Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Difficult bonding

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Squiddy
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I just left for vacation to Orlando and I asked my grandma to put my 2 rabbits together for 15 minutes supervised every day. ( they are both fixed ) The black and white one is domino and the black one is coco. For about two weeks they seemed to be making good progress in the bonding process, but domino has started to bite her, chase, and rip fur out. It never draws blood, but I always break them up typically when I’m around. Well my grandma sent me this video of them and it’s got me a little concerned with the amount of fur I see in the video. I’ve been googleing stuff but I’m not super rabbit bahvaior savvy yet. Is this just plain aggression and should I give them more time seperate? Or is domino trying to say he’s the dominate bun? Coco thumps her leg loudly when he bites her and then they run around some while domino pulls fur out until I break them up. This video coco just gives up and lays down and I’m not sure what domino is doing. Can someone tell me what all this means and what the behavior in the video is? I’m still new to the world of buns and I’m trying to get everything figured out still so please cut me some slack if I’m doing something wrong. https://youtu.be/Wkb7WJNJEII

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Hi there,

I don’t think you should have your grandma continue sessions without you, as she doesn’t have the same understand of how and when to intervene.

It also seems like they might be getting into an aggressive cycle, so a break while you are on vacation is not the worst thing. More harm can be done to their progress by letting their aggression get out of hand.

In the video Domino looks to be nipping Coco to get her to move? But Coco looks to be frozen, hard to tell if possible because she is afraid?

Can you describe a few more details about the process so far, that will help us give good next steps?

– How large is the bonding space?
          – How neutral is the bonding space? Is it someplace either rabbit has been? Is it within sight or smell of their home turf?
          – Have you done any pre-bonding (cage swaps, etc)?

Regardless, you will need to work on breaking the aggressive cycle that seems to be building. I know there is conflicting info on “letting them sort it out”, but from your description and the video it looks like things are getting worse. So once you are home, focus on building trust and good associations between them. When Domino approaches Coco, do not let him bite. Start petting them both and swap scents. Pet pet pet pet until they are calm. This will help build a calm association and trust between them.

Again, please don’t have your grandma continue without you there. People do differ in how much fur pulling they will allow during bonding, but things can escalate very rapidly in bonding fights, and if you aren’t sure when to intervene it could result in injury, or at least make it much harder to bond them.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Squiddy
          Participant

The bonding space Is a master bathroom, and yes I’ve been doing cage swaps and those seemed to go well. The master bathroom neither of the rabbits have been in it’s a 100% new space. When I get home I will try keeping them in the same area and petting them. Do you have any other suggestions on what to do to help the bonding process? From what I’ve observed coco and domino never break out into a fight (( yet )) and id rather not have a fight at all! Domino and coco only fight when they are on the ground however. I once took them to the vet in the same carrier and they didn’t fight and cuddled each other, but the moment they are out of the carrier domino begins to bite.

• Squiddy
            Participant

Ok so my grandma just sent me another video and coco is grooming domino and domino has his head tucked under cocos chest??? I asked my grandma to stop sessions, but I just thought that was a little odd.

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

I just wanted ditto what Dana said.   I agree that it is best to wait until you return since they were doing fine with you bonding them, and you were able to break them up before anything aggressive really started and that is key.  Bites can also turn into abscesses so be sure your grandmother checks for any lumps due to any bites that may have already broken the skin.  

So I also agree–separate until you return. Have them still be near each other (but not so much that they can bite through bars).

They can relax, and you can relax on your vacation without having to worry about how things are going.   

• DanaNM
                8935 posts Send Private Message

All good on the bonding space, and that’s good that you’ve done some pre-bonding. The grooming certainly is an interesting turn of events, and a good sign!

Sounds like Domino was the instigator of chasing and nipping (which is a display of dominance). When a bun “asks” to be groomed by placing (or shoving lol) their head down in front of another, that is also a display of dominance. Grooming is a sign of submission, so that’s good that it seems like Coco is submitting to Domino.

Hopefully that means things will go smoothly for you when you get back.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Difficult bonding