Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Ehh?? ‘Rescue Remedy’..?

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
    • Binkles
      Participant
      823 posts Send Private Message

Ehhwut? I saw this on the BunSpace homepage today….I’ve never seen or heard of it before! Is this a new thing or am I TOTALLY out-of-the-loop..?

Bach Rescue Remedy

Bach Rescue Remedy – Natural Stress Reliever is an all natural form of healing that can reduce everyday stress and help maintain control of your pets health and yours too! Effective in virtually any situation that causes stress or anxiety. Helps restore a sense of calm and control.

http://www.entirelypets.com/bach10.html

Ehh?! Stress reliever for bunnies? REALLY?? Is there really such a thing!? Does this really WORK!??  Anyone ever heard of this?

• BunnyLiz
        Participant
        1212 posts Send Private Message

I believe there was a few people on here that use it. I havent gotten any yet but i plan to in the near future

• ScooterandAnnette
          Participant
          1090 posts Send Private Message

I just gave some to my mother’s dog last night. We’ve just started obedience classes and her dog was really tense and the first week to the point of crying through most of the class. I brought the rescue remedy last night and gave her a few drops about 10 minutes before class and within half an hour she was noticeably calmer.
            – Annette

• kralspace
            Participant
            2663 posts Send Private Message

wow, I could use a snort of that stuff!! hehehe the bunnies get all the good stuff

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

i bought it last week. i’ve been using it for Max b/c he’s a bit skittish still (3 months after coming home) and for Meadow, well, b/c she needs to be brought down a peg or two… lol. i put a drop on a papaya tablet, kind of let it soak in a bit and then give it to the bunnies. not sure i’ve noticed a big change, but it’s natural, and i’m only giving a small bit, so i don’t think it hurts.

• ScooterandAnnette
                Participant
                1090 posts Send Private Message

Kralspace, I believe it was originally designed for people and then someone discovered that it can be used on animals too. I know there’s one that’s been packaged up for pets but I’m fairly sure it’s the exact same thing just with different packaging. They may not have wanted to put “hey you can use it on your pets too!” on the original packaging in case people thought hmmm I don’t want to take the same thing I’m giving my dog…

It says something like 5 drops for a person, I gave the dog 3. When I gave it to one of our cats I gave him one. He might have gotten 2 though, it was kind of hard to get into him.

One of these days I’m going to sneak some into my mother’s water glass.
                  – Annette

• kralspace
                  Participant
                  2663 posts Send Private Message

that’s interesting to know. My two seniors are so freaky about being picked up for nail trims I wonder if it would help to give them a tiny bit to make it go easier?

• Binkles
                    Participant

Wooowww this is amazing! Are you guys POSITIVE this stuff is safe for bunnies? This would revolutionize nail trimming, brushing, and traveling!

• Beka27
                      Participant

i haven’t noticed it doing *unbelievably amazing* things… there might be a small difference, but don’t think it’s like an instant tranquilizer or anything… lol. as long as you do a small amount, one or two drops a day, it is perfectly fine.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Binkles! We’ve had several conversations in the past regarding Rescue Remedy and I am one of the avid users of it. It works great for pre-vet trips and pre-travel or during times of stress like right before I give them a bunny tune-up or before the fire works on the 4th of July. I’ve used it for years, one of my vets recommended it and I’ve used it since. For some they do not see a difference, but for my two, it really, really helps. I put 4 drops in their water crock the night before if I know ahead of time (or remember). If not I does them with about 2-3 drops in the mouth. It has been suggested that it would make the water taste bad but my two actually like it. I think that is because it is made of flowers and they love chowing down on chamomile and roses, it doesn’t phase them. There are two kinds though, one with an alcohol base and one without. I haven’t been able to get my hands on the alcohol-free formula but the alcohol base is O.K. too. I made sure to ask my vet about that when he suggested it at the time.

• Beka27
                          Participant

at the vitamin store i went to, they only had the alcohol one. you might be able to get the alcohol-free online tho…

• MimzMum
                            Participant
                            8029 posts Send Private Message

Duh! Should’ve thought to use this before nail trims the other day! *headdesk* I have the spray, which I used to ease Pip into the transition of living in my room with Mimzy months ago by spraying two squirts in her sleeping area so she would receive the benefits by smelling it. I agree, it’s not “Instant Bunny Slumber” but it does seem to make things go a bit smoother.

