Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Displeasure

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • ScampiBunny
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

Is it possible for a rabbit to do certain things if they are unhappy, just to get back at you?  I know this may some odd, but my rabbit has a crazy pattern ( he sleeps all day and is wide awake late evenings to early mornings).  So as soon as I wake up I open the cage door and it’s open all day If I’m home,  until I go to sleep.  I’ve been kind of waiting around until he decides to go in his cage so I won’t have to force him and then I’ll say "it’s time for bed", give him a little pet and close the door, usually around midnight or so.  He would then stand up holding on to the cage and watch me walk away (sometimes I go back, who could resist that?!).  

He would have plenty of hay in his cage, food, water, toys-but he would usually make some noises and then settle down after a while.  In the morning when I wake up, the litterbox woul be moved completely to the other side of the cage and hay is everywhere along with pee and poop.  I was shocked at first, but now I think it’s because he is upset when I put him to bed.  Is this possible? Will his pattern change over time if I keep up with this schedule?

After I clean it during the day he is fine, doesn’t make any mess. Only when I put him in there at night.  I’ve also attached some pictures of him outside his cage in ‘his corner’ .  I thought it was so cute that he dragged his doggy out. He also loves to sleep on that tray during the day.

Oh I would also like to share a story.  I live with my bf and he was so reluctant about keeping Scamp, but today I overslept a little and when I woke up he open the cage door and gave Scamp some food and greens.  He has also been extra affectionate towards him the last few days.  I just wanted to share that because I thought it was so nice of him.

181320519671.JPG
        1813205120654.JPG
        1813205128458.JPG

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes I think that my two do that too.  They get huffy if I don’t clean the litterbox every other day as they will start throwing dirty litter and poo all over from the litter box. Little rascals…As for the active part, rabbits are diurnal meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk.  I would say definately keep up with the normal routine and try to make some action that you do to tell him that is bed time, for example, I cover my two with a light sheet to let them know it is sleeping time and so should they.  My night time routine is I coax my two in with the clink of a cookie jar (they hop right in or go right in when they see me because of anticipation) and they each receive a bunny cookie for a treat. I’ve also trained my two to go into their cage by saying "in" and reinforcing it with a treat to where now they simply go inside when I say "in" I cover them, shut off the light and they are pretty quiet at night.

Awe too cute that was great your bf took care of Scamp for you! 

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

aww I’m glad to hear that your BF is warming up to Scamp!

Bunnies are most active at night and early morning, so it’s not surprising that Scamp sleeps during the day. My buns nap most of the day too. They also have very distinctive personalities and traits, but yes they can and will do things when they’re mad. One of my bunnies likes to pee out of the box to remind me that she’d like her box changed NOW, please! I find they do have patterns and will be really into something (like hopping on the couch, playing with a toy, making a mess) for a while and then they often just get over it and move onto something else!

• sevyn
            Participant
            68 posts Send Private Message

Haha, I feel you on the boyfriends warming up to bunnies thing. Similarly, my bf was a bit apathetic when I first got my bun, but now he’s in love too – so much that he’s taking on one of his own as well as soon as we find a good match!

As everyone else has mentioned, yes, bunnies are most active at dawn and dusk. My bun has changed her schedule to suit mine, but she was never a picky one anyways. (I wake up somewhere around 7 or 8 and, when I come out to see her, she is usually very visibly just waking up. But she springs right to life then and, except for a few naps during the day, usually keeps up journeying in and out of her cage intermittently until I put her in for bedtime).

My bun used to show her distaste for being caged when she didn’t want to be by thumping or dragging things amuck (though usually just her toys and whatnot – no poo and pee for me!). However, this did dissipate as she adjusted to my clock and as long as I made sure everything was in relative good order – clean litter, lots of hay, and a treat before i leave, of course!

As for a bunny who’s a bit more finicky, I’m not exactly sure. It might not just be his anger at your conflict in schedules, but it could be anything, from something big to something small (an annoyance at his location, something being out of order, etc.). All I can recommend is that you make sure he has plenty to do while you’re in bed and, as Scarlet_Rose suggested, make sure he knows it is bedtime (cover the cage with a blanket, turn off the lights, make a bedtime ritual of sorts) and he should hopefully warm up to your schedule and get the hint.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
              Participant
              2517 posts Send Private Message

My bunny is exactly the same way… he gets so much freedom that sometimes he is reluctant to be back in his cage… he will do the paws on the door pathetic look and then proceed to rearrange his cage when I ignore the look.

Also had the same experience with my boyfriend… he acted like he didn’t like the bun so much at first, but now i catch him picking up the bun just to kiss it on the head!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Displeasure