Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Excessive mounting & fur pulling in bonded pair

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cazza108
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I have a pair of bunnies (both aged 3). They have been bonded for about a year with no issues.

Out of nowhere, the male bunny Bailey is excessively mounting his female partner Cooper, and pulling out hair on her back. The only thing I can relate this to is it started soon after his vaccines.

They go back to lying together and grooming each other soon after but it is quite disagreeing to see a bald patch developing on Cooper’s back.

Could anyone advise on this?

Many thanks!

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm, vet visits can sometimes trigger issues due to one rabbit smelling weird. Other triggers can be illness in one rabbit or seasonal changes (longer days can trigger some hormonal behaviors). If both rabbits seem healthy and things tend to resolve on their own (don’t turn to a fight) without you intervening, it’s best to just monitor and let them sort it out. It may help to bring them to a neutral territory for some bonding sessions to help them sort things out a bit more calmly.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
          16870 posts Send Private Message

Obsessive humping can sometimes be a sign of stress.

• Cazza108
            Participant
            7 posts Send Private Message

Thankyou so much for the replies! I can’t think of anything that would’ve caused stress apart from the vet trip but that was about a month ago.

I’ll definitely try some neutral bonding again!

• DanaNM
              8901 posts Send Private Message

A final thought is that excessive mounting can also be a symptom of a urinary problem. Sometimes sludge or stones can cause irritation to the urinary tract that triggers mounting. One of my buns will mount more when he gets more calcium in his diet as well. If the neutral space doesn’t help I would have him checked out by the vet just to be sure!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Excessive mounting & fur pulling in bonded pair