Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Enough cage space

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cinnimon&Ollie
      Participant
      300 posts Send Private Message

I currently have two bunnies. They live in a 5 by 2 C&C cage and a 3 by 2 second level, the first level is 19.84 square feet and second level is 7.93 square feet. I found myself on petfinder and found one of my bunnies siblings. He has been there for 6 months longer than Ollie ( his brother ). Would there be enough room for 3 bunnies if I were able to convince my parents?

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

It kind of depends on how much time out of the cage they get, and what their dynamic is like. My feeling is that it’s on the small side for 3 though. It’s also really important to plan for a trio to not work out. So would you be OK with having a pair and a single? Or worst case, the current bond breaking and having 3 single bunnies? The bonding process can take much longer than a pair, and it isn’t guaranteed to work (spoken from someone who has tried and failed for a trio and a quad).

I understand the temptation though!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
          Participant

I am homeschooled so they get about 5-6 hours out of their cage a day. I will try and post a pic but if their cage later. I only can do a trio. I never knew that it could break up my two bunny bond up though. Does that happen often?

• Cinnimon&Ollie
              Participant

I tried to post a pic but it didn’t work so I will try to describe their cage. They have a 16 by 24 inch litter box in the corner 12 by 13  hide hut in another corner a bed that is 16 by 5 inches on the top level as well as a oxbow play post on the bottom level they have a bowl 3 inches in a corner and 2-4 toys. I don’t know if that helps but hopefully it does

• DanaNM

I’m not sure how often, but it does happen sometimes. There have been reports of it on the forum over the years. It seems more common that the trio just doesn’t bond or takes a very long time… there are some members that just finished their trios after a year + of work! Or sometimes the current pair breaks up and one bonds with the new bun, so you still end up with a single bun. I think since you aren’t able to keep a single bun separate, it’s probably safest not to try (unless you can return or rehome the bun that doesn’t bond, which can be sad and stressful).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                Participant

I am able to bring the bunny back if unable to bond. I don’t know if this matters but Ollie and his brother used to be together when little.

• DanaNM

That’s good to know. They won’t remember any “baby bonds” though unfortunately.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                    Participant

Is there maybe a time for a baby bond it hasn’t been that long probably like 5 months

• Wick & Fable
                      5770 posts Send Private Message

I’m unsure what you’re asking, but a baby bond is going to occur with any young rabbit involved in the relationship who has yet to be “sexually mature”. Rabbits do not need to be a part of a baby bond to be happy– as long as you are providing attention/care to all rabbits, they will be fine. The risk of fully accepting and planning your daily routine around rabbit baby bonds is you never know when the bond will break, so it makes your rabbits vulnerable to hurting each other (or breeding, if neither are fixed). A baby bond is not a true bond, so rabbits will not be significantly distressed if not given the opportunity to engage in one (just like how a single rabbit isn’t going to be significantly depressed without a bond mate, as long as the owner gives attention/care).

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                        Participant

Okay thanks, I was asking if they may still get along because when they were babies they got along and it has only been 5 months. But you answered and that sucks that if I do they wouldn’t already be bonded.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Enough cage space