Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Establish good litter box habits

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyBunBun
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

Recently my baby girl Zelda seems to have a bit of trouble using the litter box. She’s only 14 weeks old and she hasn’t been fixed yet so I’m assuming it’s her hormones coming in that’s causing her to do this. For the most part, she is very good at using her litter box and the new one I got for her seems to work better than the last one as she does jump in and out of it better and uses it more. However, I have noticed that while I do see her using it, she will still drop her pills all over her pen. It’s usually at its worst over night as when I get up in the morning, she’s made a mess. Often, I’ll see her use her litter box then jump out and run over to her pen door and drop a pill right after.

She does fairly well when she’s running around and leaves almost nothing when she’s out. But she has started peeing occassionally when she’s out. A couple of times, she’s jumped up on the couch and just peed next to me or when I laid on the floor to play with her, she ran away while peeing.

I know litter habits can change when bunnies get fixed so I’m wondering if I should wait until she gets fixed or if there’s anything I can do now. She is a very good bunny most of the time; I think she just has a hard time holding it in when she gets a bit excited.

Any advice on how to help her?

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

There’s really nothing you can do besides spay her, she is territorially marking her area because hormones are now acting up, spaying will reduce bad habits and only have the occasional poops outside the litter box but the pee will be 99.9999% of the time. Remember that when she is spayed and if/when she becomes free roam, you’ll need extra litter boxes because buns can be lazy and they don’t want to travel far so extra will keep the place clean

• sweetsheddingbunny
          Participant
          1 posts Send Private Message

make sure u have the right litter box !!! bunnies need to be able to completly turn around in their litter pan ! make sure theres LOTS of hay inside so the bunny isnt stepping in her own pee !! if the bunny does make a mess wipe some of the pee up on a paper towel and put it into the litter pan. same with all her little poops . its normal for rabbits every now and then to make a few messes. good luck !!

• kurottabun
            Participant
            908 posts Send Private Message

Unfortunately it sounds like there’s nothing much that can be done until she’s spayed. These are classic signs of territory marking – you might have to just continue cleaning her mess until she’s healthy/old enough to get fixed. Most bunnies will go through a hormonal spike post-spay which causes them to be extra messy with their litter habits – this will often die down after a couple of weeks, so don’t be alarmed if at first the messiness doesn’t seem to be changing

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Establish good litter box habits