Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Does anyone have any experience with Zylkene?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunnybutt
      Participant
      23 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

My little guy is just a bundle of nerves and his vet did some research and suggested trying Zylkene but they weren’t sure if there’s were any side effects to watch for.

Has anyone ever tried it with their bunnies and if so what was your experience?

Thank you!

• Roxie
        Participant
        14 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I hope I’m not responding too late. Zylkene is market for dogs and cats, not rabbits. It contains an ingredient called alpha-casozepine which is derived from a milk protein called casein. Rabbits are lactose intolerant and can’t digest dairy products.

I’m not a vet but I highly suggest you don’t give that to your rabbit. If your vet had to do research and this is all they found then they’re either not a rabbit-savvy/exotic animal vet or, if they are, they’re not a very good one.

There are natural ways to calm rabbits, such as herbs like chamomile. Any medicine or supplement that is not marketed to rabbits is usually an indication that it wasn’t tested on rabbits and probably isn’t wise to use.

I suggest you look into the root of why your rabbit is so nervous. Is there something in their environment that is making them feel uneasy or threatened? Here are two sources that may help: https://bunnylady.com/5-steps-to-calm-a-rabbit/

Safe Herbs for Rabbits and Their Medicinal Properties

This website in general is packed full of rabbit info that only has a rabbit’s best interest in mind.

Good luck, hope this helps!

• LBJ10
          16908 posts Send Private Message

Zylkene does not contain lactose. I haven’t heard of it being used for rabbits, but I have heard of it being used for horses. I have no experience with Zylkene, so I can’t comment on its effectiveness. Some vets are more open to experimenting, so I imagine that is why your vet suggested it. My vet was very open with experimenting with alternative treatments and suggested at one point that we try 1mg of melatonin for anxiety-inducing times (e.g. fireworks, etc.). That seemed to calm the fur pulling/self-mutilation.

What behaviors does your bunny exhibit when he is stressed? Depending on how serious they are, you may be able to get away with an herbal supplement. I have found that this one has a mild calming effect and can be used regularly: https://store.binkybunny.com/collections/treats/products/serenity-snack

• Bunnybutt
              Participant
              23 posts Send Private Message

Hello! Thank you for replying!

My little guy develops GI stasis at the drop of a hat and the vet has concluded after many visits that its tied to directly to stressful events, and so we were trying to find something that would take the edge off. Especially since he has Big Snip is coming up. We had to cancel his last one because of GI stasis brought on by the guy below me slamming his door in the middle of the night. I haven’t tried chamomile specifically but I had tried SMS zen blend but he wouldn’t eat it. Maybe I should try just straight chamomile?

I just need something thats really effective

• LBJ10
                16908 posts Send Private Message

Camomile flowers are very palatable. Most rabbits seem to like them. You could also make “tea” by brewing camomile in hot water and letting it cool. Don’t use tea for humans since it can contain other ingredients.

You could ask your vet about melatonin. I was able to find 1mg tablets at a health food store, but then I had to make it into a paste. So it definitely isn’t as convenient as an herbal supplement.

• Roxie
                Participant
                14 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry to hear that! Poor little guy 😞

Whatever you end up trying just make sure it’s introduced in small amounts and safe for rabbit consumption (fact check with at least 2 or 3 valid sources). Some websites will say one thing is safe for rabbits while another say it’s not. Generally if somebody says it isn’t then it’s like that for a reason. I only suggested herbs because rabbits are so sensitive that I personally would feel more comfortable with a natural way to treat my rabbit. I wouldn’t want my rabbit to be part of any experimental medicine but that’s just me.

Does he have a hidey house or a few scattered around his area or wherever he plays. This way if he gets scared he’ll have some place to hide no matter where he is.

How old is your rabbit or how long have you had him? I adopted one of mine when he was about 7 months old and he was skittish over the littlest sounds. Probably from being young and somewhat new to the world. I conditioned him to know he’s safe by saying “it’s ok, (name)” over and over in a soft sing-songy kind of voice while petting him or giving him a treat, or something that I knew he liked. Eventually when he would get scared all I had to say was “it’s ok” and he’d be fine. He got used to loud noises and just my presence was enough for him to relax. What really helped though was bonding him with another rabbit. Having a companion, especially my fearless little girl, can keep each other feeling safe.

Getting him fixed may help as well so that’s great you’re getting that done!

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Does anyone have any experience with Zylkene?