Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A eczema?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • laylalover
      Participant
      52 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I was tickling layla’s ears, and i noticed some dry spots. Her skin on her ears is all dry and very flaky…is it the heat? what should i do? it doesnt seem to be bothering her…thanks!

• Princess*Smudge
        Participant
        285 posts Send Private Message

hmm I’m really not sure, but I’d be interested to know if this is the same kind of thing Smudge gets on the underneath of her ears (not really the inside but the underside of her ear if that makes sense) it basically looks like dry skin and it doesn’t really flake off that I’ve noticed though. It also doesn’t bother her at all. I actually just assumed it was dry skin but now I’m curious…

Edited: heheh I’ve been struck with a brilliant idea! I’ll start a bunny moisturizer.. (sp?… wow and I’m supposed to teach english) line!!

• laylalover
          Participant
          52 posts Send Private Message

i think it could be the same thing! like flaky almost scaly looking skin. it doesnt bother her at all – just me! I think bunnt moisterizer is a great idea i thought maybe it was because i was icing her ears. (not like cake or anything-he he) it gets pretty hot here and she has little little ears so i sometimes ice her ears to cool her down – she loooooooves it! anyways, i thought that could be causing the dryness…do you perhaps do anything like that to smudge?

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

i’m not sure what that could be. bunnies can get ear mites but i think the ear would look more red.

• Princess*Smudge
              Participant
              285 posts Send Private Message

Hmm I don’t ice Smudge’s ears but I do give her a frozen water bottle that she loves to lay next to and there are many times that she has an ear or both resting against of on top of it. I had my best friends sister (shes a vet tech and going to school to be a vet) look at it when they stopped over, she said she was pretty sure it was just some dry skin because here (I live in Calgary, Alberta) we have no humidity and so we have very very dry air. Then she was showing me how her dog has the same thing, he is a big great dane x german shepard and his “ear flap” has the same kind of thing just some flaky dryness. She said it can come and go depending on how much moisture is in the air from the weather or just in general, or just how sensitive the skin is. I don’t know where you are located but maybe this is the same thing Layla has? Basically I guess all animals get dry skin just like we do, Teresa said to just be aware of it. If it ever gets red, irritated, the skin is peeling or she is constantly scratching at it then a trip to the vet would be good because it can be something more serious and they would have a cream or something to help. Oh also their skin can get sunburned similiar to ours, I don’t know if you take layla outside but she also said that an afternoon in the sun might have caused the flakyness if she had gotten to much sun and the skin that was exposed is dried out. I guess sort of like how we flake if we burn lol, but they have fur for protection so its no where near as bad. Another thing she said was it could be a combination of the dry skin and bits of “bunny ear wax” just making their way out and keeping things from getting in like hay dust and other things in the air. Anyways I hope this helps, I trust Teresa and I think that she is going to make a wonderful vet. I’m just going to keep an eye on Smudge’s ear. We’ve had a few rain storms and I’ve noticed with the mugginess and added humidity her ears look pretty normal again.

Edited to Add: She always reminded me that she’s not a vet yet, these are just explanations she thinks based on what she’s seen and what she knows from experience but trust my (and your) gut instinct, if it doesn’t look right or good then a trip to the vet is worth it to put your mind at ease. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A eczema?