Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A E. cuniculi and head tilt

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnybaby3
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Has anybody’s rabbit/bunny had e.cuniculi and been treated with Panacur? The minute I saw symptoms I looked it up and brought him to a emergency clinic. I’m a first time bunny owner so I’m constantly worried and looking things up. They prescribed him with Panacur for the e.cuniculi and its been about a week since him taking it. In terms of symptoms, he is better and lively, its just his head tilt that is still a problem and even a worsening a little bit. It’s really concerning me and stressing me out because hes on the panacur but I know that sometimes things get worse before they get better but I dont know. I want to or intend to take him to a vet asap but as of right now if anybody could offer me any information, past experience or anything I would be super grateful 🙁 <3.

• Azerane
        4688 posts Send Private Message

Panacur is the right treatment for E.c. I’m assuming an ear infection was ruled out as a cause. In terms of the tilt and treatment, from what I have read it is not unusual for the tilt to continue to worsen before it gets better. It some cases even if the E.c. is fixed, the tilt will sometimes remain either to the full extent or a lesser extent. E. cuniculi can also recur as it never truly goes away, it sort of just sits dormant and tends to recur if the rabbit is stressed or ill from another cause.

• bunnybaby3
            Participant

Oh okay thank you! Knowing this makes me feel a bit more reassured. 🙂

• Asriel and Bombur
            Participant
            1104 posts Send Private Message

Bombur has EC, and it can take a bit sometimes before the Panacur can really take full affect. Bombur has been on back to back rounds of EC meds a few different times to resolve symptoms. Sometimes that’s just the way the cookie crumbles. Bombur has recurring flare-ups when he’s under stress from things like moving, or a bad molt. Bombur doesn’t have the neurological symptoms like your bun has, but EC and Panacur are definitely things you need to be patient with. Unlike an antibiotic where you see progress in a day or two on medicine, Panacur progress is usually around the 2 weeks mark. As I said, if there’s not a ton of improvement the vet will usually do a back-to-back course to get things under control.

EC is a paraiste, as Az mentioned, so it may come back again, or he may never get another flare-up in his life. The important thing is that it doesn’t mean he’s unwell or unhealthy, or doomed to death. No one would ever guess Bombur has EC by the way he runs around like a maniac for food, or hops on the couch for pets, or all the naughty things he does. It’s just a hiccup in his life, and your bun’s life too. The head tilt may take some time to go away, but he can still lead a productive and happy life with it.

• bunnybaby3
              Participant

Hmm okay thank you~ 🙂 Yeah everything else about him except his tilt is fine and good he seems. They are such fragile creatures it can be so scary for me. Thank you for this information and sharing your experience!

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A E. cuniculi and head tilt