Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Fecal Mats + New Rescued Bunny

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • ManDuke
      Participant
      18 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I could use some advice. Less than a week ago we took in a rabbit from the Humane Society. We’ve taken in rescued rabbits in the past and expected the upset stomach poos and other messes. I thought I notices fecal mats but was unable to get a good look for awhile. As she’s gotten much more comfortable I was able to see that she did, in fact, have some pretty large ones. Her personality and eating show no signs of illness and I’ve noticed that she’s been able to remove a few chunks herself. While she does have a vet appointment at the Humane Society on Monday, I was wondering if there was anything I could do safely before then. I’m sure they’re not comfortable. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi ManDuke, welcome to Binky Bunny! That’s great you help out rescued rabbits! So, I am guessing that these are mats of poo on the bum and not mats of fur? You can try removing them safely by patting in some pure corn starch or pure corn starch baby powder, letting it sit and gently rubbing them to encourage them to come off. Poor thing. Are there any normal poos at all? I am thinking that maybe this rabbit did not get hay in the diet, start slow with easy veggies and a good quality pellet, but it sounds like you might already know that. : )

• ManDuke
          Participant

Thank you so much for the tip! It’s exactly the type of advice I was looking for. It is definitely fecal mats and I’m afraid they may have been there for awhile (pre-adoption of course). She is starting to have some normal poos now that she’s had a few days of constant hay and appropriate rations of pellets and bunny salad. She didn’t have a very good diet where she was. The Humane Society had placed her at an adoption booth at a local pet supply store and, while they meant well, there was little hay, unlimited pellets, and a lot of high-sugar yogurt treats. I was afraid she would be spoiled on junk food and not eat for awhile, but she LOVES salad.
            I’m going to give corn starch a try -if she’ll let me- she’s a spunky girl! Thanks again!

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

Ask the vet on Tuesday to give her a sanitary shave too – that will help until you can get her diet regulated.

It does sound like pellet and sugar overdose.

Thank you for adopting her too :~) She’s a lucky rabbit.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant

You are so welcome! I am very glad you got the advice you needed, that’s what we are here for! I totally agree with Sarita, pellet & sugar overdose. The sugar will really imbalace the “friendly” flora in the GI tract. That is so awesome she loves salad! What a lucky bunny!

• ManDuke
                Participant

Well, I’ve got a not so great update. Madeline is much worse off than I thought. Her tract is really messed up from the bad diet so extra care needs to be taken. On top of things, she has to go into surgery due to a lump I found. Due to the location, her age, and the fact she’s not spayed it may be ovarian related. Her weight will also be a worrisome factor during the surgery. She’ll be getting spayed as well since they will already be operating there. Keep your fingers crossed for her!

I’m pretty upset with the pet supply place that was supposed to take care of her. While they couldn’t control that she would get a lump, their negligence makes removing it that much more dangerous. There’s another rabbit being kept there and I don’t know if I can handle knowing that its not getting the proper care. Maybe I can volunteer to check on the placed rabbits for the Humane Society since they don’t have the means to make the rounds themselves. I don’t know, its just very upsetting.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant

Oh no.   I am so sorry to hear about Madeline, maybe it is a mammary tumor like Baby had (babybunsmum).  I hope the operation is successful and the tumor is contained and has not spread throughout her body.  ((((plenty of healing and positive vibes)))) I would be furious too with the pet supply place but thing is, she is better off now. Please let us know with the surgery is and how she does and the results of the tests.

• babybunsmum
                    Participant
                    3896 posts Send Private Message

(((madeline)))  that is upsetting.  poor thing.  how old is she? 

as scarlet_rose mentioned, my 7yr old bun baby had a mamary tumor removed.  this was in nov’07.  unfortunately since she was never spayed my vet was initially worried it was related to uterine cancer but her prelim xrays showed no signs.  the biopsy of the tumor removed confirmed that it was indeed mamary tissue.  they had no statistics to offer me about cancerous mamary tumors in rabbits, but since the operation baby has thrived and is seriously enjoying herself!  thats all that matters anyways.  i’ll keep my fingers crossed for sweet madeline that she sails thru her surgery & recovers well too.

• KatnipCrzy
                      Participant
                      2981 posts Send Private Message

Nice to see another Michigan bunny owner.  Was she adopted thru Kent County Humane Society?  If so, I am surprised that she was not already neutered.  The KCHS vet, Dr Swift is a great vet for small animals- I worked with her at another clinic.

