Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.ย  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.ย  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best.ย 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time.ย 

BUNNY 911 –ย If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?ย  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules.ย 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! ย Don’t have a vet? Check outย VET RESOURCESย 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited.ย The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.ย  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Dorian has a date!

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    • prince dorian the bun
      Participant
      743 posts Send Private Message

Been gone for a bit, so I’ll add a brief recap ๐Ÿ™‚

I have been keeping an eye out for another bun for a companion for Dorian. My shelter has been pretty scarce in the single lady bun department, so I decided to see how a got along with a couple of the boys. He has a playdate tomorrow with a young boy named Theo. Theo is tiny, but has a lot of attitude and very territorial, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. My neighbor is currently fostering him, and we did a stuffed rabbit exchange to see how they would react to each others smell and so far Dorian couldn’t care less and Theo has declared the stuffed bunny is his and it can now not be moved from his enclosure with out him getting upset. I am going with that not being negative, but let me know if it is.

While I have been trying to set up dates with Theo and another young boy named Thumper, a very cute girl bun became available. She was initially part of a trio of what i believe to be siblings, but I am guessing once they hit maturity and got spayed it frayed a bit. I had eyed her when she was part of the trio as she looks a bit like Dorian in coloration but is a lionhead mix, so has a fancy mane. Anyway, visually she’s my top choice, but really it comes down to what Dorian likes.

So here is my question, how to I figure out the best match? I mean if one goes super well and the others are meh, or if any of them are negative then that’s easy… but what if they are all neutral? Also Theo is coming over to my place for the meeting, I am trying to pick a neutral area. One is my front deck, which granted is outside so weather may make that more iffy… the other is the bathroom which Dorian never goes to. How much space is good? Do I initially have a barrier between them? If I am asking stuff that’s been covered I am sorry… I’ll go look here shortly. I was hoping it would be at the shelter itself with someone more experienced watching, but they are really understaffed so since we live close have decided we can just go it alone.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Oooh so exciting! Can’t wait to see pictures of all the eligible suitors!

If all the dates are similarly neutral, I would just pick the rabbit that YOU like the best. ๐Ÿ™‚ Speed dating is really great for ruling out bad matches, so as long as it doesn’t go horribly it has a great shot of working out.

As for space, I would set up an x-pen either on your front deck or the bathroom, either one would be fine. I don’t like to put anything else in the bonding space. Try to put both buns in at the same time, no barrier. Remove the carriers so they don’t end up getting cornered in one. Be in the pen with leather work gloves on (or be like me and use oven mitts lol) and a dustpan in case you need to break up a fight.

Set a short time goal (5-10 min max), and just see how they do! Ears forward is curious and interested, ears back is more aggressive (especially ears back and tail up). Ignoring each other at first is good.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
          Participant

Thanks @DanaNM! I will scrap my idea of using a barrier then. I am a fun mix of terrified and excited ๐Ÿ˜€

I don’t have leather gloves so oven mitts it will be. I just chatted with one of the shelter volunteers and the little girl sounds perfect. Turns out the trio was her and her parents and Mom was over it. Her personality sounds a lot like Dorian’s. I still think him meeting Theo will be good as it will let me know if he is at least curious about other buns. Though Theo is a very spunky little bun (he definitely has a bit of a Napoleon complex). I will go grab some photos here too.

• prince dorian the bun
            Participant

I’m getting an error trying to upload photos. I’ll give it another go later.

• DanaNM

Aww I love dwarf buns’ attitudes! They definitely are spunky! But the little girl sounds like a good fit for sure.

Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
                Participant

Totally love his ‘tude too… I wish I could upload a photo as Theo has a bit of a grumpy old man face too. It’s still saying something went wrong when I go to the photo section.

Also now have an official play date with Waffles as well for Sunday. She is definitely a stunner, her dad is grey like Dorian but a loop and her Mom is a very regal black with gray lionhead. She’s got the mane and blue eyes, with a white stripe on her nose.

• prince dorian the bun
                  Participant

First date with Theo went really well. Thanks @DanaNM for the advice! They just sort of sniffed each other and hopped about around each other. The both seemed curious and wanting to play, but not quite sure. Theo groomed a couple times, where Dorian would come check in with me and then go back. We kept it at roughly 10 minutes. Wish I could upload a photo!

• DanaNM

That’s excellent!!

Always good to have options!

Have you tried the photo trick of adding it to your profile first, so it shows up in your media library?

• prince dorian the bun
                      Participant

Yeah that’s what I usually do but just a word press error when I select photos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaI1zeRv27p/?utm_medium=copy_link

Here’s my Instagram link to some photos of Theo and Dorian during their play date.

• HipHopBunny
                        Participant
                        640 posts Send Private Message

Oh wow! ๐Ÿ˜€ This is definitely exciting news! Dorian seems like the type of bun to get along with everyone, so it will be interesting to see who he ends up choosing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Pictures documenting the journey will be much anticipated! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• prince dorian the bun
                          Participant

Hi @hiphopbunny! How’s the trio doing?

I suspected that he might be,ย  and his meeting with Theo enforced it. He just wants to be friends. It will be interesting how he does with the next bun, especially since that meeting is at the shelter. Hope the noise there doesn’t make him too nervous.

Don’t worry I will be posting all the updates! And pictures as soon as binkybunny site let’s me post them. In the meantime I offer my Instagram photos.

• HipHopBunny
                            Participant

The trio has been hanging in there! Each day they all join together to find destruction, which hasn’t been my favorite hobby of theirs. ๐Ÿ˜• Thank you for asking! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hopefully the next meeting goes just as well! And so long as we have pictures, I’m happy. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• prince dorian the bun
                              Participant

Ah yes bunstruction, Dorian has his moments,ย  but I can only imagine 3 of them all egging each other on could come up with way more creative endeavors!ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

Working on the photos!

