Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Feeling discouraged and scared of spay

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lemski
      Participant
      63 posts Send Private Message

My bun is 6 months. I adopted her about a month and a half ago. She’s pretty social: always hoping around, will check out us, and even my toddler (we give treats). She doesn’t seem to like being petted. I’ve been slowly trying to pet her when she gets a treat but she’s always moving her head or flinching. Her back seems ok but doesn’t seem like she enjoys it. I posted on another board but kind of feeling like she just doesn’t like me or something. I know some buns don’t like being petted but I was really hoping she would like it every once in awhile. She’s getting spay in about 10 days and I’m scared about giving meds after the surgery since I feel like we don’t have a bond.  i keep reading awful stories about things that go wrong post spay and it’s freaking me out. I can’t even cut her nails and not sure how I’ll give meds.

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

I completely understand the feeling. But don’t get discouraged! Some bun’s take time. Here are some relaxing tips that might help forge a bond: Rabbit’s like calm music, like soft piano, or meditation (when I play it for my bun’s they will sit, listen, and relax) maybe you could do this and while she is meditating, slowly reach over and give her a pet? Maybe try to have a calmness, and gentleness around you and pet her? I’m sure you will form a bond with her, although she might need some time to get used to things. 🙂

As for the spay, as long as they are rabbit savvy, I’m sure you’ll be fine. My rabbit’s just got spayed 11 days ago, and their incisions are healed, and they are acting fine. 🙂 Although before the spay, I did worry a lot, but the vet did wonderfully! 🙂 The vet will most likely give you instructions for the meds and will give a check-up call to see if there are any questions.

Hope all goes well! 🙂

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

Don’t feel discouraged! Shy bunnies can take a while to enjoy pets. My advice is to play hard to get! It sounds weird but it works. 🙂 I’ve found when I try to pet while giving treats they are just concerned with getting the treat. I’ve found they are most likely to accept a pet when they are already relaxed. Spend lots of time on the floor with her just ignoring her (read a book, watch tv, etc.). When she gets to the point where she will relax near you, you can try a pet then. If she flinches, don’t force it and try again later. The nose, cheeks, and ears are the places bunnies groom each other, so they really like pets there. Petting the back can make them feel like they are going to be mounted (bunnies will groom each other’s backs when they get ready to mount), so it can be a bit of a sensitive area for some buns.

In terms of meds, don’t worry! Many bunny meds taste sweet and they actually enjoy them. You might try offering her a bit of mashed banana in a syringe to get her used to taking a “treat” from the syringe before hand. Some of my bunnies will actually try to yank the syringe out of my hand when the medicine tastes good. That said, even if she doesn’t like them, she will forgive you. We all need to occasionally do things for our bunnies that they don’t like (like nail trims), but it’s kind of a tough love thing. They might thump at you, but they’ll get over it. 😉

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
            16899 posts Send Private Message

Dana – That’s true about pain medication. Metacam is usually favored to be sweet and most bunnies will eat it willingly… some even get a bit greedy about it! Antibiotics are always what gave me trouble. I think the flavoring just doesn’t cover up the yucky antibiotic taste enough. Some are worse than others. There was one that was really bad and I can’t remember what it was now.

• Trixieandcookies
              Participant
              77 posts Send Private Message

I felt the same way before i got my bun spayed although she did have complications(they are really rare) it was so worth it! It helped me bond with her and her behavior was sooo much better after the spay. It took awhile to really bond with her and that was just her. With my last bunny we bonded so fast! My poor baby died from gi stasis(i did not know what it was then) He only lived less then a month after his 1st birthday 🙁 (so young). I never got him neutered because i was in 4h and he was my show bunny if i had him now he would be neutered.And he had a LOT of behavior problems due to not being neutered. He sprayed everywhere and was impossible to litter train. Sometimes he would get super aggressive too and bite HARD. Trixie on the other hand was really scared of anyone who even came into the room she would jump into her little bed and hide with her eyes huge. This went on for like a month. Around the time she was old enough to be spayed( 6 months) She would let me pet her but she never gave me kisses or really pet her. Now almost a year of having her she finally gives me kisses and pets :). It all depends on the bunny. Trust me its totally worth it for the ever lasting love and joy they give us.

• Dface
                Participant
                1084 posts Send Private Message

Some bunnies might not be afraid of you per say, but they still wont trust you. For a prey animal, 6 weeks is a very short amount of time to gain true trust. One of mine took over a year with me before spontaneously deciding I was the greatest thing in the world.

Some rabbits just dont really appreciate pets, particularly young, teenage rabbits (which your little lady is). Luckily thought  she sounds happy to hang out with you so I say just let that be your relationship for now and dont keep forcing the issue if she clearly isnt going for it, like DanaNM said, otherwise you’ll just keep frustrating each other.

I neutered two rescue boys that at the time had trust issues and I had next to no bond with and were horribly skittish. They were grumpy at the time, and you’d swear I was the devil incarnate! I had to be cruel to be kind, and I had to get my tough love blanket out, and swaddle them to get the meds in some days!  But they got over it and forgave me fairly quickly once I stopped man handling them.

Rabbits are very forgiving, and this will in no way affect your bond with her long term – I  say this as someone with rabbits that need nebulisers and injections and oral meds (all twice a day sometimes!) and they really dont bother holding it against you (if anything im closer with that bunny as a result of it )

• Peanutthebunny
                  Participant
                  239 posts Send Private Message

its ok she will probably warm up to you and your family and the surgery will all go well

• theo_ct
                    Participant
                    24 posts Send Private Message

One of my buns Pumpkin took a very long time to become social because of her difficult history, dont feel discouraged, your bun will come around. After the spay you could try mixing the meds with a bit of fruit so that it is more tempting – Pumpkin actually liked the taste of the painkillers so she did not object to taking them. Oh, and none of our buns let us cut their nails, they hate being held!

Wish you lots of luck

• Lemski
                      Participant
                      63 posts Send Private Message

Thanks everyone. That makes me feel better. I was just feeling so down about it but I appreciate everyone’s suggestions and in put. She really seems to like attention and hanging out so we will just leave it at that until she shows me signs she wants some lovin lol my old bun was so loving. He warmed pretty quick and was super affectionate. He wouldn’t leave the cage and one day he jumped out, landed in my lap and never wanted to leave. I guess that’s why I’m feeling so discouraged with my new girl but will give it some time. I’m sure we will eventually build our bond.

I am feeling slightly better about post spay now  lol

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Feeling discouraged and scared of spay