Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE dinner time!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • wabbitlove
      Participant
      54 posts Send Private Message

We feed the buns greens and a couple baby carrots at night for their dinner – my question is if you guys feed your bunnies at the same time every day/night? Is it better to keep them on a schedule? And if so, when is a good dinner time (breakfast/lunch is at 8 am or so, and is pellets). And they get plenty of hay and water all day…

Thanks!

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits are definately the schedule type, they like things to be a routine, otherwise they can get a little stressed from it. I would say anytime that is the best time every day for you to have time to feed (or to fit into your routine) is the best time. My two get breakfast (pellets and papaya tablet) at 5:00 am along with an hour of run time, let out when I get home at 4 pm then dinner at 6 pm (veggies), and a cookie at bed time.

• LittlePuffyTail
          18092 posts Send Private Message

My buns get fed at the same time. 9:00 a.m. and 7 p.m. I refill their hay several times throughout the day.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

My bunny and piggies get fed at about 7.00am …. a bunch of hay each and some pellets … maybe a treat for the piggies and they have their greens at 10.00pm.  Both the bunny and piggies get greens every second night.

Dawn xx

• Lisa_43
              Participant
              1499 posts Send Private Message

My bunny gets a mix in the morning at 7am then at nite at 6pm.

She gets vegies (from the safe list on Blinky Bunny) and straw throughout the day, and a treat twice a week.

Can we see some pics of those piggies?

• Bunnies4ever
                Participant
                368 posts Send Private Message

My buns get fed the same time every mornng and every night. Since I have a long commute and leave the house early, they get their pellets around 6AM. They have unlimited hay all day. Then at night, they get their veggies , I clean their litterboxes and they get more hay. They only get a treat about once every two weeks. Rabbits love a routine. They know when to expect their food when they see me in the AM and at night. Sometimes in the evening, if I’m late getting home, they’ll look at me like “What happened? Did you forget us?” After dinner, they get a romp in my office while I work on my computer, then it’s time for bed. They know when it’s time and they hop in their cages and settle down for the night. My buns don’t have full range of my home. I’m too nervous they will get into trouble and I can’t watch them every minute. My office is big enough, bunny proofed and they have enough toys and each other to play with.

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

most bunnies do well on a schedule and like the consistency.

I feed them pellets and hay around 8 am, so they have unlimited hay to nibble all day. But on weekends we sleep later, so it’s whenever we get up.
                    my bunnies know when it’s 9 pm, since that’s bunny dinner time. they get all excited and dance around, it’s really cute.
                    They get a big handful of hay before bed time too.

please keep in mind the carrots are a treat food and should be offered sparingly.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

I personally don’t follow schedules with animals because I find that mine get stressed if you deviate from a schedule. I free fed everything so I just check hay/water/pellets/veggies in the am, evening and night and fill accordingly.

• wendyzski
                      Participant
                      1312 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits definitely like routine!  I remember reading about a woman who was trying to train her rabbit to come to the sound of a bell, so she rang it every time she fed them.  One night she was on a long-distance phone call and was running late.  She was rather startled to hear the bell ring!  Apparently bunny associated the sound with food all right – and somehow climbed up on his cage to get at the bell!

Pepper gets 1/8 cup pellets when I get up (7 on weekdays, later on weekends), a salad around dinner time (usually when I get home from work at 6) and the other 1/8 cup pellets around 9.

• Sarita
                        Participant
                        18851 posts Send Private Message

I think my rabbits like a routine too. I like a routine as well – it’s better for the buns and for me.

I also clean morning and evening because I have a multitude of buns.

My buns get their veggie salad in the morning and their pellets at night – I would love to totally eliminate pellets but with 11 rabbits it’s not cost effective for me. I do have Mango who gets absolutely no pellets though. They always have hay. They also get their cranberry treat in the morning.

I’ve always been curious about when everyone feeds their buns their salads (morning or evening) so this is fun to read – I see some do it morning and some at night :~)

• osprey
                          Participant
                          2065 posts Send Private Message

Our guys get let out of the pen when we wake up (6:45 or so) and get fed a salad soon after that.  Right before school/work (7:45ish), they go back home in their pen and get their pellets.  I put in fresh hay and water then too.  They get let out of the pen again around 6:30 PM or so, visit the girls in bed for a treat at around 8, then get another salad at around 8:30.  They only get 1/4 cup of pellets for the 3 of them, so they get veggies twice a day.  Around 11 PM they go back home, with fresh hay and water for the night.

• babybunsmum
                            Participant
                            3896 posts Send Private Message

i serve her pellets and 1 cup of greens in the morning as soon as i get up which is when i feed the mutt too.  this varies +/- 30 mins weekday & +/- an hour or so weekends.  and then the other cup of greens late afternoon / suppertime.  any snacks are during evening tv time when we ALL get a snack .  its enough routine that she knows when i get up she gets fed (she starts jumping around when she hears me up) but not so much that i worry she’ll freak if i’m a bit early or late.

• Bunnies4ever
                              Participant

I think I feed them their veggies in the evening because I consider it “dinner”. Before I cook my dinner, I feed them theirs first! One time I was fostering three rabbits and everybody was in the same routine! I really don’t think it matters when you feed them veggies.

• wabbitlove
                                Participant
                                54 posts Send Private Message

This is kind of fun to read everyone’s feeding routines! And helpful to know that routines are welcomed by the bun buns. I’ll start feeding them dinner at the same time (or close!) every night, now.
                                  I didn’t know that carrots were a treat – but will be more careful about that now. Good to know.
                                  Also- what greens does everyone feed their buns? I’ve found that romaine lettuce and parsley go over very well. Other things get a lukewarm reception compared to these two things..

• DustBunneh'sMama
                                  Participant
                                  77 posts Send Private Message

This is a really interesting thread! I’m new to this board, and new to being a bunneh mama so I’m learning a lot.

I have a 2 month old light gray Flemish Giant and I’ve only had him for 5 days now. I free-feed him hay and pellets, and fill as needed. I usually give him fresh stuff at the end of our visiting times twice a day, and this makes him go back into his cage after play time. The breeder told me not to give him any “treat” foods until he is 4 months old, and then only one type at a time to see if it causes any upset. I’m looking forward to the time when I can make fabulous “salads” for him with all of his healthy fresh stuff. Maybe I’ll start eating a little healthier too, since I will have all the good stuff in the fridge!

I am also curious to see what other greens people are feeding. I heard that parsley is one of their favorite things.

• Bunnies4ever
                                    Participant

My bunnies LOVE parsley and cilantro. They are also fond of dandalion leaves and the green tops off fresh carrots. They also love lettuce (green leaf and romaine). Kahlua loves kale (which must be fed sparingly), but Chloe HATES it. It depends on your bunny’s likes and dislikes. You have to experiment with different greens and whatever’s available at your local supermarket. If you’re lucky to have a farmer’s market in your area, that’s great! Oh, I forgot, they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE basil! When Chloe came home from her spay, I was getting nervous because she wasn’t eating too much. I ran to the supermarket and brought some basil and put it under her nose. That did the trick!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant
                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

The organic spring mix is a good one to buy…Everything in it is good for rabbits! And…good for people

• Scarlet_Rose
                                        Participant
                                        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, my two get quite a variety, spring mix, spinach (sparingly), kale, parsely, watercress*, arugula*, collard greens & dandelion greens. Take a peek at Binky Bunny’s Veggie/Fruit list.

*Favorites

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE dinner time!