Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Digging Bunny

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • CoryK
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Zoey is almost a year old, unnueterd, female.  She will not stop digging in her litter box and flinging crap all over the place. She knows it bothers me to no end! She absolutely loves the shop vac and i think she does it just so i have to use it! She is not neglected by any means but i don’t know how to get her to stop digging in her litter. is there something else she might like to scratch on? help!!!

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! Its quite normal for bunnies to dig, as well as fling things around, my bunnies like to bury their head in the hay and then lift their head up and have a hay HAT A great way to stop this is to give your bunny a covered cat igloo instead of an open litter box. My favorite is a booda dome that has stairs on it, then its really tough for them to flig the hay out. I’ve seen these at almost all of the regular pet stores. This way, she can dig but the flinging will not be able to fling anything OUT.

Also, does your litter box have carefresh litter on the bottom and then covered with hay? Thats one of the best combos for a litterbox.  There are some pics of litterboxes and housing on this website that show that.

Also, I’m sure other people will mention, but getting the bunny spayed will help calm her down a tad as well 

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Corrine!! I am sorry I missed this post!

My Bailey loves to dig in her litterbox.  In one of them, I put a screen over it.  There are also litterboxes with tops and edges.   But I didn’t want to take the joy of digging away from her so I gave her a litterbox with really tall edges.   And here’s a link to another discussion on the forum that includes ideas for diggy boxes.

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=3&tpage=1&view=topic&postid=6183#6183

I’ve attached a picture of the litterbox with an edge as well as the screen.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

I think your Bailey is just adorable … sweet thing!

• Timmy
              Participant
              9 posts Send Private Message

My bunny, Timmy, is quite the digger! He’s fixed but his digging habbits haven’t altered at all. These are some great tips and I especially like the screen that BinkyBunny has posted to keep his cage and his paws clean. I’ve made him a diggy box before and he loves it but his litter box is still remains one of his digging box. I was wondering if you made that screen yourself or purchased it somewhere? I would love to have one for Timmy!

• poopy
                Participant
                684 posts Send Private Message

Refer to #2 in my sig. below

• Timmy
                  Participant

Yup I’ve considered the covered litter box as well as many of the alternatives listed in the many threads I’ve searched through. As soon as Timmy jumps into the litterbox, he starts digging so my logic is that he might just hop into the covered litterbox and dig everything out of the hole he just hopped in from? And he’ll still get his paws plenty dirty! I believe the best one for him would be the screen so I asked if BinkyBunny or anyone knows how to make/get one and let him continue digging in the box I’ve made for him to dig in. Thanks though!

• poopy
                    Participant

Try a covered one with a DOOR. I’ve seen ones with top doors as well, of course you’d have to manually show your rabbit how to get into it, and eventually he will learn to hop onto the top and fall down. Just try one first they are like $20

• jam224
                      Participant
                      6 posts Send Private Message

If you don’t want to try a hooded litterbox, I’ve heard of several suggestions that have worked for some people:
                        1) Use a "sifting" litterbox.  Line the solid portion with the litter of your choice and then place the grated portion on top of the litter.
                        2) Buy "hardware cloth" and cut it to the size of the litterbox to place on top of the litter (this may be what’s pictured, I’m not sure).
                        3) Buy an egg crate fluorescent light panel/cover and cut it to the size of the litterbox.  Egg crates can be made out of plastic or metal, but everyone that I know that uses them, gets the white plastic kind.  You can buy a sheet at any home improvement store (Lowe’s, Home Depot) in their lighting department.  (If you can’t find it, don’t be afraid to ask someone.)  They also use several PVC pipes (about 2" tall) to prop up the litterbox grate, so that it’s not resting solely on the litter.
                        4) I’ve also known someone to buy plastic canvas sheets (meant for cross stitching) at her local dollar store to use as litterbox grates (you could also probably find them at craft stores).  She cuts them to size and can replace them cheaply when they get really dirty.

Particularly if you’re curious about the egg crate option, I can clarify instructions better, if you’d like.  These were just brief descriptions.

• Timmy
                        Participant

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into them and keep you updated on what works!

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

Also, for a more creative twist, use a wire cooling rack that you would find in the baking item section of your store.  They do very nicely.

• kellyrorgan
                            Participant
                            21 posts Send Private Message

That screen is a genious idea. Sometimes I feel that we’re wasting a ton of litter because we have to clean it out so often with all the poops. Where did you find it?

• poopy
                              Participant

• BinkyBunny
                                8776 posts Send Private Message
                                  Posted By kellyrorgan on 07/10/2007 9:51 PM

That screen is a genious idea. Sometimes I feel that we’re wasting a ton of litter because we have to clean it out so often with all the poops. Where did you find it?

Thanks!  We actually made that screen.  We have made some improvements since his picture. We changed the material on the edges to make it  impossible to chew. We are actually going to sell them, but we are just going through a final safety check.   It’ll be a couple more months until then, but some of the other suggestions should be able to see you through!

• wordmonkey
                                  Participant
                                  40 posts Send Private Message

This thing is amazing…..remove all the extra stuff it comes with and use it covered or uncovered. The sides are about 9 " tall without the top on, its not big enough for big bun full spralled out lounging but 2 buns can fit perfectly.

Heres the link- http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/February07/50669_64ea5.jpg

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Digging Bunny