Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR digging

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • katieh
      Participant
      20 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everyone,

I haven’t been around for awhile. I’ve been busy with the boys. Pepper is doing fantastic.  I’ve seen her do binkies! It was very exciting. My older son really wants to see them too, but usually she does them when the boys are at school. (No surprise there!) She loves her papaya tablet. I’ve been using them as a treat when she goes back to her cage. Do you think 2 or 3 a day is okay? Or is that too much?

My big question is about her digging. She has now put two holes in the rug in her room. It’s not the end of the world as we got it when my oldest was less than one. It’s seen better days already. She digs in her cage too, which is fine. She moves the bedding around all the time. My question is– Why is she ripping/digging up the carpet? What are some ideas I can do to stop her? I don’t want to be too tough as she is finally coming out of her shell. Any ideas are appreciated.

• MarkBun
        Participant
        2842 posts Send Private Message

Some buns are diggers. There should be some info here as to how to create a digging box for the bun to enjoy. It usually involves a low walled clothes basket with lots of shredded newspaper, some hay and a couple of treats hiding somewhere in the middle of it

• BUNNYMAN
          Participant
          22 posts Send Private Message

You could try a dig box.

At least she is not going to far like mine are

1411463890571.jpg

• rabbitsmba
            Participant
            475 posts Send Private Message

Whenever my bunns find that “Special Corner” in the room where the carpet pulls up just a bit, they go to town on ripping it up! What I do is I have 12″x12″ ceramic tiles and I will place one over the area they are digging. Bunns can’t move the tile and eventually they forget about it. And the tiles are nice in the summer for the bunns to stretch out on because they are nice and cool.

• katieh
              Participant
              20 posts Send Private Message

All good ideas! I bet the kids would have fun creating a dig box. One of the spots she was digging was behind one bed. I moved the bed closer to the wall and she can’t get there now. So she dug two holes in the rug next to the bed! I guess that will teach me to move furniture!

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

some buns are diggers.  they can play all kinds of different ways and that’s one of them.  here is the link to the page that has the diggy box, scroll down and there are pics of the beautiful Kokanee and Kalhua in their box.

https://binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/ToyTest/ArchivedToyTests/tabid/126/Default.aspx

also, if your bun JUST digs and does not actually EAT the carpet fibers, you can get cheap carpet square samples from a carpet store (or i’ve even recently seen them at Wal-Mart for 2 bucks each).  that allows her to dig at the carpet, without ruining yours.

• babybunsmum
                  Participant
                  3896 posts Send Private Message

another option… especially good if your bun randomly digs at carpet in all places like mine… is to have pieces of fleece blankets to put in their way & distract them from the carpet.  they can dig at the fleece instead.  my buns tend to bite at it which just causes holes & no fraying to worry about and it’s great because it bunches up & spreads out which they seem to like.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR digging