Best of luck with your bunny- and you are a great owner to stick with your new friend thru “sickness” and in health. 

Hopefully you will be able to get her on track nutrition wise.  If you don’t mind my asking which vet are you taking her too?  I know there are a few vets in the Grand Rapids area that see “exotics”- as I take my parrots to a Grand Rapids vet- as there is not a Avian vet in Holland.

Julie

• osprey
                        Participant
                        2065 posts Send Private Message

{{{{{Madeline}}}}}

Surgeries are always scary.  Good luck little one.

• Gravehearted
                          Participant
                          2428 posts Send Private Message

sending lots of good healing wishes to Madeline and I really hope the surgery will go well. I really hope the tumors turn out to be benign and hope you’ll let us know how things are going.

Pet stores are often very negligent when it comes to animals who are ill – often they’d rather let them suffer or even die than get them proper medical treatment, it’s very distressing.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

Vibes for Madeline, keep us posted! *Fingers crossed* and *hugs*

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

Welcome ManDuke!!

Its so kind of you to take in rescue bunnies, especially ones like Madeline that really could use your help. I hope that all goes well with the vet. Thanks to you she will be much healthier going into the surgery because you got her on a better diet, I think that will help a lot in getting her through the surgery and recovery. I also think bunnies do so much better once they have someone that cares about them. Me and all of my bunnies are keeping you and Madeline in our thoughts today and we hope to hear good news soon!

As far as the fecal mats – I’m assuming now the vet had been able to help you with that, but in the future, at the rabbit sanctuary where I work we run lukewarm water (careful not to be too hot) in the sink, and then have one person hold the bunny’s bum under the running water while the other washes the bunny’s bum carefully to get the poops off. Then we towel dry with some paper towels. It doesn’t work perfectly but does help loosen the mats and get the area cleaned up.

• ManDuke
                                Participant

Hi! She was adopted through the KCHS, I guess they avoid spaying females because it’s invasive. I thought it was strange though. I’m glad you know about Dr. Swift because she should be doing the surgeries. We actually don’t have a vet here yet because we’ve only just moved to the Grand Rapids area. I’ve started the research & interviewing process but if you have any recomendations that would be great!

Thanks to everyone for the postivie vibes!

• KatnipCrzy
                                  Participant
                                  2981 posts Send Private Message

One of the first vets that pops to mind in the Grand Rapids area is Dr Bennett- his clinic is on 28th St by Division.  He was the vet for the John Ball Zoo until the position became full time and they hired an on-staff vet.

Dr. R. R. Bennett
                                    Animal Clinic
                                    133 28th Street
                                    Grand Rapids, MI
                                    (616) 241-3651

I met him when he gave a presentation at Great Lakes Avicultural Society- Bird/Parrot club.  He showed us as pet owners in depth, hands on health issues with some dead pheasants.  It was an experience I was glad to have.  I know it probably sounds horrible- but it allows owners to better understand a bird anatomy and what to look for, etc. 

The vet clinic I work for in Holland refers most exotics to him- especially if the animal, such as a parrot is ill, it needs to see an exotics vet.  Although if someone won’t drive the 45 minutes our vets will try as long as the owner knows this is not the best option.

Fortunately, one of the vets were I work is interested in small animal stuff- she has a house bunny of her own.  And she has even done a leg amputation on a gerbil for a client, and numerous rat surgeries too.  I definitely trust them enough to spay my bunny- they have all the knowledge and up to date meds and monitoring equipment- but if my bunny were to ever become life endangering ill- I would take her to Dr Bennett who has more experience treating ill exotics.

I know there are some other vets in GR that might work out for you-

http://www.amcwyoming.com/

Animal Medical Center of Wyoming is also a great vet clinic- but I have not talked to them about treating bunnies.  I took one of my parrots there to be seen- but that doctor has since moved.  And I am not sure who there sees rabbits- but I am pretty sure that someone there does.

If you have any question about any vet in the GR area- please feel free to ask- working in the industry gives me a good edge on who to trust and who to avoid.

Cascade Vet Clinic is also top notch- but I am not sure if they see bunnies.  I took my dog there for an emergency procedure that our clinic did not have a small enough endoscope to do- and I would not hesitate to take another pet there if needed.

Julie

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Fecal Mats + New Rescued Bunny