Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Ended up with another bun…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • anneNjoerule
      Participant
      135 posts Send Private Message

I was planning on having one bunny for a while but that didn’t last long. Here’s the story: I have a sweet little dutch girl named Kya. She is a spayed two year old female. She is very playful and has some territorial issues. The second bunny is currently nameless. I rescued her from my mother after I couldn’t stand to see her mistreated anymore by my well intentioned, but ignorant mom. Being a teen I have minimum income so I have to work this problem out one step at a time. I found a rabbit vet for the new bunny who is afordable and recomended by the house rabbit society. The total of a basic exam and a spay would be $140. Not bad at all. However, I am also saving for an ex pen to give Kya (and now new bunny) more room. I am actually not sure as to this new bunnies gender (I’m fairly sure she’s a girl). I also don’t know it she’s fixed but she kind of acts it. She has no territorial issues, doesn’t spray, doesn’t pull fur or dig. She’s super mellow. So I decided to put housing above veteranary care this time. So I’m attempting to bond the two girls. After everything has calmed down (its Christmas too) and the two have hopefully learned to live in peace I will put all my energy into figuring out new bunny’s positive gender.

Okay. I’ve read the bonding journals and done some research so I decided to put the two in neutral territory. Wow, Kya is like half the size of the new bunny and she immediately attacked and whopped new bunny’s butt! I had never seen such anger. I immediately seperated the bunnies (with gloved hands) before Kya could do any real damage. She gave me quite the nip for interfering but I put new bunny out of reach and went to calm Kya. Everything seems normal now  and Kya is binkying about like the spaz she is.

Anyway, I could use some help with my next move. Any ideas or constructive critisizm is fine.

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Don’t be too worried just yet. The first meetings between all my rabbits went just that way: huge anger and ‘butt-whopping’. They still bonded over time and with many sessions. –Try the bathtub next time as a location for their date but wait until a month after Nameless has been neutered. The bathtub is a more stressful setting and can curb some of the aggression. You may still need to intervene but their attacks will wear off if you won’t let them fight.

• MarkBun
          Participant
          2842 posts Send Private Message

I would probably start with the swapping of litter pans and the stunt double technique as soon as you can. Let the old girl get used to the new girls’ scent.

• equalsign
            Participant
            220 posts Send Private Message

Pics of the new bunny?

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

That’s an amazing price for exam and spay. I’d really recommend you wait until after she is spayed tho. Two girls can be the hardest bond, and if they fight now, this can make it even more difficult to bond later.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Ended up with another bun…