Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Difficult end

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunny mummy
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

This is Elm. She came to me nearly 3 years ago with her sister from a friend who couldn’t keep them. We sadly found Oak (her sister) dead one morning after about 6 months.

Because Elm was on her own I tried to spend as much time with her as possible, seeing her 2 or 3 times a day and sitting with her for a while every evening, when she enjoyed having her whole face and head stroked. I didn’t have her spayed, even though the vet kept recommending it, because I was afraid she would die.

Recently she developed lumps on her chin and seemed quieter than usual. I took her to the vet who decided to operate and spay her at the same time. Sadly it turned out that she already had a large uterine tumour. The chin lumps were just cysts.

The vet removed her uterus but couldn’t quite get all of the tumour as it was near her bladder. I took her home that evening but really struggled to give her medication as she hates being picked up and having her mouth touched. She wasn’t getting enough and I returned to the vet every day with her. Two of the days she stayed in so she could have morning and evening meds. I think she had developed GI stasis

After bringing her home from day hospital on the Wednesday, she actually seemed worse, so I decided to try really hard to give her meds at home.

She wasn’t eating much but I kept tempting her with bramble shoots, carrot tops – anything I could think of really! I had critical care food to syringe into her mouth and started on that. She seemed like she was going downhill on the Thursday but I carried on doing the best I could. On the Friday evening I had her sat on my lap, gave her medicines, gave her some feed but it was coming back out of her mouth. I stopped and wiped it away and she jumped off my lap, ran a couple of feet and crouched with her head pointing up and breathing heavily. I didn’t know what was wrong and thought she was stressed. Within a minute she ran into her box and thumped, ran out again, collapsed on the floor and died.

I feel terrible, as though I killed her. I was trying so hard to help her get better so that she could at least have some time in the summer sunshine. I worry I may have choked her with her feed, and feel so bad that she left me after I possibly harmed her and she suffered great distress. Very upset about this and missing her terribly 😭😭😭

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

Oh, I am so, so, so sorry!!

Take a deep, belly breath. Put your hand on your stomach, and feel it go out as you breathe in, and in as you breathe out. Think of your happy place while you do this. 🙂

You evidently cared very deeply about Elm; you gave her a loving home, a loving life, and most of all, you, a loving friend. I’m sure she would tell you the same. 🙂 They are our forever friends, no barrier, no matter how strong, can ever separate that.

It’s always so hard when they cross over, but know that she never actually left you. She will always be there, watching over you and guiding you through the journey you set out here to accomplish. 🙂 Take some time for yourself, maybe go on a walk in nature, or do a favorite hobby; something that brings you joy is the best way to honor her.

We’re always here for you!! Whether you need advice, a shoulder to cry on, or a friend to talk to, we are here. 🙂

Smile 🙂 Laugh 🙂 Be Happy 🙂

***********Hugs************

(((((((((((((((((Binky Free)))))))))))))))))))

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss. I’ve had two rabbits pass very dramatically before my eyes, and it is extremely traumatizing.

Please don’t feel guilty, as you what you could for her and were giving her the best shot at a longer life by doing the emergency spay. As you mentioned, she had widespread cancer already, so it was likely too much for her. I don’t think she choked, I think she was probably already starting to pass and was having trouble breathing. I observed a very similar thing in one of my rabbits that passed. He wouldn’t swallow his CC, and held his head up high trying to breath. When rabbits start to pass, they go downhill very rapidly, and the normal things we do to support them don’t work.

It sounds like she had a lovely time with you overall. It can be really hard not to focus on the horrible last few days. I found it helped me to write down happy memories of my bun, because I kept replaying his death over and over and I didn’t want that to be the only thing I remembered about him. In time it gets easier.

Sorry again for your loss.

(((Binky free Elm and Oak)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bunny mummy
              Participant

Thank you so much for your comforting words.

• Bunny mummy
                Participant

Thank you HipHopBunny for your kind words x

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Difficult end