• Binkles
                              Participant

Well wow you guys! Thanks for the info! I had no idea about this. Lol, yeah I was pretty sure it wouldn’t put them completely out. But even so, something’s better than nothing when it comes to bunnies!

Anyone have an approximation for how long it lasts? And does anyone know if it slows down the GI tract and/ or makes them less prone to be enthusiastic about munching on hay and such?

• MimzMum
                                Participant

I don’t think it has any effect on the GI tract. And mine still eat hay like it’s on fire whether they are remedied or not. ^_^

• Scarlet_Rose
                                  Participant

I have not seen where it has had an adverse effect on the GI tract at all. In fact it has in the past helped them to eat when they were stressed – when they calmed down, they ended up eating. As for the amounf of time it takes to work, a dose directly in the mouth takes about 5-10 minutes, and diluted in water it takes at least overnight – depending on how much they drink.  My two eat a TON of hay at night and so they drink a lot of water overnight.  Indivdual results will vary, try a small dose at first - like 1 drop. Or like Mimz said, try spraying it for the aromatherapy benefits.  Also if you have a pair and spray it on the forehead of one, the other will lick it off.  That could be another way to get a rabbit to take it.

• jerseygirl
                                    22338 posts Send Private Message

I’ve read of a similar product (Nervatona) being used by putting a drop in the ear to help calm a bun before travel. This product and Rescue Remedy are homeopathic remedies that are absorbed thru the tissue. i.e. instructions often say put drops under the tongue (humans!) so it is absorbed direct into bloodstream. Guess it makes sense that same would work thru tissue in the ear (i think the top of ear, not actually down in the ear because that sounds risky). There is also suggestion to dilute and use as spray for inside ears or mouth. Anyway, I read this on a breeders site who also has a rescue. She’s a vet nurse and also trained as lab assistant and then technician for a vet lab. She’s independantly studied health of rabbits (anatomy, histology, pathology) so I reckon she’s gained some experience!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                      Participant

Hmm, I’m really not sure that I would put it in a rabbits ear. Can you imagine how uncomfortable that would be and it would be introducing water which will create an environment ripe for bacteria and infections I would think.

• MimzMum
                                        Participant

I used to put Laxatone on Mimzy’s paws so that he would lick it off when he washed his face. (Needless to say, it made me uncomfortable to think he would get it in his nose, so we started putting it on a cardboard tube and he’d lick it off that.)
                                          I wonder if you could just spray a bit on their paws and have them lick it up? Would that be too much of a dose?

• Scarlet_Rose
                                          Participant

Mimz, I don’t think a small spritz would hurt. I also thought that if you had a pair, spritz some on the forehead of the mate to get them to lick it off. Great idea!

• jerseygirl
                                            22338 posts Send Private Message

I think the instructions mean to put 1 drop on upper area of ear. Could even put on the outside. But – yes, moisture potential prob, especially if it ran down into ear! If the bunny agrees, giving dose orally seems way to go.

I’ve never tried giving rescue remedy but I am same as Binkles – if it has no adverse affect I’d be interested to try.  I know it doesn’t do anything for me!

• MimzMum
                                              Participant

I can relate jerseygirl…I am a hardcore anxiety case, so I have to bring out the big guns when my nerves need calming! ^_^

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                Participant

Oh no you poor things. What about a cozy cup of chamomile tea with a few drops of Rescue Rememdy or even some valerian or passion flower? That lulls me into a nice relaxed state.

Oh O.K. jerseygirl, I thought you meant inside the ear canal not spritz or rub on the outer ear.

• rabbitsmba
                                                  Participant
                                                  475 posts Send Private Message

I used it on my wedding day – it totally took the edge off my nerves. It’s great stuff!

• vashira
                                                    Participant
                                                    57 posts Send Private Message

I’ve used it on myself, when I was stressed. I didn’t notice any difference at all. I can tell you it tastes like alcohol. Cognac to be more specific.
                                                      Personally, until I know 100% it’s good for rabbits would not mess with it. That’s my opinion though.

Then again, here’s another one I’m not sure of…has anyone heard of giving their rabbits a dietary supplement called Sunshine Factor dende oil? it’s suppose to be an oil from a fruit in Brazil. 100% organic Brazilian red palm oil (dende)

My exotic’s vet sells it for use in birds (which I think it was originally meant for) and rabbits.

