Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Does he EVER SLEEP??

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    • PeppersMama
      Participant
      391 posts Send Private Message

I had a question again…lol

Pepper is up all night! lol at least it seems this way. its 3 am here now and he is up and awake and making noise in his cage! lol it doesnt really bother me or wake me up a whole lot, i just wonder if he ever sleeps? lol! Is it maybe because i sleep with my tv on alot of the time, usually the volume is very very low, like on volume level 3 or so…but i dunno the light maybe keeps him up, but he has a box he can go into. i thought i had read that bunnies sleep at night! lol maybe my bunny doesnt! I also thought maybe he is just being a booger. i think he is going through some beginning teenage stages (he is three months) and he seems to have started chewing EVERYTHING , licking EVERYTHING, throwing his toys against the metal cage, grooming me on my face and arms and legs now, and he likes to scratch alot. he scratches the base of my fan and his cardboard box at night (LOUDLY) lol!

Well im hoping giving him more running room soon will help solve maybe his mounds of energy at night. Right now i live at my dads house and i am forced to confine him to a cage at night, which is much too small but the largest commercial cage they sell. i feel horrible about it, but i let him out in my room during the day for about three to four hours, and he seems to love it and binkies and flops everywhere. Luckily I am moving to a new house in Muncie where i go to college and i will be able to set him up a pen, and it will be the largest i can make it with out taking over my room! Will giving him more room solve these problems? I will be getting him neutered, but i have to take him to his first vet visit first, which will be scheduled later today

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Your bunny probably sleeps when you aren’t there Most naturally, bunnies are awake at dusk and at dawn, I’ve noticed that my bunnies sleep most of the day and are more active at night. I think the neutering will help with some of the behavior, but it also sounds like he’s just naturally an energetic guy!

• JK
          Participant
          2223 posts Send Private Message

Yeah Edson sleeps during the day.  I think he’s up most of the night.  I can hear him playing around too.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

i do think every bunny is different. like MooBunnay said, they are CREPUSCULAR (fancy talk for active in the morning and evening). mine live in a room right off of my bedroom, and my hubby likes to sleep with the door OPEN, so every morning at 6 am they wake me up…

this all sounds like normal bunny behavior… he is going to be a bit more destructive before he is neutered, but many bunnies, even after altering, love to chew and dig. it’s a natural rabbit behavior and it can only be “cured” so much. you will find that he is going to get more ramBUNctious (yes, even after he is neutered, the bunny teenager behavior might continue for the first year!)

i think that’s a great idea to get him a pen. dog exercise pens are IDEAL for this. they are 4×4 feet square and offer plenty of room for an adult bunny, litterbox and toys. daily exercise time is still necessary, but since you’re going to college, you want him to have a large, safe area to play in when you’re not home.

oh and another thing… don’t underestimate the power of your schedule.  if you are regularly up in the middle of the night (watching tv, on the computer) this can affect his sleep schedule as well.  i’ve heard a lot from people who work weird shifts that their bunnies begin to adapt to the odd hours.

• PeppersMama
              Participant

okay thankyou all! its a good thing im a hard sleeper and i fall asleep very easily so his noises dont really bother me! i stayed awake because i couldnt sleep last night and he finally went to bed around 4 a.m. I suppose i thought morning and evening awake meant that he slept during the night but was awake until like midnight. lol boy was i wrong! but yes he will be getting a pen and i will have no problem dealing with his energy! i love him so much i would probably adapt to anything he started to do! lol!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

And if they are alert rabbits, even if they are asleep-they’ll wake up when you’re around. I *never* saw Kokanee asleep!! I’ve only seen Rupert asleep a couple times.

Kahlua and CHuck-they pass out anywhere LOL

• MimzMum
                  Participant
                  8029 posts Send Private Message

lolz…sounds like you have the exact opposite problem I do! You want him to sleep, I just want my bun to wake up and MOVE for heaven’s sake! >_<

Although I do notice that both my buns tend t o like to get jiggy just as I’m going to bed…hence why I have to use sleep aids since they live in my room with me! And as far as I can tell, they’re not like your cat or dog, you can’t really get them to ‘play’ with anything during the day to get them to sleep through the night.

• baby_daisy
                    Participant
                    37 posts Send Private Message

Daisy is the same way i hear her all night playing with her toys and when i wake up shes sitting at the end of the cage staring at me like ” hey you wanna open this thing up now” and when i let her out she jumps up on me licks me for a good 2 min and then goes to sleep on my pillow…    

• dmh426
                      Participant
                      433 posts Send Private Message

Sophie plays starting at 4:30 a.m. EVERY MORNING. Normally I hear her fling her empty food dish off the second floor of her condo down to the first floor and fling her willow ball all around. I swear she doesn’t sleep. the only time i saw her even close her eyes briefly was while she was still medicated after being spayed!

• MimzMum
                        Participant

I wonder if it’s a lop thing? 0_o
                          Mimzy looks just like your bun, and Edson, and Luey….

….

