Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A E cuniculi and GI stasis

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • seymour
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

My bun Seymour is around three years old and has had four instances of bad gas/GI stasis that required (expensive!) emergency treatment. The first three cases were about 6 months apart, but the most recent one, which is currently ongoing, is within 3 months of the last. 

He has a very fibre-rich diet, receives only a tiny amount of pellets, and eats a ton of hay. He is free-roaming so gets lots of exercise, his teeth are fine, and he’s not a “chewer” so I don’t think he ingests anything weird around the house. We’ve never been able to determine what the underlying cause of the gut problems is, which I know can be hard to figure out. So frustrating! 

Today at the vet they suggested that E. cuniculi could be an underlying cause of GI stasis, and did some blood work to determine if EC might be present. Has anyone had experience with a EC – GI stasis connection? I hadn’t heard about this from my previous vets, and my Googling has not turned up very much. I would love to hear from you if you’ve had an EC diagnosis, or if you have any other ideas about what might be causing chronic-ish gut problems in such a young bun! 

Thanks in advance. 

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry no one answers this yesterday. I personally haven’t had experience with those two combined. I would suggest starting treatment for EC as test can come back falsely negative and positive so it’s best to treat it no matter the test. I hope someone can help you further on this issue.

Nose bumps to you two!

• Asriel and Bombur
          Participant
          1104 posts Send Private Message

Yes! My Bombur’s EC is mostly gut and kidney related. I have to have him on a super strict diet or else he will start going into stasis. The kidneys are the main thing affected by his EC, but his gut isn’t the greatest because of it. He gets a small fruit treat once a week, 2 tablespoons of pellets, 1.5-2 cups of greens and unlimited timothy/orchard hay. He had a really bad form of stasis about a year ago called Enterotoxemia, which is typically fatal. My vet didn’t catch that it could’ve been EC related until he started dribbling pee and peeing outside his box. But then she said his frequent gut issues are also a sign of it. We always keep gas drops, reglan, and critical care on hand just in case he ever has an issue and we are unable to get to a vet. Bombur is also only a year and a half, so I very much feel your frustration!

Contrary to what Bunny House has said, EC drugs aren’t really going to help the gut much, especially because you can’t obviously predict when he’s going to have stasis. The best way to manage it is honestly through his diet and keeping his stress levels at a minimum. Some EC drugs can also cause a severe decrease in white blood cell counts, so unless he’s having an active flare up of EC with a non-gut related issue, I wouldn’t do it. 

• Boing
            Participant
            253 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I’ve heard of it too. Cincinnati often has tummy troubles. It may be an indirect cause. That’s what his vet implied. He has major kidney issues and some water in his lungs or on his heart. I forget which, possibly both; his issues affect so many organs and systems it’s hard to keep track. But she made it sound basically like he has very little energy for exercise on account of all of this, which isn’t good for gut motility.

• seymour
              Participant

Thanks, everyone. It’s helpful to hear about your experiences. We haven’t gotten the results of the EC test yet, but I’m curious to see if he has it. At least then we would have some sort of explanation! Either way, we will continue on with the careful diet and healthy bun lifestyle

Have either of you treated for EC and seen an improvement in the gut problems? Can EC even be cured, or just managed?

• Asriel and Bombur
                Participant

EC can never be cured, only managed. Bombur has been on 4 rounds of Oxibendazole, and the drugs didn’t help his GI tract much. Really being strict with his diet has had the greatest impact. The EC drugs are mainly going to make a difference for symptoms that are urinary or neurological in origin.

EC can have a false negative result too. So unless your bun is in the top tier for antibodies, the odds of EC coming out as a positive are unlikely.

• Asriel and Bombur
                  Participant

EC can never be cured, only managed. Bombur has been on 4 rounds of Oxibendazole, and the drugs didn’t help his GI tract much. Really being strict with his diet has had the greatest impact. The EC drugs are mainly going to make a difference for symptoms that are urinary or neurological in origin.

EC can have a false negative result too. So unless your bun is in the top tier for antibodies, the odds of EC coming out as a positive are unlikely.

• seymour
                    Participant

Hmm ok. Seymour’s titers came back positive for “moderate” EC, so we are starting on a 28 day treatment of fenbendazole. The vet seemed concerned that these levels could put him at risk for kidney and/or ocular disease, so I guess we’ll start with this and see. Poor bun.

• Asriel and Bombur
                      Participant

Bombur’s is kidney related. He dribbles quite a bit and is prone to urine scald during a flare up.

• Kiwi
                        Participant
                        2 posts Send Private Message

What ended up happening? Did he recover from gut issues after the ec treatment?

My bunny is going through the same

• Bam
                          16879 posts Send Private Message

Kiwi: This is an old post. We ask members to not reply to old threads, it is unlikely that the original posters are still active on the forums.

I do happen to know, though, that the bun Bombur who is mentioned in the thread is still around, he’s an old man now 🙂

Please start a thread of your own on this topic. EC is a topic that (sadly) never gets old. If you make a new thread and describe the situation your bun is in, you’re likely to get more answers.

ETA: Kiwi, I’m sorry, didnt recognize you at first!

I do think it’s better if you write about your bun’s case in the first thread you created! Its easier for people if all info is gathered in the same thread.

EC can most likely cause stomach problems, but it’s not very well known. EC can technically affect any organ system that has a high blood flow. EC is a very “sneaky” parasite the workings of which is not yet fully understood. Panacur, often together with meloxicam, is still the standard treatment. The aforementioned Bombur has had several relapses over the years. He too has a combined problem with recurring  stubborn ear infections.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A E cuniculi and GI stasis