Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Dustin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Aimee567
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I’m new to this page found it whilst looking at things similar to my rabbit who passed away yesterday and looking for support because I’m absolutely heartbroken. I got 2 rabbits nearly 2 years brothers and not much was known about them from the previous owners just that they were around 9 months old and the vets told me they were netherland dwarfs. I named them Steve and Dustin because I love Stranger things and they have been my first own pet and I absolutely adore them. Sadly, yesterday morning I went outside to feed them and I found Dustin lying on his side and I just knew as they would always be waiting on the top part of their hutch near the door for their food and I touched him and realised he was gone. I took Steve and went inside crying and shouting for my mum and my boyfriend came over and helped sort everything out. We’re still not sure what happened whether it was the cold or illness or something else but were taking Steve for a check up tomorrow to make sure he’s okay. We’ve buried Dustin with his favourite treat (Berry loops) and placed some flowers with him and also got some forget me nots to grow over his grave. I’m just really struggling with getting past it and keep crying and thinking I’ve done something wrong he was only about 2 and half years old and didn’t show signs if anything his appetite, drinking, pooping and energy were all fine and it’s just so sudden and shocked me so much and I’ve never really dealt with a pet dying. I was just looking for some words of sympathy and whatnot to help me get by and see others understand my situation as I feel like others see it as minor but my boys really mean the world to me and I hate seeing Steve on his own without his brother now. Thank you for any support

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry for your loss. 🙁

What region do you live in? I ask because there is a virus called RHDV2 that is spreading through north america (it’s in other parts of the world too) that can cause rapid death with very few symptoms. It is highly contagious so hopefully that’s not what it was.

Sadly rabbits hide their symptoms very well, and sometimes things can become serious very quickly. Often in those cases there is nothing that could be done.

Would you be able to bring Steve inside permanently? He would be safer and would likely appreciate the company since he lost his companion.

Again I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ve lost two buns where we had no idea of the cause and it all happened very quickly, it’s very traumatic. Sometimes these things happen but that doesn’t make it any easier.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Aimee567
            Participant

I live in England haven’t heard about that virus but I guess it sounds similar in ways he didn’t show any symptoms no changes in behaviour. Had the vets check over Steve today and he’s completely healthy thankfully. He’s staying inside for the next few weeks before we get him a friend. Thank you for the reply.

• Bam
              16879 posts Send Private Message

The RVHD2 virus has-tragically- been running rampant in the UK since at least 2016. It is very important to vaccinate against it yearly. Here is some info from the RWAF:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-viral-haemorrhagic-disease-rvhd/

I’m very sorry you lost Dustin. It is traumatic to lose a rabbit regardless of the cause, but it’s worse when it happens without warning. Rabbits can pass suddenly and we often never get to know what took them.

I’m glad Steve is healthy and that he’ll be able to stay indoors with you now when he’s become alone. I hope you’ll be able to comfort each other. He will most likely be very happy for a new rabbit friend since he’s lived all his life with a friend. You’re very welcome to come back here for bonding tips (if you want them) when the time comes.

• Aimee567
              Participant

Thanks for the reply. I had them both neutered and vaccinated last summer not sure whether RVHD2 was included but Steve is due in April for his vaccines again so I’ll ask about it then.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Dustin