Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Ethical Issues in adopting.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • xnovalentine
      Participant
      309 posts Send Private Message

As most of you know, Lullabelle just got spayed and I’m starting to think about adopting another rabbit in a few weeks. I was thinking about where i should adopt from, and I’ve called around several places in my area comparing the types of places to adopt from but I’m struggling with the ethics of it all.

a) I could adopt a rabbit from the local animal shelter, PAWS , which euthanizes its animals after so long. The problem with this is that they will not allow me to bring lulla to the shelter to do some bunny dating. That means there is a risk of adopting a pefectly great bunny but lulla not liking him. I want to adopt from the shelter because of the risk of euthnasia, but I dont want to have bunny wars either. Also, the cages that the rabbits are kept in are horrible, and it saddens me. All they get is a steal cage with a thin layer of news paper and food and water. All of these reasons are why I prefer to adopt from this shelter, but like i said, the risk of bunny war is high.

b) I could adopt a rabbit from a no kill shelter 30 minutes away from me, and they would allow me to bring lulla to meet the other bunnies. The issue I have with this is that this is a no-kill shelter and I know that none of the animals will be euthanized due to not being adopted. I undestand that these rabbits are just as deserving as any other bunny, but they will not be at risk of losing their lives. Its also 30 minutes away, and that is a long drive in the car for both bunnies.

c) pet store. YES i know what your thinking. But there is a pet store in the area that does not spay and neuter their rabbits, or any of their animals and I was thinking about the possiblities of them going to a home that does not have an understanding of the behaviors of unaltered rabbits and ending up being set free or in a shelter.  I also am willing to get the bunny spayed/neutered as where someone else may not.

What is everyone’s opinion about the different places to adopt from? Perhaps your perspective will help me decide where to adopt from. Thanks!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Well, I definitely would say “no” to the pet store as this perpetuates the problem for animal shelters – you buy one and they get another and the cycle really never ends – it’s not that these rabbits aren’t deserving of a good home – they certainly are but pet stores only really see animals as a profit and that being the case, they will continue to sell unaltered rabbits to anyone regardless and if it doesn’t work out, where do they end up as you said in the shelter – doesn’t help the problem really.

As for the local shelter – it would be great if you knew that you got a “match” for Lullabelle because they do euthanize – however if it doesn’t work out with Lullabelle you’ve got a bit of a problem and will have to make the commitment to keep them separate.

As for the no-kill shelter – do they get their rabbits from shelters where they may be euthanized? If so and you adopt a rabbit from them then it could open up a space for them to bring a rabbit in from a shelter that would euthanize them. Obviously they cannot take all the rabbits that might be euthanized if you adopt from them but it opens one space up and that can save one life.

• MarkBun
          Participant
          2842 posts Send Private Message

I would do as Sarita says and check with the no-kill shelter. I know that Rabbit Haven here will go to kill shelters and take bunnies that are on death row when they have the space for them.

• kralspace
            Participant
            2663 posts Send Private Message

Boy, do I know how you feel. I”ve been struggling with the same question. After I brought my ‘foster’ home, I couldn’t bear to take him back to the shelter once he was in good shape. He was so happy here, even tho he had stolen the lovely Pringles from my other bunny Daisy, I just couldn’t do it, especially with his dental problem.

What has made me feel better over the past few months is watching petfinder and the forums for the nearby rescue groups. I would see bunnies pop up on Petfinder, if not adopted after a while, I would see messages going from them out to the groups asking if someone would come get them to save then, then after a few days or so, I would see the same bunny now appearing under one of the resuce groups, in foster care.

So to avoid the same problem as you’re worried about, the mismatching, I decided this morning to adopt from one of the rescues. I know from watching them, that this will open up a home for another shelter bunny when the time comes, and Daisy will be able to speed date some ladies. And I’ve been assured they will work with us to find a loving match, even if the first choice doesn’t work out.

I hope you can find a similar compromise that will help everyone, I know it’s so hard to leave one in the shelter, but you’re adopting from a rescue may be another’s ticket out.

good luck, Kathy

• Frostyleo8
              Participant
              25 posts Send Private Message

I too have felt the same dilemma, and opted to adopt from our local shelter to save Gwynny from euthanasia and miserable conditions.   I took a chance, but within a few weeks of getting used to each other, Gwynny and Hudwyn were cuddling/grooming and have been in love ever since.

I do agree with the suggestions below, however and feel that if you go with a rescue you’ll 1) be more assured of getting the best match for your existing bunny; and 2) make space available for the rescue to save another shelter rabbit.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

• BunnyLugs
                Participant
                117 posts Send Private Message

I say go with your gut. You can make most situations work if you are the sort of person who perseveres. You’ll be kicking yourself if you don’t go for the most in need, I think. You do get a sense of a rabbits personality before you take it home. I took a chance with my three, they never met at the sanctuary as they tend not to do that here. Some people believe any two rabbits can be bonded with enough effort. But it IS a risk, go with your instincts, and the no kill sanctuary sounds like the sort of place that may co-opperate with ‘paws’ without any personal gain, so that would be worth a shot too.

• Lisa_43
                  Participant
                  1499 posts Send Private Message
                    I would ask the shelter if you take one of their bunnies can they make a commitment to get one on death row at paws.

