Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Does anyone have interlocking floor mats for their buns living space?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lemony
      Participant
      32 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone, I’m moving soon (renting) and currently my buns have their own bedroom. I don’t plan on that changing wherever I go but I would like to find a new solution to protecting the carpet.

In my current place I just have a really low pile carpet that I got from home depot that I threw in their bedroom, and while it did work for protecting the unit carpet, it was a really big pain to cut myself and get it in the apartment, and every once in a while they would find a stray edge and pull it so I wouldn’t consider it fully bun proof.

I’ve always been curious about interlocking tiles because I heard other bun owners use them, but I wonder how easily buns are able to rip the edges of them if they tried, especially if they’re foam which seems dangerous. Are there any firmer options that people have found to work really well for buns? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Babyfacecupcake
        Participant
        49 posts Send Private Message

I do use interlocking foam tiles for my buns and they do work well but I cover them with fleece liners. When they arent covered my buns try to destroy the foam and i wouldnt want them to ingest it. The completely leave them alone when i have the fleece covering it. But they don’t have a whole room to themselves. They free roam when im home to supervise and are in their pens if im not home.

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

Some buns will try to chew them, others leave them alone. Mine chew them.

I use a piece of plywood covered with peel and stick tiles as the base flooring for my buns condo.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• jerseygirl
            22338 posts Send Private Message

I’ve actually just bought 2 packs of the foam tiles to trial. I plan to cover the edges because I know they will be chewed otherwise. Im really hoping the rest would be left alone…  I have a mini rex and I’m wanting to give some softer flooring spaces along with some traction. He has chewed fabric a little but doesnt go to town on it. I do think I will have to cover the foam with some cotton sheets if he tries to chew the foam. They have their own room which I loose-lay vinyl flooring over the wood floors. They manage on that just fine but I think I will see some binkies and zooms with more traction. Unfortunately, it will probably mean it will take more time for cleaning…

You can get firmer foam or rubber tiles. I think they are typically made for gyms.  Another option would be some carpet tile although I think some fabric on the top would be wise if the carpet feels abrasive. Some of the commericial carpet tile are hard-wearing but the texture is abrasive.

• kanin
              Participant
              139 posts Send Private Message

jerseygirl – Have you tried the foam tiles out yet? What did/are you planning on covering the edges with? I’ve been putting off buying the rubber flooring because it’s so dang expensive.

• jerseygirl

I have! And I’m shocked they haven’t tried destroy them yet. (I hope I don’t jinx it). It was actually the girl, not the boy, who tried her teeth on it a couple times when I first put them in. It was more like her sussing it out rather then trying to rip & chew.

The mats had a smell so I put them outside to air for a day which helped. They’re not providing traction like I hoped but the buns appear to like to sit on them. I washed the surface last night because whenever i walked on them in shoes, I found I slipped around in regular flooring after. As if I had silicon spray on the soles.

For the edges, I used some pvc capping lengths like this.

Bunny Approved.

• jerseygirl

I think the mats I bought have siloxane or something in them. It doesn’t appear to be toxic or anything but I do wonder if it will make the buns slip around more in the other flooring. They don’t appear to be having any trouble.

I walked in the mats barefoot and definitely noticed it was more slippery when I was back on the vinyl.

Anyone noticed this with these mats before? Maybe I need to turn them over? I had put the textured side to thinking it would help… 🤔

ETA: they’re EVA foam mats. Ethylene Vinyl Acetate.

I’m reluctant to cover them with fabric because I think that will start them peeing & chewing on flooring.

• DanaNM
                    8901 posts Send Private Message

That’s weird they are so slippery!

I know sometimes with yoga mats they are slippery when you first get them, but if you wash them with just regular liquid soap (I do this in the shower) it removes the slick coating and makes them much more grippy. Maybe you could try giving them a wash?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• jerseygirl

Oh the shower is good idea! I think a better wash is what i should have done. I had only wiped them over in place. I then proceeded to spill entire bucket of water after I’d finished! 😣

It appears the honeymoon is over anyway. I’ve found some small spots chewed. So I will cover with cloth and see how that goes.   I think I will cut it to size, tape edges down then cover with the pvc edges. Then hope for the best!

@Lemony
                        I’m sorry to have taken over the thread! Have you moved forward with any flooring? Are you looking to cover the entire room?

• Lemony
                        Participant

Oh not a problem! and yes I have, I thought foam tiles were not the best for my rabbits since one of mine is a chewer and would probably at some point soon chew it up, so I went with some tougher rubber utility tiles. I laid a couple down for the buns to walk on first to make sure they have traction, gave them some blankets in there too. There was a little bit of a “new” rubber smell that is just starting to fade on them finally after airing them out for a week. They will officially move into their new room in a few days so I hope they like it 🙂 those pvc cappings look like a great idea for edges! I might have to steal that idea at some point

I will say this was not the most cost effective option for covering an entire bedroom haha

• jerseygirl

No, I bet it wasn’t!  Fingers crossed they like it.

Are they easy to clean?  I’m remembering a former forum leader who laid rubber flooring for her pair (one bun had a gimpy leg) and while it worked great for them, she did say it was a pain to clean. It was ridged so that could have been the main reason.

• Lemony
                            Participant

They haven’t had the chance to make a mess on it yet, so we’ll have to see. I actually chose them over those speckled ones that are used for gym floors because, we did a trial of both and the gym ones just attracted and held onto so much fur so quickly because of the sticky material.

I could see the bumps causing an issue when trying to get a handheld vacuum in there, but the material is pretty smooth otherwise. I guess I’ll have to see!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Does anyone have interlocking floor mats for their buns living space?