Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Digging litter

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • auntie
      Participant
      90 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit decided he would use his litter box as a digging box. He digs out his litter

what can I use that is safe to make his own digging box that is not in his cage. My only concern is that I’m afraid he might think the digging box out of his cage is a litter box.

any ideas/suggestions

my other bunny climbed into my lap and bit me, also when I was cleaning out his cage he bit me again. Then he looks at me and tips his food bowl with food in it over he did this twice

any suggestions for this bunny?

• Bam
        16871 posts Send Private Message

You can use kids’ sandbox sand to make a dig box. Its sold in small sacks and its been treated with heat so kids dont get bad bacteria etc on their skin. Just keep a close eye until you know your bun will not eat the sand. Some horses and rabbits will eat sand, and its very bad for them. If your bun is the type of bun that will eat the sand, you can use the sand yourself by mixing it up with potting soil. If youre in the Northern hemisphere, this time of year is perfect for starting a little “bunny garden” in your window. You can grow yummy herbs like basil, parsley, herb fennel and cilantro 😃

Your other bunny was probably upset that you were messing with his box. The most important thing to do in such a circumstance is to NOT back off. If you back off, the bun will “think” Yay, success! So next time you come to do sth in his area, hell try lunging and biting again, because it worked the last time.

One option is to change his litter when he’s out having play time. Another is to wear gloves while you clean out the box, if your bun is the type that bites you really hard.

The bun is of course acting out of instinct, not out of dislike of you. I have one bun who was like this when I first got him. Knowing that animals (and humans tbh) learn by trial-and-success, I chose to just get on with whatever I was doing. Thereby I was showing my bun 2 things:

1. Aggression/violence wont work.

2. The cleaning of the box doesn’t result in catastrophy and mayhem. It actually makes the box nicer to use.

As for jumping into your lap and biting you: Rabbits often try to communicate with their mouths. They cant speak, and they cant communicate via facial expression. They cant read our ear position and we dont even have tails. We dont have fur, so a nip will cause us a lot more pain than it would another rabbit.

A nip is not a bite, although a nip can still be painful. It often means “you’re in my way, move!” or “who said you could stop petting me?!” You can let out a squeal to let the bun know that you dont appreciate being nipped.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

I recommend using a litter box screen to help with the digging. It will help with the biting to wait to do cleaning while he isn’t in his cage. Most rabbits can be protective of their home space.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
            16898 posts Send Private Message

Litter box screen = miracle

• auntie
              Participant
              90 posts Send Private Message

Will that affect him being litter box trained? Where do I get a screen?

As far as my other boy he was actually out of his cage when I was cleaning it. He climbed on my back legs and bit my lower back. That was the 2nd time. Prior to that I think he wanted more treats.

Thank you all for your advice 😊

• LBJ10
                16898 posts Send Private Message

I have not had any issues with using a litter screen. He uses the litter box with or without one. The screen just keeps the litter IN the box. You can buy one at the BB store. Or you can make one yourself. Some people like to use the plastic canvas for crafts.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Digging litter