Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Fenbendazole dose/100mg tube (Safeguard)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Zeus.Loopy
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I rescued 2 baby holland lops from a farm when they were 8 weeks old and recently found out that they have pinworms in their poop! they are both 5 months now and recently spayed and neutered. When i took them to the vet, I specifically told the vet that they have pinworms but they sent us home with no dewormer and no stool test!

I had purchased FENBENDAZOLE 100mg online for horses prior to the appointment. I read that it kills the eggs and worms. is this true?

My question now is, HOW MUCH DO I GIVE THEM? AND HOW OFTEN?

I see people online do HALF A PEA SIZED AMOUNT for their medium sized rabbits. My rabbits are  both around 1.5-2 pounds.

In the meantime, I have been cleaning their litter box every 2nd day and spraying their enclosure down with vinegar and lemon essential oil to prevent eggs from spreading.

I have small syringes measured in ML 0.1,02,03 and so forth. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!!

• Bam
        16882 posts Send Private Message

Please note that we can’t give veterinary advice here. We are not vets. If you feel at all uncertain about the dosage, please contact your vet and ask.

Not all vets recommend treatment for pinworms in rabbits. Pinworms are not considered a health threat to the rabbit. My vet says she treats, because it doesnt feel nice for the owner if their bun has worms.

Fenbendazole is effective against pinworms. Normal dosage is 20 mg per kilo body weight and day. The dewormer is to be given for 5 days, then nothing for five days,  then dewormer again for five more days.

Fenbendazole strenght is often written as 10% which means 100 mg per ml. I don’t know if the horse paste also contains 100 mg per ml. It could perhaps be difficult to measure up with a syringe since it is a paste, but a syringe can be loaded from the back if you pull out the plunger. The paste in the syringe can be packed by hitting the loaded syringe against the table to try and get as much air as possible out. If the strength is 100 mg per ml, 1,5-2 pound buns should get about 0.2 ml each.

(A horse would need 5 mg fenbendazole per kilo body weight and day (a lower dose per kilo than a rabbit needs). If the strenght of the Safeguard fenbendazole you have is 100 mg per ml, that means a 600 kilo horse would need 30 ml of the fenbendazole paste per day. Does this seem to fit with the info on the Safeguard fenbendazole you have?)

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Fenbendazole dose/100mg tube (Safeguard)