Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Feeding Questions

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mindy
      Participant
      31 posts Send Private Message

I have a couple questions.

1.  What kind of hay should I give to a bun who doesn’t like Timothy?  The only other hay I can find at the store other than alfalfa is Orchard Grass.  My bun is 11 months old.

2.  My bunny hardly eats any of her pellets, I only give her a quarter cup a day and she hardly touches them.  She also doesn’t drink much water, or eat much hay (Timothy), but she loves her fresh veggies and always finishes those.  Should I be concerned about her hadly touching her pellets, water, and hay?  I have been slowly introducing her to veggies and increasing the amount because she had never had any before coming to live with me, so I’m worried that she isn’t getting enough to eat because she is only eating like a cup of veggies a day.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Orchard grass is perfectly fine and preferred by many rabbits over timothy hay. You do want her to eat plenty of hay so do try the orchard grass.

No, you should not be concerned about the pellets but you will want to make sure she gets plenty of assorted rabbit friendly greens. You can also wet her veggies down if you are concerned about her not drinking enough water.

Do you use a bowl (crock) or water bottle for water?

• Mindy
          Participant

She drinks out of a bowl. She absolutely refuses to touch a water bottle. I always make sure her greens are really wet when I give them to her, hoping that she will get enough water from them since she doesn’t like to drink water. I read somewhere that you can put a drop of vanilla extract in their water to try to get them to start drinking more, is this safe? Anyone recommend this or is she getting enough from the little she’s drinking in combination with the dripping wet veggies?

• skunklionshow
            Participant
            1257 posts Send Private Message

I have anti-Timothy hay rabbits.  I’ve tried many different hays…turns out that their picky little buts prefer super fresh.  I just started getting the binky blend and they LOVE it!  I can’t believe I waited so long to get it.  From what I understand, some people choose a pellet free diet.  However, I notice that when the food and water are not being inhaled as much as usual, it means that I need to have Leo’s teeth checked.  He can’t drink out of a bowl, plus he just knocks it or throws it around, so its a waste.  Even when his teeth are bad he won’t drink out of a bowl.  He just drinks less from his spigot.

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

hmm, if she’s not eating pellets or hay, it makes me also wonder if she’s having a tooth problem. you haven’t seen any signs of drooling or grinding her teeth in pain, right?

I’d also recommend trying the bunny blend hay from binky bunny too. I’ve never heard of adding vanilla to the water before, so am not sure if that’s a great idea. You can add a tiny amount of all natural apple juice (no sugars added) or even make her tea with herbal caffeine free tea to give the water a oomph.

It’s good that you’re really wetting down the veggies though.

• Mindy
                Participant

I haven’t seen any sign of teeth problems, no drooling, no grinding, and she’s running around like a crazy, happy bunny, so I don’t think she’s in pain. I will try a different type of hay and see how it goes! Thanks!

• MimzMum
                  Participant
                  8029 posts Send Private Message

I would only comment that I wouldn’t want to use vanilla extract because it contains alcohol. I can’t imagine that would be good for a bun’s digestion in any amount.
                    Is that her in your avvie? Gosh, she looks almost exactly like Mimzy! What a cutie!
                    Hay is a really important part of their diet to keep wool block away. I agree that she might do well to see a vet, just to be sure the teeth are okay. Wet veggies are a good way to sneak in the H20. ^^

• Mindy
                    Participant

Thanks for all the advice! I got some Orchard Grass this evening, so we will see how she does with that. If she won’t eat that, then off to the vet we go!! Oh, and yes that is my bun in my avatar! She is very cute when she wants to be, but she is also good at looking very grumpy and mean! It amazes me how much her emotions show in her face!

Thanks again!

• Floppy
                      Participant
                      490 posts Send Private Message

that is so odd. Mr Floppy doesnt care much for Orchard…or that Bermuda grass… he sticks to his Timothy.
                        Some rabbits are really picky…I get the American Diner Timothy Hay and Oxbow pellets, i find that the Oxbow
                        pellets although they cost a little more than Kaytee, is a lot greener and smells better– just looks healthier.
                        Anyway, goodluck with that!!! Tell us how it goes!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Feeding Questions