ((((((healing vibes))))))) from ontario

• belleandferdinand
                          Participant

No big updates on the Ferd front – he’s literally on six different drugs and is eating/drinking but still is unbalanced and his neck is twisted, so just feeding and petting is v. odd. It seriously seems to be more painful for the human to see and treat – and I miss him binkying by the baby gate when I wake up (and sitting on the sofa, table, any other surface!). I just hope he recovers enough to have some of his old habits back – it would be v. sad if he can’t do his happy dance anymore

On a positive front he’s in love with one of his drugs which is a butterscotch flavor – the local Safeway filled the prescription and couldn’t believe it was for a bunny. I can’t wait for the junk mail that Ferdinand Thompson is going to start receiving!

• Scarlet_Rose
                            Participant
                            4293 posts Send Private Message

Awe poor fella. So it really is head tilt and not an inner ear infection then? At least he does like the one script, I do recall having to fill a script at a Walgreens and they were agog because it was for a rabbit. I never got any junk mail though. *fingers crossed*  I know you probaby have everything all set up for the guy, but what does help is one of those pet beds with the roll sides where he can lay comfortably.  You can even roll up a towel and leave in places where he chills, also for practicality a water bottle rather than a crock and you may want to mount it higher up for him (you probably already know that). I have seen a rabbit fully recover from head tilt with the help of scripts from a vet and acupuncture therapy. It was nothing less than amazing, I even remember his name, Sergei. He was the sweetest little thing.

• Gravehearted
                              Participant
                              2428 posts Send Private Message

aww, poor little guy. I’m glad your pet sitter and the vet were able to give him such good care, since there is nothing scarier than being away when they get sick. wow he’s on a lot of different meds and is still tilty 🙁 Hope they’ll have some news for you soon. I’m glad he’s not acting like he’s in pain, that’s a big relief. sending lots of get well wishes your way…

and about the junk mail – as long as it’s not credit cards in his name it should hopefully not be too bad. 😉

• belleandferdinand
                                Participant

Ferd tested positive for e.cuniculi so he is now on some new drugs – Albendazole. Fingers crossed things improve in the next week…

• Gravehearted
                                  Participant
                                  2428 posts Send Private Message

I really hope he’ll be doing much better on the Albendazole. Sending good wishes to Ferdie!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                    Participant
                                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Wow, my fingers are crossed for ya and best wishes to Ferdinand.

• BinkyBunny
                                      8776 posts Send Private Message

OH, I’m so sorry to hear he has tested positive. So many bunnies test positive, 1 in 4, but many luckily never have symptoms. Do you know if his titre levels were high?

Bailey is on Ponazuril – it’s supposed to be the latest and greatest. Some even hoped for it to be the cure. Too early to tell. So far this drug seemed to help Bailey out, and she hasn’t had any negative side affects on her liver from long term use so far. Many of the drugs used for E.cuniculi do have the potential to cause liver damage so hopefully your vet has asked you to return in a month or two to do tests for that. Bailey is due for a test in a a few weeks, and her titer levels for e.cuniculi will be tested to see if they are high (which is usually when symptoms are accompanied) or they are low, which means it took care of the parasite….for now….or forever. Keeping fingers crossed as really there has never been a cure in the past.

Also, bunnies that do end up with head tilt can do very well once their brain adjusts to the new view. Also, you should contact Marcy at SaveABunny and ask her about "Cameron". He had head tilt due to e.cuniculi – his was severe, and was like that for a long time, but someone adopted him and worked with him with massage therapy, and my understanding is he improved so much.

With Bailey, not only do I give her meds, but I give her leg massages and gently do leg circles that the vet showed me – to help stretch out her legs. I know this makes a big difference, because if I don’t do it for a couple of days, she doesn’t hop as well. I still have to clean out her ears for her since she can’t do it. I usually do it once a week or more if I see her shaking her head to get out something (usuallly a gross loose piece of wax)

I don’t know the exact massage for head-tilt, but it has something to do with massaging the neck area to help with the contracted and expanded muscles due to the tilt. But again, I don’t know how to do that, so check with Marcy and see if she’ll put you in touch with Cameron’s owners.

Again, I am so sorry. As long as Ferdinand is eating and pooping normally, then he’s doing much better than all of who are worrying about him.

I wanted to pass along some info about Ponazruril – here is a Q&A to a rabbit savvy vet, Dana Krempels, on all.experts.com. The person is asking about switching over to Ponazuril, scroll down to read Dana’s answers. It might be something you want to discuss with your own vet.
                                        http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/E-Cuniculi-hind-limb.htm
                                        http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Ponazuril-anti-inflammatory-meds.htm (this one is actually regarding my question about Bailey)

• belleandferdinand
                                        Participant

Thanks for the info – I am not sure on the titre levels but will add it to my list of q’s for my next consultation! I will ask Marcy about Cameron and the massage route. Ferd is being very brave (and I’m being quite brave!) in making sure he stays supported. Not having a litter box is tough in keeping him clean and he gets really fed up with being moved. He’s throughly fed up with being adminstered lots of oral drugs – I didn’t think I’d ever say that injecting was easier, but it is when a bunny keeps flipping! We had a breakthrough tonight when he had a piece of banana and ate it with much gusto. As my vet said, I just have to be patient and think of him as a stroke patient who needs a lot of time and attention to get better. I just wish I could be at home all day to take care of him, I’m trying to “work from home” as much as I can, but with work travel etc it’s going to be tough. Anyway, I will keep in touch with progress… it is definitely a whole new bunny care experience!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Ferdinand has “head tilt”/torticollis/wry neck… any experience?