Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A End of life decisions.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • RetroSquid
      Participant
      257 posts Send Private Message

Our bun, Daisy has been going through so much over the last month. I’ve made a handful of posts about her surgery and recovery so far, but haven’t posted for a couple of weeks.

She had been doing amazingly well, but with the COVID restrictions at our vet, the appointments have felt very disconnected. Also, we haven’t been able to choose who we see, it’s just been a case of whomever has been available.

The daily cleaning and antibiotics has been stressful, but she has been taking it like a champ until recently. The cleaning is clearly painful, she’s still producing pus and a vet we had never seen before decided to take her off the antibiotics on Tuesday. Since then, a massive swelling has developed under her eye, but her actual wound is now too closed up to be able to get any pus out of it. I went back to the vets for an emergency appointment yesterday and she has been put on another type of antibiotic.

While cleaning her face this morning, we’ve managed to have a better look at her face, the remaining hole and just how swollen, red and tender this swelling over her cheek bone/below her eye actually is. It’s drastically bigger than yesterday, which was bigger than the day before.

We all know that bunny pus is just too thick to drain on its own. And we said at the very, very start that we would try a surgical options once, but we will not put her through it multiple times.

She’s an old, amazing, loving bun, but after everything we’ve been putting her through the last 4-5 weeks, she’s now afraid of us. Hides in the furthest corner where she knows we can’t reach and is just a shadow of who she was.

I think it’s time. We think it’s time. While she still has some quality of life and enjoys a wee bit of banana and a tentative cuddle…

We’ve found a semi local vet who is able to do at-home euthanasia and are thinking of booking them for tomorrow. I don’t want her taken to the scary vets for her last moments. I want her at home where she feels at least somewhat safe…

• RetroSquid
        Participant

Vet is coming at 5:30pm tomorrow…

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for the ordeal you’ve been through with her, and sorry things got worse again after they had started looking up. 🙁

You know her best, and I think it’s a great option that someone can come to your home.

(((Daisy)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
            16836 posts Send Private Message

I am so very sorry, RetroSquid. This is the hardest decision to make. You tried so hard and things looked so promising for a while.

I had to make the same decision for my bun in June, I too had promised him that I wouldn’t put him through any more invasive procedures. I feel like he and I got 1.5 years extra together, but I always knew he was on borrowed time.

I’m glad the vet can come to you. I wish more vets would offer that service.

• RetroSquid
              Participant

I can’t believe she’ll be joining Link and Navi in under 24 hours.

Scheduling it feels wrong. Deep down, I know it’s the right decision. I know she won’t/can’t recover from this and he quality of life will diminish quickly.

She’s been such an amazing companion.

Had so much love to give.

She would’ve been with us for 8 years in 4 weeks.

• Bam

Its not wrong to plan it,  but I think I understand the feeling. (Noone can ever be in your exact circumstances),

It is the hardest decision we have to make, and we all wish we’ll never have to make it. And yet, we are the parents, we are the responsible party. We took it upon is to to carry this little life for as long as we possibly could -and to let it go when time was up.

Daisy knows what love is thanks to you. She will take this knowledge with her into the next life.

• Wick & Fable
                  5770 posts Send Private Message

I know Link and Navi will enjoy her company. I hope you can hold both sadness and be at peace that while hard, this is the right decision. She has such an amazing owner supporting her across the rainbow bridge.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
                    16869 posts Send Private Message

I sorry to hear about Daisy. It really sounded like things were looking up for awhile. 🙁

• RetroSquid
                      Participant

I keep getting little glimmers of hope…

In the garden just now, she’s having a wash and somehow managed to burst the bigger section of the abscess. So just cleaning her up and all of the pus in the swelling below her eye has been drained before it could solidify.

It just makes me think that we’re jumping in to this decision when actually there’s hope.

But, deep down, I know this will never stop now. There’s pockets of pus below the skin, very close to her eye. They could end up in her mouth, behind her eye out anything…

But it’s definitely made me question today’s decision…

• Bam

Highly understandable. I would’ve felt the same way.

• RetroSquid
                          Participant

She’s gone…

I’m broken.

• Bam

I’m so sorry. It is very hard. Daisy was extremely lucky to have such loving, caring owners. You left no stone unturned.

Binky free, beautiful Daisy ❤

• BZOO
                              Participant
                              327 posts Send Private Message

Hugs to you and yours.

It is our last gift to them.  Feel peace you could do it at home, where she was surrounded by love.

• DanaNM
                                8901 posts Send Private Message

Hugs to you and your family. <3

How nice that Daisy got to spend some time in the garden too. She’s no longer in pain now and you can remember her enjoying the sunshine and fresh grass.

(((Binky free Daisy)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 12 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A End of life decisions.