Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING “Digging” at other bunny

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • sarahthegemini
      Participant
      5584 posts Send Private Message

Peanut has ‘dug’ at Buttercup’s head before if she is in the way when sharing their favourite chew toy but today he has dug at her back end and I’m wondering why? First time he dug at her back, she hopped forwards. He did it again and she hopped forward again and then he sniffed her butt and flopped by her. Just now he started sniffing her back area intently and doing the nibbly grooming and then dug at her back again twice. I stopped him because he was sort of leaning over her head doing it and I didn’t want his private parts being in jeopardy. As it happens, Buttercup just let it happen. 

Can anyone explain this to me? Is this normal? Do they still need to be watched 24/7? Whenever he digs at her head to get her to move, she just sort of sits still and then moves away. She did the same thing this time too – just waited a second or two then moved away and I petted her. 

They’re both stretched out on the floor now, a coupleinches from eachother. It might be worth noting that prior to him digging at her, he shoved his head right under her (for grooming I assume) but she didn’t oblige. 

• Mikey
        Participant
        3186 posts Send Private Message

Im not sure if its like this for your buns, but you mentioned flopping so it might be. But, my bunnies seem to dig when they are not comfortable. They will dig in their spot then flop where they dug, or theyll move to a new spot and try again. Maybe hes trying to tell her shes not comfortable enough for him to flop on?

• Wascally Wabbits
          Participant
          104 posts Send Private Message

Not sure if this means anything. But Chicho (beta bun) used to dig at Lilo (top bun) every once in a while. If he spent 30 min grooming Lilo then Lilo wouldn’t groom back, he’d dig at Lilo, who’d then get off his fat arse and groom Chicho back. I think they do this to wake the other one up or to make them move. In a way it’s less aggressive than a nip because they don’t get scratched up by just some digging/boxing. They also dig at each other if the other is in their favorite spot.

• sarahthegemini
            Participant

It doesn’t sound like it’s anything to worry about then?

• Mikey
              Participant

Just noting that digging and boxing are two very different things

I think the digging should be fine as long as no fights come of it. If you notice either of them tries to escalate, definitely look into redirection techniques

• Mikey
                Participant

I think the digging should be fine as long as no fights come of it. If you notice either of them tries to escalate, definitely look into redirection techniques

• Mikey
                  Participant

• sarahthegemini
                    Participant

Thanks
                      My partner said Peanut dug at Buttercup’s back again this morning and so she moved a little, then he sniffed her and flopped. So it does sound like he’s doing it to get her to move. They usually touch each other’s feet to get them to move :p

• sarahthegemini
                      Participant

Bumping this thread again in hopes someone can offer me some tips. He is still being very dig-happy. He doesn’t do it a lot, but I’d rather he didn’t do it at all. He definitely does it to get Buttercup to move, once she is out of the/his way, he’ll lay down, snuggle or flop by her or something. If he doesn’t end up laying close to her, she’ll go snuggling up to him once he’s got comfy lol.

She’s really good about it, most of the time she just moves out the way or she’ll hop out of the way and then demand grooming which he does usually oblige. Sometimes though the little rascal (Peanut) will almost go out of his way to get her to move so he’ll dig at her once, she’ll move then he’ll follow her and repeat maybe 2 or 3 times. Then he’ll do the usual and lay next to her/flop/snuggle.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING “Digging” at other bunny