I’m seeing a pattern here. *wonders*

I also noticed that while Pip was in my daughter’s room (she’s a heck of a night owl) that while her t.v. or light was on all night, Pip couldn’t sleep and so now, if I try to watch something on late night, she gives me starch and expects me to turn it off so she can sleep!

And Mimzy seems to really like the nightlight.

• Alicia Conklin
                          Participant
                          721 posts Send Private Message

I often wonder when Tucker’s sleeping and when he’s just lounging..I see him lounge often, or bun loaf often where he’s really still but his eyes are open 99% of the time. 

• msarro
                            Participant
                            119 posts Send Private Message

I keep layla next to a window (half of her cage is exposed, half isn’t, so she can get out of the sun if she wants). In the 3 or so days since I got her I have yet to actually catch her sleeping.

• MimzMum
                              Participant

I did have one opportunity to catch Mimzy sleeping and it scared me to death actually. ^_^ He was just sitting in his usual loaf position, but this time his eyes were closed and it didn’t look like he was breathing. I looked in the pen and I freaked out and this squeaky voice came out of me…”Mimzy???” This of course woke him from full repose and he startled up and looked like, “WHATWHOWHEREWHYWHENHOWWHO????” Then I got the stink eye for the rest of the day and plenty of bunny butt….which I richly deserved. >_<

• Cassi&Charlie
                                Participant
                                1260 posts Send Private Message

Msarro, Layla might not trust you enough to sleep properly around you yet. I was finally honoured last night with a bunny flop from my Layla, which she immediately got up from because I made a tiny movement. She sleeps with one eye open directed at me, at the moment.

• Deleted User
                                  Participant
                                  22064 posts Send Private Message

Luey is a sleep sot … he will nap all day and night … even when he is out he is lounging around … he likes lying near the fire and when he has to get up … tis like a huge effort.  The only time he is really active is when he knows his dinner is coming … male thing!!

• PeppersMama
                                    Participant

to let everyone know lol i have been seeing pepper sleep now. it worried me at first because i thought something was wrong! his head was tilted a bit to the side and he wasnt moving except to breathe! i had never seen him do this! so being oblivious to what was going on i stuck my hand in his cage and touched him on the nose to see if he was okay and he jumped up all scared and startled! i felt so bad lol, i realized what was going on after this happened! but yes he does sleep now!

• osprey
                                      Participant
                                      2065 posts Send Private Message

I almost never see my 3 bunnies asleep.  They spend a lot of time sort of stretched out together, or in the hen position, eyes half closed.  They may actually be asleep, but as soon as we enter the room they wake up.

Our foster bunny Cali is a world class sleeper.  She stretches out on her side, head propped up on the hay basket, eyes closed and back feet twitching.  She is like a cat, she sleeps 3/4 of the day.

• MD
                                        Participant
                                        49 posts Send Private Message

My two rabbits never close their eyes, even when they sleep. I can only tell they’re sleeping when I see their noses stop twitching. So sometimes when bunnies are lying perfectly still, they might actually be sleeping, and not just lying there.

• msarro
                                          Participant
                                          119 posts Send Private Message

I stand corrected, I finally caught Layla sleeping and I almost had a heart attack because I didn’t realize thats what it was. She wasn’t moving, and she was breathing slowly. Apparently she’s an extremely sound sleeper. I was petting her for a couple minutes before she finally woke up and shook herself off. I was worried she was sick or injured, but apparently she was just zonked out.

• kralspace
                                            Participant
                                            2663 posts Send Private Message

I’m guilty too, now. Yesterday I noticed Pringles upside down, legs in the air against litterbox and I freaked out and poked her gently before I could stop my self. I will pay for that all weekend, she refused to come out and visit last night, sitting up on the penthouse level glaring at me and refusing to touch food or treats while I was in the room……..bad bunny slave

• kimberleyanddarren
                                              Participant
                                              2520 posts Send Private Message

Hopscotch sleeps with his eyes open, ive caught him at it several times, mine are usually sleeping during the day especially if its warm, they dont really be up that much in the night either, i hear them occasionally at 3/4am but they dont keep me awake and they dont make excessive noise, are there lots of things to do in his cage? maybe you could take some toys out during the day and put them back at night so he understands he has them for bed time? Also what about gettnig in some good excercise before bed time? so maybe they will be tired when they go bakc in the cage?

• PeppersMama
                                                Participant

ever since i got him his pen, and let him roam in my room since i moved, he seems to be doing a lot better at night. i usually have to take out his cardboard box, because thats what makes all the noise, but after that is done all is well! and he does a lot of sleeping during the day hours and awake evening and morning. i think the exercise is wearing him down

• JamieM
                                                  Participant
                                                  321 posts Send Private Message

Layla never sleeps at night, but I think the problem might be that I’m in the room so she sees me and wants attention, even if it means finding some very inventive ways to wake the human up. As soon as the weather cools down a bit, I’ll be putting Layla’s condo back in the living room cause that room is easier to bunny proof and she hopefully won’t be able to wake me up in there!

• kimberleyanddarren
                                                    Participant
                                                    2520 posts Send Private Message

yeah thats what i find, the more they are out during the evening right before bed time the quiter they are.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Does he EVER SLEEP??