Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Dogs n Buns

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • SeeShmemilyPlay
      Participant
      201 posts Send Private Message

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with puppies and bunnies together. My roommate is dead set on getting a chihuahua/yorkie mix, and since she will be getting a puppy, is convinced it can be trained to be alright with bunnies when closely supervised (I would be making sure the buns and the dog would be supervised closely even after if they’ve been deemed alright together.) I’d be more comfortable with a larger dog breed like a German Shepard around buns, but that’s just from some light research I’ve done about dogs n buns going together, as I’ve never had a dog in my life and don’t know what breeds are like what. I’m reading that chihuahuas can do well with bunnies, but absolutely not yorkies. Should I just stay safe and never introduce them? What are your experiences?
        Also, my buns have decided they hate being downstairs and only remain upstairs, so the stairs would be blocked off and the dog would stay downstairs and the bunnies have free roam of the upper level.
        Alsoalso, my buns will likely be bigger than the puppy, and probably stay bigger than the pup as they both grow.
        Thank you!

• kaylyne28
        Participant
        55 posts Send Private Message

My Yorkie is 11 and I just introduced my baby bun to him in the fall. You definitely have to start slowly in a neutral environment and build up their interaction time gradually. At first I thought Kingston was going to eat Ellie because he was acting strange around her, but as they got used to each other while under constant supervision they’re now great pals!

• SeeShmemilyPlay
          Participant

I’m glad there are such things as good experiences with yorkies and buns! Thanks!

• SeaTurtleSwims
            Participant
            162 posts Send Private Message

It might make your life easier if they are socialized to each other.

How old is the puppy? If it’s a super little one, that’s actually easy as pie to get them properly introduced, compared to an adult dog with zero bun experience or rambunctious juvenile which will take more time/patience.

If it’s a lil 8-10weeker pup, I’d set them on the couch together and watch what happens. If the puppy gets too active (not likely in this sleepy puppy stage) or causes too much stimulation for the bunny, simply place the puppy on the floor with a highly desirable chew toy to distract him and leave him be. These slow, supervised interactions could built quite the friendship if approached in a thoughtful way! If the acclimation is rushed or forced at all, it may backfire and cause over stimulation in pup and a boxing-mad or fearful bunny patience is key. 

If you are starting with an older pup (5months+), I would only do those supervised interactions when the pup is about ready for bed and is super sleepy after being well exercised. This will mean the pup is drop dead tired and won’t be running 100miles an hour in bunny excitement. If it is an older puppy, I would teach “Leave it!” before the introduction. They are rambunctious haha. But something as tiny as a yorkie/chihuahua will probably always be small enough to get it’s butt whipped by a bunny if it came right down to it haha hopefully that’s never the case!!

In the case of my 5 year old beagles meeting my 10week old bunny for the first time, it was probably about a month before they were on the floor together. LOADS of just smelling, petting for being calm, no go lay down and chew your toy if over excited etc etc. Take your time making the bunny nice and boring for the dog so the dog has zero interest in that lazy overgrown potato that doesn’t even make sounds

• Jessica
              Participant
              349 posts Send Private Message

I’ve got a 9 yr old chin poodle mix and he does great with my bun. They were carefully introduced as soon as I brought the bun home, and within the first week they were allowed to be free roaming in the same area with super vision.

We started with the bun in her pen and the dog would come up and sniff, once they were good that way I would let the dog approach her while she was out roaming. My dog I knew would do good, he’s only 4.5 lbs and has been very well socialized with many species of animals.

I think if you are comfortable with it and willing to put in the time and work they could have a great relationship,

• SeeShmemilyPlay
                Participant

Thank you all for the responses!! I have no idea how old the pupper is, but I wouldn’t have even thought to do it when he’s sleepy. Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Dogs n Buns