Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Eating Problem

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

My bunny Mocha is eating alot of hay! I dont know why, I’m worried because she eats at least 3 bowls a day every time I come back into my room her bowl is empty!!! I am freaked out that she might eat herself sick….or to death! Can that happen?

HELP!!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Actually eating unlimited hay is recommended so I don’t think you have a problem with the hay – the more the better. Most rabbit owners wish they had this problem.

What else are you feeding Mocha?

• Deleted User
          Participant

OHHHH!!! Ok I didn’t know that….I am feeding her some pellets (she LOVES them) and some carrots (but only once in a while) I also gave her a bite or two of a banana a few days ago. I have only had Mocha for four days now and she has been eating like crazy, thats why I was worried.

THANK YOU!!!

p.s. I know this is off topic but, why wont she let me pick her up yet? I know that sounds wierd since it is only the fourth day, but my mom said I have to learn to handle her or she will have to go back to the Humane Society!

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

Ideally they are supposed to eat a lot of hay.  You probably should have a hay rack or something better than a bowl that could contain a larger amount.  Make sure to check out some of the links on food above so you see that this is very normal and the way it should be!

• JK
              Participant

I forgot to ask you.  I’m curious – are you friends with Gishebawik-anong?  I’d be interested in hearing how she’s doing with her Jumpy Bunny since she seems to have disappeared from here!

• Sarita
                Participant

Yes, please check out under bunny info at the top the diet link. Carrots are a treat and should be fed sparingly. She should also be getting plenty of greens.

Rabbits do not like to be picked up either – it is better to get with them on the ground and pet them.

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits do not like to be picked up – I do not pick up any of my rabbits unless it is necessary. Rabbits are prey animals, so it really frightens them to be held off the ground where they can’t escape if anything happens, so I would not recommend holding your bunny except when doing necessary things like clipping their nails. I don’t even pick up my bunnies to put them in their carriers to go to the vet – I let them hop in on their own.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                    Participant
                    2517 posts Send Private Message

As Sarita pointed out, many rabbit do not like to be handled. Some don’t mind being picked up, some tolerate it, and some will kick and scratch and wiggle the moment you try to pick them up! It’s all a matter of the bun’s personality and background.

Bunnies definitely have a lot of personality. Let mom know so she doesn’t make a happy rabbit go back to the shelter!

• Bunnies4ever
                      Participant
                      368 posts Send Private Message

As stated, most bunnies don’t like to be picked them up which is why they aren’t good for small children. I read a post on craigslist of this family whose child kept trying to hold and cuddle their bunny and the bunny bit the child and now the famiily was tryng to rehome the bunny. However, there is the rare bunny that loves to be held and cuddled. I met one in the shelter. I held him and he cuddled right up to me and let me pet him and stayed in my arms for the longest time. When I clip my bunnies nails or groom them, I always sit on the floor so they aren’t too high off the ground. Kahlua and Chloe will tolerate me picking them up and holding them, but not for long.

• JK
                        Participant

I’m really lucky as Edson loves to be picked up and held and snuggles right in on my lap – he’s a real snuggle bunny.  I guess that’s pretty rare!

• xnovalentine
                          Participant
                          309 posts Send Private Message

are you feeding mocha greens? greens should be the #1 thing you’re feeding mocha. Greens are like fresh romaine lettuce (no iceberg), parsley, cilantro, etc. the house rabbit society has a list of acceptable greens. they should be fed to mocha daily and limit her pellets. Like others said, its great that she is eating so much hay and keep handing it out.

• Deleted User
                            Participant

Umm… well there are alot of things to answer, umm…..yes I do know Gishebawik-anong, it is necassery to pick up my bunny and no I havent been feeding Mocha her greens I didnt know what kind of greens I was supposed to feed her (I am a new owner). But I will start today!

• Sarita
                              Participant

Why do you think it is necessary to pick up your rabbit?

• babybunsmum
                                Participant
                                3896 posts Send Private Message

it’s definitely neccessary to handle your bunny because you will have to help keep them healthy (see the monthly maintenance section under bunny info) or be able to take them to vet appointments.  but picking up your bunny for cuddles or pets is NOT neccessary nor is it natural for a bunny to go along with this. 

the best way to connect with your bunny and to help your bunny trust you so you can pick it up when neccessary, is to spend lots of time right on the floor with your bunny.  one of the forum members reccommends sitting on the floor & reading a book.  bunnies are curious creatures so when you do this, and don’t pay attention to them, they will wonder what you’re up to & come to you to check it out.  its very cute!  be patient because this can take a while.

i think you mentioned that your parents said you had to be able to pick up your bunny.  i imagine they problably want you to be able to properly care for your pet, which is great!  you may just have to show them this website to help explain about rabbit’s nature.  they’ll be better able to help out if they understand too.  good luck!

• JK
                                  Participant

I figured you were friends or sisters.  How is she doing with her bunny?????We would all like an update!!!

• Deleted User
                                    Participant

I think it’s necassery to pick up Mocha because she gets on my bed and wont come off for like 15 minutes and before she went pee on my bed (GROSS)!!!

Gishebawik-anong is doing great with her bun…..and we are friends. Her bunny isnt so jumpy anymore but it is a bit annoying (not to sound rude). This is the fifth day of having Mocha and she does at least 20 binkys every time she is out of her cage.

• babybunsmum
                                      Participant
                                      3896 posts Send Private Message

lol… yeah you do need to be able to handle mocha to keep her safe & out of spots she shouldn’t be in.  it’s so cute to see your bun on the bed… i know… but since it smells the most like you it’s quite likely that mocha will always mark it with poops & pee.  because of this i’ve had to restrict my bun from my bed & from the couch too.  these silly buns will try to get into all sorts of places they shouldn’t be so it’s a constant effort to keep an eye on them isnt it? 

• Scarlet_Rose
                                        Participant
                                        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hello, in reference to feeding a bunny I think this is a very good place to start: https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=60

Here is a complete list of veggies: https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=144

Let us know how it goes and please keep us updated!

• Deleted User
                                          Participant

Hi guys

I am back!!! is it okay to feed my bunny bananas?

• Beka27
                                            Participant
                                            16016 posts Send Private Message

if you feed her bananas, it has to be an almost microscopic piece… i would suggest no bigger than the size of a raisin or maybe a grape… PER DAY!!!  they are very high in sugar and can only be used as a treat, if you feed her that, that is also the only treat she gets that day.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Eating Problem