Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A escaping bunny, doesn’t want to clip nails

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    • somebunny
      Participant
      168 posts Send Private Message

hi guys

is there any other way to clip my bunny’s nails? we tried doing the burrito wrap thing but she keeps escaping from the towel and then we can’t catch her!

also, we can’t even put her in a trance, she doesn’t like it at all.

i was thinking of putting her in a cloth bag and cutting a hole in the bottom or something..i don’t know!

any suggestions? need help! her nails are so spiky!

• Moonlight_Wolf
        Participant
        1155 posts Send Private Message

There was an Idea that you could put your bunny in the sleeve of a sweater. There was also a bag thing that covered whole bunny except ears and legs. It was called the bunny be calm bag. Forgot where I saw it shown. You could also go to a vet to get the vet to show you for the firs time.

• minnieservis
          Participant
          98 posts Send Private Message

Ohh I was just going to post asking the same question! My bunny really doesn’t like the burrito idea and the whole upside down thing… and I did it exactly like the sight said too
            Does anyone maybe take their bunny to a groomer to get it done? Like a special one just for bunnies?
            The bag sounds like a great idea… I should try and find it online somewheres

• COOKIE'N FLUFF MOMMA
            Participant
            182 posts Send Private Message

I was also wondering on the same subject- How old does your bunny need to be before clipping their nails? Or can you just start anytime?  Didnt know if baby bunny nails are too fragile to clip so soon.

• ADEE
              Participant
              499 posts Send Private Message

Rains nails get clipped whenever I see them getting long. I have my husband hold her while i clip her nails. I try to do it as quickly as possible. because rain is only on tile and carpet her nails dont get the normal wear that a rabbit housed outside with wood/concrete/exc would get. Im clipping hers about every 3-4wks. Shes young still too so age doesnt really play much of a factor i dont think. I used to use regular nail clippers to do them but now i have what looks like tiny scissors with a hole in the tip for the nail. works like a charm!

• Veronica Vigilant
                Participant
                186 posts Send Private Message

Minnieservis- I actually take my bunnies to their vet to have their nails clipped- it’s not very expensive ($10 at my vet) and my one bun is next to impossible to clip her nails with just one person (and I live alone) so it’s just way easier to have them do it. I think a few other people here do that too, so it’s definately an option to consider if you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself and are willing to spend a little extra money for it!

• RabbitPam
                  11002 posts Send Private Message

All he had to do was see the nail clippers and 4 days of chasing and hiding ensued. Occasionally I would convince a friend or relative to hold him (in a burrito ) and I’d clip them, but just as often I took him to the vets. Bob the Bunny is right, it never cost me more than $12. It was worth it. (And you always could chat with them while they clipped about little things you want advice on, but didn’t need an appointment for.)

• minnieservis
                    Participant

Ohh that’s a great idea!!!! I’m in the process of finding a good vet in my area. I’m looking into using the one I use for my dog and kitten. Hopefully they have all the right answers to the list of questions I have and then I can just take my bunny there. Thanks for the info i didn’t even think of using a vet!

• MimzMum
                      Participant
                      8029 posts Send Private Message

I let my vet do it whenever we take the buns in for checkups or other health problems, but at $70 a visit, that’s an expensive nail trim for us.
                        It took me a long time to get used to clipping my buns’ nails. I have my daughter hold them on her lap and comfort them while I clip. The main thing to remember is watch out for the quick! I have to use a bright flashlight to see my bunnies’ quicks because their nails are so dark in color.

Pip’s nails seem to grow at a furious rate…she just had hers done and already she is raking furrows in me when I put her to bed at night. *groan*

I wish they could just be filed…I am so afraid with my bad eyesight that I’m going to mortally wound one of them. >.<

• Beka27
                        Participant
                        16016 posts Send Private Message

we go to the vet. i’ve clipped Mead’s before but she HATES it (imagine that, right?) and my husband does not like to help me b/c then Meadow will “associate” the bad nail trims with HIM, so he is willing to pay for the vet to do it every month… i haven’t trimmed Max at all, he’s only had it done by the vet tech. he’s such a nervous boy anyways, i def. think it helps.

every bunny is going to be different in terms of how often it needs done. Meadow is a mini rex. mini rexes are notorious for developing sore hocks, and for having long quicks, so she has to be trimmed every month at the very least. other buns can go 6-8 weeks and they’re fine. mark down on the calendar when you trim and visually check the bunny every week. you’ll figure out how often it needs doing.

• RabbitPam
                          11002 posts Send Private Message

Beka, my brother said the same thing as your husband, and stopped helping me!!!! What’s up with that? As soon as he saw any family he associated them with more treats, my brother included. Another guy thing.

