Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Dog Kennel?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sonn
      Participant
      1810 posts Send Private Message

I am actually asking this for a friends since he doesn’t have a computer. He got a rabbit today he said the woman told him it was a holland lop mini rex mix and had a cage all built for it and it was huge but his babysitter decided to let his 2 year old son in the rabbit room and he peed all over the wooden cage so now it reeks of urine . He has a dog kennel that his dog no longer uses it is 24″ high 36″ long and 23″ wide and wanted to know if this would be big enough for a rabbit cage? The rabbit would only be locked inside the cage of a morning when he takes his son to work and at night. If not he is going to build another cage and install baby gates (he is doing this part anyway)

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

i think that should be fine temporarily, but he should go ahead and make another larger cage. the rule i go by is at least 4 x 2 feet, at the smallest… and even that is too small once you add dishes and toys and litterbox and hidey house… i would rather the rabbit have too much room than not enough.

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

Just be certain the kennel is thoroughly cleaned beforehand with a safe cleaner. Also, ensure the base is solid or put down flooring if the base is wire to protect the rabbits hocks. White vinegar is good at neutralizing urine odour if you’re friend still wishes to use the wooden cage.

• LittlePuffyTail
            18092 posts Send Private Message

My bunny Olivia lives in a dog kennel during her cage time. I’m not sure of the measurements but it’s made for very large breeds of dogs and she is a small bunny, only about 3 pounds so she has quite a bit of room.

• Sonn
              Participant
              1810 posts Send Private Message

Ok thanks I will let him know all of this. He told me today it is only temporary because he likes to build things and wants to build the biggest possible thing he can fit into the room. I am only going by the measurements he gave me. The dog that had it was a giant Great Dane who had to use it when his son was first born but now he doesn’t use it anymore. I will tell him about the vinegar.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

A wire dog crate works quite well as a rabbit home and my two lived in one with freesom to roam outside for many years. My local HRS also uses them to house the rabbits. I also placed a wood shelf in there. From the sound of it, it is quite alright and large enough, especially for the size of rabbit we are talking about.  Of course we all like to see them in larger more spacious mansions like NIC condos and such, but really what your friend has works quite well.

Be sure to disinfect with 1 tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water. Place an old towel on the bottom and voila!

Also look under COOL HABITATS under BUNNY INFO and OTHER, you will see other wire dog crates as well.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Dog Kennel?