• prince dorian the bun
                                Participant

2nd play date with Waffles happened today. She was a very timid bun and stomped a few times, and ran once. But did come back and sniff him. She recently got attacked by her mother who she was in a trio with, so I have a feeling she was pretty traumatized by that. It was maybe not the best date, but Dorian proved once again he is a total sweetheart and would give her space despite not being sure what he done. Long story short, I now have two bunnies and no kitchen! ๐Ÿ˜…

• prince dorian the bun
                                  Participant

Oh and there were noses sniffed and they did hang out for much longer than I would have chosen due to the shelter volunteer wandering off for a while (they were super busy) but no issues other than her occasionally stomping her foot. She didn’t like it when he went and tried to dig the sheets, even though she went and digged the same spot when he wandered off.

I am hoping that I am reading her right and she just needs some time to feel safe. Dorian I think would be friends with just about anyone. If anyone with more bunny interaction experience can read those signs better, please let me know.

also until I can post photos here’s my Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaOSZQzLdGE/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Cinnamon Bun
                                    Participant
                                    205 posts Send Private Message

Long story short, I now have two bunnies and no kitchen!ย 

OMG! Are you adopting/fostering Waffles ? โ™ก

For posting photos I usually add them to my profile, click on add media and then you’ll usually find them there… if that doesn’t work then I have no idea what’s going on. It’s astonishing that there has been no arguing or fighting in those last two bun dates! โ™ก

โ™ก (ยด๏ฝกโ€ข แต• โ€ข๏ฝก`)

• prince dorian the bun
                                      Participant

@Cinnamonbun, adopted! She is now in the “dinning” area of my kitchen.ย  It is one of the few places Dorian hasn’t really been since he hates slippy floors. I also have a smaller apartment.

Both dates went well, I just hope I made the right choice for Dorian and Waffles (soon to be renamed)

There seems to be some tech problem with the photos,ย  it’s being investigated though ๐Ÿ˜Š

• DanaNM

Congrats and welcome home Lillian! I’m sure they will be great together!

Also, just FYI, it’s fine to move her into an area where Dorian has been, and is actually encouraged to help him start to lose track of what’s his turf. You may want to reserve the kitchen as a neutral or semi neutral area for actual bonding sessions. I know it’s challenging with apartments and free-roam bunnies though!

• prince dorian the bun
                                          Participant

Thanks Dana, I was thinking more for her than Dorian. He seems thrilled to have another bunny here… I could of course be misreading, but he seems really happy since I brought her home. I figure she can play in the rest of the house once she feels more at home. I am actually way more worried about her right now as Dorian is just bopping around and keeps finding excuses to go past her pen just to then run back in the room with me and flop. He’s been playing with his toys a lot more too. I do plan on put some of her poops in his litter here in a day to see what he thinks of that.

Oh and this may be a bit gross, but at the shelter he peed a couple times. Granted it was a longer outing than expected and he didn’t have his litter box… but he usually holds it. Also she went over and spent way to much time in it (both of them did ๐Ÿ˜› ). At least they washed themselves after. But out of curiosity what was that about? I have heard of pee being for marking, so maybe Dorian was doing that? But then why did she go in it and start digging it (they both were).

• DanaNM

The peeing definitely sounds like marking! All normal during bonding sessions.ย  Not sure why she dug in it, but buns are weird sometimes. LOL

She might be a little alarmed by Dorian at first, but she eventually should start to learn that she is in a safe place by observing his relaxed behavior.

That’s great Dorian seems happy! It’s not uncommon for the original bun to act upset when the new bun is brought home, but it’s always nice when they don’t freak out!

• HipHopBunny
                                              Participant

Oh. My. Goodness! ๐Ÿ˜€ She’s adorable – he’s adorable – they’re both going to be so cute together!! I can’t wait for more future pics. ๐Ÿ˜‰

That’s nice that Dorian is welcoming to new members! I remember when I was bonding my ladies, they would all flop next to each other and act all sweet, but still do the pee wars. Every time. One would pee, the other would go over to that spot and pee, then the third would flop in it. ๐Ÿ˜ณ It will be interesting for sure to see how the bonding sessions play out! ๐Ÿ™‚

• prince dorian the bun
                                                Participant

oh then that’s a bunny thing ๐Ÿ˜€ย  I hope that isn’t a thing that lasts long though! I am wondering how the bonding sessions work out to0! I am going to give it a few days at least before I start them up. I want her to get a bit more settled and come out of her hidey box a bit more. Dorian will get some pre-bonding as I am not worried about traumatizing him with other bunny smells. Curious what he’ll make of her poos in his litter ๐Ÿ˜€

They do both seem to both love chewing stuff, and have artistic visions for cardboard, so hoping this an activity they can share in the future (and stick to the designated chew toys!)

@HipHopBunny
                                                  were any of your buns more reserved or shy before the bonding? Did that help them come out of their shell at all?

Also where are photos!!

• HipHopBunny
                                                  Participant

“Artistic visions for cardboard” ๐Ÿ˜† My girls have no such profound impact on the destructions they wrought..

Before my ladies were spayed, they’d all lived together for a while. After a fight and some scuffles, I’d looked into the problem and gotten them spayed. So when I’d formally started bonding them, they weren’t really strangers to each other. If any of them were shy, it would’ve been Smokey. She’s always been a timid and submissive bun, but she was still brave enough to flop next to them.

The tactics that you’re using to approaching her reservedness sound good – I think that given time, she’ll definitely come out more. ๐Ÿ™‚

• prince dorian the bun
                                                    Participant

Thanks, I hope so!

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Dorian has a date!