Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING do bunnies need a partner?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • doodlebut88
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

This may be the age-old question but, as someone new to the world of bunnies, is it beneficial to have a partner for your bun or do they do just as well in solitude, with just a human companion?

If my boy bunny would really benefit from having a companion, maybe it’s something I should look into…

Thanks!

• mrmac
        Participant
        2156 posts Send Private Message

It really depends, If you spend alot of time with your bunny, your bunny will see you as its companion. Personally I think it is better for them to have a bunny friend, I think it fulfills the non bunniness of you, but then some bunnies are great by themselves and dont do well with a friend.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits are very social and I think nothing can compare to two bunny companions. It is true that you can provide interaction and stimulation, but you will not always be home and available to hang out with your bunny. Some days, weeks, or months are going to be busier than others. If you work outside your home or attend school, that is a lot of time that your bun is going to be by himself, not to mention your other family and friend obligations.

I had a single rabbit a couple years (before he passed) and he seemed happy and content to me. And then I got Meadow and she was a single bunny for almost a year before we adopted Max. Having a pair now, I would never go back to only having one. It’s amazing to watch them “talk” to each other, they give kisses, they snuggle. They really are best friends. They don’t spend every waking (or sleeping) moment together, they will go do their own thing, but they always come back to each other to “check in”. They are less destructive: some of this is due to them getting older, some of it is due to them keeping each other company (a bored, lonely bunny is *usually* more destructive).

There are factors to consider:

Do you have space for two separate rabbits until they bond, or permanently in case they never bond? Can you devote time to the bonding sessions? They may bond in a week, or it may take several months. Until they bond and possibly after, it is likely that one or both rabbits may lose their good litterbox habits and leave territorial poops around the house. Both rabbits need to spay/neutered. Adopting from a rescue is your best bet for getting a bun that has already been altered and they will sometimes allow you to take your bun “bunny dating” so he can pick his own mate.

Money is an important factor. Two rabbit cages and double supplies until they bond. Double veggies, hay, pellets, litter. These are not that big of a deal if you are already buying food for one rabbit. The major concern is DOUBLE VET CARE. Vets do not give a “buy one, get one” discount on their services.

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

One of my favorite rescues (The Bunny Bunch) almost never adopts out single bunnies, unless they are going to be a companion to another bunny, just because they believe very strongly that since bunnies are social animals, they are happier with a friend. I do think that there are some exceptions to that rule, but in general that bunnies really like having a friend of their own kind around.

• bunnymama
              Participant
              161 posts Send Private Message

Doodlebutt88 – well I have a single female and after trying to bond her with a female and then several males — some bunnies are meant to be alone and Baby is one of them. I agree with what Beka says having a bonded pair is one of the most loving and pure experiences I’ve ever witnessed. I often think of what a nicer place the world would be if people treated each other as loving as Gracie and Dino do.

Some shelters will allow you to do bunny speed dating and you could see how your bun reacts to other bunnies and you would know pretty quickly on if he is compatible with other buns. Post where you live and you should get some pretty good places recommended to you. I’m outside of Chicago and we have a great place on the north side of Chicago that does this for you –they are great there. Just post for bonding places. Good luck…..

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING do bunnies need a partner?