Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Digging at clothing?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • JK
      Participant
      2223 posts Send Private Message

Edson has developed a new behavior!  Once in awhile when I crouch down next to him he will dig at my clothes and gently lift the fabric up.  Never bites or nibbles.  What does this mean?  He just started doing this a couple days ago.

• MarkBun
        Participant
        2842 posts Send Private Message

It could mean a couple of things. With Maryann, it means don’t stop petting me. With Dono, it means put me down.

• bunnytowne
          Participant
          7537 posts Send Private Message

cotton does this when I take him outside somewhere with me and put him down on a counter or table he leaps back into my arms and digs at me showing his displeasure that i put him down.     he has digs and nibbles on my clothes and now when he does that he goes to lie down on top his cage by me and I pet him. Iusually after his jumping back and forth repeating the digging etc,.  think he does this cuz he is showing his affection too. he used to bite me hard but he learned not to. these days when the occasional accident of biting too hard happens I go Ouch real loud surprised and he gets scared and worried he hurt me. awe they are so cute aren’t they. 

seems like your baby is showing affection and asking for something.

• MimzMum
            Participant
            8029 posts Send Private Message

lolz…with Mimzy it means “Sorry, this is going to hurt you more than it does me.”

• Cadbury
              Participant
              161 posts Send Private Message

Cadbury digs at my clothes when she is being especially bossy.

• RabbitPam
                11002 posts Send Private Message

To me it always kind of felt like “I’m here…I’m playing with you…PAY ATTENTION!”

I actually think it’s a good sign, with Edson interacting with you more directly. (And bunnies always seem to peek under anything they can. See Beka’s video of Meadow getting under the fabric on the arm of the couch.)

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
                  Participant
                  319 posts Send Private Message

For me, it means “I AM ANGRY!”

Pumpkin always does it to me after clipping nails. I think she’s telling me that she didn’t like it a bit.

• Tami
                    Participant
                    163 posts Send Private Message

For us, when we are grooming Frosty our English Angora, he digs hubby constantly while I’m trying to brush/comb him out and then immediately after he bites.  I don’t think he means to bite, but hubbys shirts aren’t very “loose”, so there’s always skin when he grabs it

So I would have to say that Frosty’s digging is definitely a sign of disapproval ! 

• babybunsmum
                      Participant
                      3896 posts Send Private Message

pinky digs at my clothing whan i have been petting her and have stopped.  it means “RESUME PETTING IMMEDIATELY” and she means it.  she’ll nip if i don’t comply

baby digs furiously at my clothing if i put her on  lap and will dig furiously at whatever surface i ‘put’ her on which i interpret as “i’m VERY annoyed.  how DARE you just PUT me here like that!”  she also digs for sport randomly but never at my clothes in this instance.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

I think sometimes it’s just exploring your clothes, maybe they think our fur is weird.

Definitely Kokanee does it to show displeasure, like if I’m trying to cuddle her too long, she’ll start digging. But they also come up to me on the floor and dig and poke around on my clothing. I think it’s also a positive interaction as well. It depends on the situation. For you, I think it’s interacting with you.

• Sage Cat
                          Participant
                          1883 posts Send Private Message

My 2 little critters have become much more playful when I’m laying on the floor reading. The first thing they do is “explore” my legs – sniff, dig at my pants, and then start jumping over my legs.
                            So, for Kay & Winston digging at clothes is definitely play!

You have to take it is context. If Edson does this when you are crouching down next to him – it seems like he is saying Oh good your here to play with me.
                            What does Edson do next? Maybe knowing that could really help us help you.

• LittlePuffyTail
                            18092 posts Send Private Message

Mine do this too. Stormy will do this to me if I’m “in his way”. He’s such a brat! He also likes to bunch up and dig clothing that’s on the floor (which is why I have so many shirts with little nibble holes.

Bindi does this digging on the couch but not on me. I think he just likes to dig. He does this with his cardboard house in his box too.

• MimzMum
                              Participant
                              8029 posts Send Private Message

I get the nose nudge from both bunnies if I’m blocking the road, so when I feel a bump on the booty I know I have to move it.
                                K&K, I think that’s definitely it for my buns. Annoyance. Pip digs in her sleepy box when there isn’t enough hay to eat in her pen (or does the litterbox shot putt) and Mimzy will dig on my shirt/stomach when he’s had enough time in my lap, which is almost immediately after I put him there. If I don’t put him down/back in his pen, I get the teeth. >_<

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Digging at clothing?