Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE enticing 3 month old to try greens/veggies?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • KatnipCrzy
      Participant
      2981 posts Send Private Message

I have only had my bunny for a few weeks now- I got Cotton, a mini lop, when she was approx 2 1/2 months old.  I fed strictly pellets and hay for the first couple of weeks as she had not had any veggies or fruit previously.

Now I figure I am past the “new bunny” stage and she has settled in nicely- eating, drinking and pooping like a machine.  I decided to start to offer veggies.  I tried fresh parsley first- she ignored it in her cage and when she was out of the cage if I put it in front of her nose- she did a little jump and twist away.

Ok, even though I spent at least 2 minutes picking out the freshest parsley bunch at the store, I figured- ok, maybe parsley is not a favorite of hers.  So I bought some romaine.  I offered a small piece again- approx maybe quarter-sized.  Still same reaction- she ignores it in her cage- and acts like it is the craziest thing ever when I offer it to her directly.

I have never had a small animal- mice, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc- not want to try veggies.

The only thing she has eaten other than hay and pellets has been  Oxbow Papaya tablets- and even then it took over an hour for her to try the first one that I had to break into quarters.  I am only giving 1 a day- but am wondering if maybe I should crush it and apply some of the powder to the greens to encourage a little nibble?

Should I try different veggies?  The one time I offered a baby carrot- I had the same reaction.  And I only offered a carrot instead of greens was to see if she would like that.

Any suggestions?  I thought I would have to limit her intake to get her on a normal veggie schedule- but I can not even START intake!

Julie

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Julie!  Wow, a bun who won’t try veggies?  That’s unusual.  From the sound of it you remove the offending veggie right away and do not leave it there for furhter private investigation by the bunny without prying human eyes around.  This is a write-up that my local HRS chapter manager wrote and is worth looking over:

http://www.coloradohrs.com/articles/diet_misc_feeding.asp

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

I have left the romaine and parsley in the cage after she snubs them.  But I am offering small pieces about quarter sized.  I tried putting them on her shelf and in her food bowl.  She ignored the ones on the shelf and ate around the pieces in the food bowl.  I have tried offering them quite wet and also dried off.

I am tempted to offer bigger peices that she can not ignore- but I don’t want to overwhelm her gut either.  I read the article and if sounds like I am just going to have to keep trying and not give up.  I am not sure to if I should buy a couple of veggies and rotate those as the offerings or keep with one per week. 

Ironically, the first time I offered the parsley- I pictured the little sprig disappearing between her cute little fuzzy bunny lips and her eagerly looking for more.  i could not have been further off.

Her teeth look OK- so I don’t think that is her problem at all.  Plus she manages to eat a Papaya tablet daily along with hay and pellets. 

I will just have to see what looks the freshest at the grocery store this week.  I did buy some “green bags”- so that will help keep things fresh unitl my finicky bunny decided to start eating greens.

Last night I tried again when we were watching TV with her- and one of the cats tried to eat the Romaine.  That still did not get her interested.  

• Floppy
            Participant
            490 posts Send Private Message

hmm that is odd, maybe you should try dandelions. They seem the be the bunny hit around here.
              Even my bf’s lil one who is a lil over 3 months old started munching on those immediately. I might
              have to try these “green bags.” although I buy veggies every week and a half so they usually stay
              in good shape….

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE enticing 3 month old to try greens/veggies?