I don’t know of anyone other then my vet who recommends this for rabbits. Any input on it?

• Beka27
                                                      Participant

never heard of that, Marie. what is the oil used for, does it have a purpose?

• vashira
                                                        Participant
                                                          Posted By Beka27 on 09/16/2008 3:08 PM
                                                          never heard of that, Marie. what is the oil used for, does it have a purpose?

It’s suppose to be high in animo acids. Good for kidney I believe. Funny how no one other then my vet has heard of it being used with rabbits.

Makes me really wonder.

The manufacturer’s website has added it (use in rabbits) onto their description on their bottle, if you magnify it. The bottle I have at home with the

old version description does not say anything about rabbits.

• rabbitsmba
                                                          Participant
                                                          475 posts Send Private Message

A friend of mine uses the rescue remedy for her bunns – she rubs a drop of it on the inside of their ears. Not down INside the ear, just on the fleshy underside – she massages it in.

• Lightchick
                                                            Participant
                                                            1017 posts Send Private Message

Are you guys using the Rescue Remedy from the people-vitamin-store, or a pet-variety?

Just curious!

• Beka27
                                                              Participant

the people vitamin store. i was assured that it’s pretty much the same thing. i’m thinking the pet kind is porbaby just more expensive. i dose a papaya tablet with one drop for each bun.

• Lightchick
                                                                Participant
                                                                1017 posts Send Private Message

Interesting…Thanks, Beka! Will keep this in mind next time a car-trip is in order!

(Whole Foods is becoming my new bunny-supply store! They have dandelion greens, and watercress, and Orange Guard, and dried pineapple, and I coincidentally stumbled across Rescue Remedy the other day, too! It’s very funny, because I NEVER shop at Whole Foods for myself…too expensive! Glad I have my priorities straight… I want it-nope, too expensive. Bunnies might like it–well then, of course!)

• vashira
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Posted By Lightchick on 09/18/2008 6:12 PM
                                                                    Interesting…Thanks, Beka! Will keep this in mind next time a car-trip is in order!

(Whole Foods is becoming my new bunny-supply store! They have dandelion greens, and watercress, and Orange Guard, and dried pineapple, and I coincidentally stumbled across Rescue Remedy the other day, too! It’s very funny, because I NEVER shop at Whole Foods for myself…too expensive! Glad I have my priorities straight… I want it-nope, too expensive. Bunnies might like it–well then, of course!)

That is funny …it’s the same here, I shop at Planet Organic for the buns but can’t afford it for myself. They eat way way better then I do.

• MimzMum
                                                                    Participant

Oh snap! I should’ve used some on Pip today when we took her in for a nail trim! *forehead slap*

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                      Participant

I use the people kind too, Whole Foods is expensive so I shop at a local place called Vitamin Cottage. You may want to take a peek in your yellow pages to see if there are any local places. Most likely they will be less expensive too.

• Carrot Lane Bunny
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        186 posts Send Private Message

its not only for bunnies my daughter uses it for anxiety issues it really work it tastes horrible but works wonders

• Furface
                                                                          Participant
                                                                          618 posts Send Private Message

My vet does homeopathic treatments as well as regular vet care. She told me about Rescue Remedy.
                                                                            It is wonderful for any sort of stress in bunnies, cats, dogs, & people.
                                                                            She also said she carries it in her purse & it should be in every first aid kit.
                                                                            She explained that it is so good for shock that in any sort of accident, the very first thing she would reach for is Rescue Remedy & then the phone for the stretcher/hospital/vet etc.’
                                                                            I said,” You mean if you saw a dog get hit by a car, you would reach for your purse & administer Rescue Remedy before loading the dog in your car?”
                                                                            She said, “Absolutely! Don’t run to look for it, or waste time searching but, if it’s right on hand, it has saved many lives preventing shock.”

• luvmybunny
                                                                            Participant
                                                                            576 posts Send Private Message

I will have to look into Rescue Remedy, there is a store near me that probably sells that. Sounds like it is good to have.

• angelicvampyre
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              754 posts Send Private Message

I gave this to a bird and worked wonders on her. never thought to try it on my bunny as he is a little strung out about a new environment but may be worth a try. As I said I know it birds if works wonders!

Viewing 36 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Ehh?? ‘Rescue Remedy’..?