Explain the reason you didn’t go to paws and hopefully they will do that for you.
                    I defiantly agree with the others as I have seen some rabbits just don’t bond and it is a big risk to take.

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

no way to the pet store, supporting the industry isn’t the way to go. i think in your heart you know there are bunnies that need rescue and to find a forever home.

as Mark mentioned our group, Rabbit Haven routinely rescues bunnies from death row at the local shelters. So, you might check with the no-kill shelter to see if you adopt from them if it that would in fact clear space for one of the endangered bunnies at PAWS.

It may also be that you could talk to paws about fostering, so that way you could bring home a potential bunny for a few weeks and see how he bonds with Lulla without making the full commitment to adopt him?

• skunklionshow
                      Participant
                      1257 posts Send Private Message

My rescue & foster experience has not been w/ buns, but cats & dogs.  I ran a grant funded program at the SPCA in Philly for a spell.  Anyway, one thing that I have learned is that shelters can be accommodating if you explain your needs & the best interest side of things.  It has been my experience that most shelters lack the knowledge and education re: small mammals or really anything outside of dog/cat.  If you really feel the need to get a bun from your local shelter, ask to speak directly w/ the adoption manager or shelter education director.  Often, if you call the shelter adoption section, you are more than likely dealing w/ a volunteer that may not be amenable or knowledge about bunny bonding.  Shelter employees have the best interest of animals, even if they seem less than accommodating.  I believe that many people can get "jaded" when seeing the bad/sad side of the world too much!  I work in psych  and I hate to say it but seldom shocks me anymore….I’ve heard some really sick stories of abuse & neglect w/ children.  However, I honestly believe that some people really want to see the good in others.  Good Luck!

• Ash
                        Participant
                        165 posts Send Private Message

I say Shelter or rescue. Have you talked to the Manager? Usually if you talk directly to them and tell them your reasoning they are pretty understanding.

I called the shelter to ask if I could bring in our rabbit to make sure they did ok and they said that’s fine. So we brought Mr.B in and the lady I asked gave me this “you are totally insaine where did you hear that we do that” type of look and then I told her about the lady I talked to on the phone and she was like “oh,, ok, just take himin the room and shut the door behind you”. OK now picture a tiny room that has 2 cat kennels tall and 4kennels long of cats FACING 3 cages of rabbits( Poor little bun buns) and that was the room we were allowed to let the bunnies meet, not to mention the kennels had a good 6 inches from the floor to the bottom of the cat kennels. But anyways went off subject, even the unsuitable stubborn shelter will allow it.

* just to vent for a second.. when we first got Mr.B i thought “hey maybe we could foster a rabbit if they are going to be put down, until they find a home” so I called and asked if that was doable and the answer: “No, we don’t do that”. So they’d either take poor care of an animal or put it down! I’m not saying oh give me a free rabbit (that’s only $10 anyways since they don’t spay or nueter rabbits there) and I’ll sell him, no I was thinking the family would go through the shelter process and I’d bring it to the shelter or they’d come to the house and the shelter would still get their money. I really wish there was a rabbit rescue over by me.. the closet one is in Orlando which is an hour away.

• JK
                          Participant
                          2223 posts Send Private Message

I really feel your pain. I totally understand about not adopting from pet stores BUT we have one here and there has been this adorable little white lop that I have watched grow and grow and no one has “bought” him yet. He’s been there for 6 months. It really breaks my heart. I feel like I want to “save” him from a life in a pet store. I won’t but it kills me to see him in there looking so depressed. I say the rescue or the shelter and take a chance. You just have to go with your gut though. You’ll be saving some lucky rabbit no matter how you look at it.

• osprey
                            Participant
                            2065 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for taking the time to think about the buns that need homes.  It is a difficult decision, and like someone above said, at some level you have to trust your gut.  I’ll add a couple of more points:

– If you go with the no Kill/rescue option, the space you free up will be almost immediately be filled by a death row bunny or an owner surrender from a neglectful home.  There is no reason to feel guilty about it if that is the way to go.  As gravehearted said, we at The Rabbit Haven will fill slots in foster homes as soon as bunnies are adopted, either from kill shelters or owner surrenders.

– If you go the shelter route, be aware that many shelters do minimal vetting on their rabbits.  The shelters here routinely screen and treat for URIs (Upper Respiratory Infections) and for parasites like fleas, mites and Coccidia, but not all shelters make this investment in their rabbits.  Please make sure that any bunny you introduce Lullabelle to has been properly vetted by the shelter or by you after adoption.  The last thing you need is two sick bunnies on your hands.

• xnovalentine
                              Participant
                              309 posts Send Private Message

Thank you everyone for your opinions, they have really helped me a lot. Unfortunately, I have danced around with PAWS animal shelter on the dating issue, and they do not allow fostering either.

I have e-mailed the no-kill shelter in regards to where they get their pets from, I see from your suggestions that this will be the way I want to go if they do save animals from shelters that put their animals down. If they do not rescue from kill shelters, I think I will take the risk with PAWS. This is sort of what I wanted to do in the first place due to them putting the bunnies down, but it didint even occur to me that maybe the no-kill shelter would rescue from PAWS or another shelter.

again thankyou, and if you have anymore suggestions please give!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Ethical Issues in adopting.