• skunklionshow
                            Participant
                            1257 posts Send Private Message

I’m a real pro when it comes to cat nail trims….but I have a terrible time doing the rabbits.  I always seem to cut their quick.  My husband got me a nail clipper w/ a quick sensor.  It’s kinda cool, but just to big to use on a feisty rabbit.  I have the vet do trims whenever I have to take them in….but I was wondering how often should I be trimming?  I know that you should check them as part of monthly maintenance, but when I was at the vet a few weeks ago, the tech told me Jessica’s nails did need to be trimmed they looked good.  Maybe I’m wrong…but I really thought they were long.  Anyone know how long is too long? 

Sorry I need some serious step by step instructions/ help w/ this.  Is there an instructional video on this?

• dmh426
                              Participant
                              433 posts Send Private Message

gotta tell you, if the bunny burrito didn’t work you might be better off just taking your bunny to the vet every 6-8 weeks for a nail trim. Honestly, mine charges $8 for nail trimming and it saves me, and Sophie, a lot of anxiety.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

Yes, if burrito and trancing doesn’t work, it’s probably best to take them in and have it done AND that’s a good point rabbitpam, you can use that time to ask your vet ‘free’ questions

• Sarita
                                  Participant
                                  18851 posts Send Private Message

I doubt though that the vet is going to actually be doing the trimming – most likely a tech or assistant. I either turn mine over on their backs or hold their back to my stomach area when I’m on the ground (depends on the rabbits size too though) and then clip from there. Some rabbits are just natural squirmers and if your rabbit is that way and you do not feel confident holding and clipping his nails then you should consider the vet’s office.

• kralspace
                                    Participant
                                    2663 posts Send Private Message

I got tired of calling myself a whoosy this weekend and clipped the nails on 5 paws. 2 were on the same bunny (Toby), the other three were scattered about.

I was trying to see who I could flip over and clip and who I couldn’t. I was sitting in the rocker just outside of Pringles and Toby’s condo and she watched me do Toby’s back feet. When I put him back in I got this death stare from Pringles that said DON’T YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!! She was standing in a very aggressive postition, tail out and snorting, so I didn’t even try her. I have been picking her up and holding her for a few seconds every day tho.

• MooBunnay
                                      Participant
                                      3087 posts Send Private Message

In addition to taking bunnies to the vet – you could also see if the local rabbit rescue clips nails, and you could make a small donation in exchange for the trim. I bring one of my bunnies to the North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary because he is too much for me to handle (in fact, he tried to beat up Sarita last time….) but other than him,for the rest of the bunnies, I have my husband hold them. A good trick to keep the bunny in a trance is to cover their eyes with one hand. Also, if you are trying to get them to keep still, make sure their body is tipped so that the head is in a lower position than the back legs, this helps keep them still as well.

• minnieservis
                                        Participant

Moobunnay- those are really good tips. I’m gonna have to try that! Thanks

• Deleted User
                                          Participant
                                          22064 posts Send Private Message

I always do in a place unknown to Luey … like outside … Luey comes out with me and I set up a pen on the lawn… that way I can actually hold him in the trance position and cut away!

However, its winter at the moment so that scenario is out of the question. 

This weekend I will be doing Luey’s nails … I place a towel completely over him usually I am in his pen that way the area is small and he can’t escape and I lock us both in … I crouch over him whilst he is covered with the towel and gently pull out his paws one at a time and trim … doesn’t look a good position lol  but its the only way I have found to do Luey’s.  He is less stressed and so am I .

Now back to those Piggy Nails!!

• kralspace
                                            Participant
                                            2663 posts Send Private Message

……I….am….still….processing….”it’s winter here”…………..we’ve been between 102 -107 this week, eeek!

• Ashley
                                              Participant
                                              50 posts Send Private Message

Ahhh…I am so glad that when I got my bunny she apparently has had the nails done numerous time before, or she just doesn’t care – because all I have to do is hold her under her armpits, lay her on her back against my tummy (so all four feet are pointing out) and clip clip clip!  She doesn’t move and just sits there for me to do whatever! 

• somebunny
                                                Participant
                                                168 posts Send Private Message

hello hello! just wanted to update that we have successfully cut hershey’s nails.

i realised that when she’s lying down next to me relaxed she lets me touch her feet, so last night i had the clippers ready and while she was resting next to me i cut her nails slowly – it all went well. i had to do it over 2 nights. tonight my husband was covering her eyes while i cut the nails on her front paws. so now we have a method!

also just wanted to double check, is only cutting them ok or do we have to file them as well?

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A escaping bunny, doesn’t want to clip nails