Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Difficult bonding advice

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunBun260
      Participant
      132 posts Send Private Message

Hello, so I’m currently pre bonding my rabbits, which is going well so far. There is no signs of aggression towards the gate between them, and there is also no more chinning the other one cage during cage swaps, there is also no aggression towards the doll. I will be bonding soon, but plan on pre bonding for a little while. My question is, if you remember from my last post, I didn’t have the correct information about bonding, and introduced them to early which led to fighting with no injuries. This happened because she had only been spayed for three weeks. It has now been 2 months.

I have been doing more research about it since then, learning new things. But I have noticed I haven’t seen to much about bonding a difficult bond. I have seen people mention that it can be done and that they have done it, but not to much on what they did. I don’t know if my pair will be difficult or not, but I would still like to know techniques people used for their difficult bonds, just in case.

If you could please share your stories and share advice on how you bonded your difficult pair that would be great. I would also like to know as well, how you get to the point where your comfortable to move to the next step with a difficult bond. Once again I’m not sure how mine will go, but I’m would like to be prepared in advance. Thank you.

• Nutmeg
        Participant
        594 posts Send Private Message

Hi!
          I only had a difficult bond in that they both wanted to be the alpha and wouldn’t give up on the humping. Mine was just step by step time and posting a bonding journal so I could get help and thoughts and advice from this forum every step of the way.

That’s what I would suggest you do.

When you put them back together again for the first time make sure to use a neutral territory that neither have been before – not even when you were trying the last time – and make sure they can’t even smell their normal home area too.

Start with 5 or 10 minutes – maybe even a quick car ride first – and see how they do. Then post about it.

Even if people who have had hard bonds post what worked for them or when they knew when to move to the next step it may not be the same for you, as you mentioned.
          So instead maybe start a bonding journal and post and ask questions as you go along for your exact situations as they arise with your bunnies.

Good luck!

• BunBun260
          Participant

I plan to create one when I start, I honestly think they are ready, but I’m also a bit scared to start, because once you see one fight, it freaks you out. Thank you for your reply.

• Nutmeg
            Participant

Oh I totally understand. Mine hadn’t even had a fight before I introduced them for the first time and I was still scared out of my mind. I can only imagine your worry!

But try your best to stay calm when you put them together for the first time again. They can sense your feelings and mood.

• BunBun260
              Participant

I’ll try too! I know my boy bunny always picks up on my feeling and moods easily. The lunging is what really freaks me out, because it happens so fast. I know the signs of it now, but I’m hoping it won’t happen again. I got my two cats who hated each other to bond, so hopefully I will be able to bond my rabbits!

• Nutmeg
                Participant

You can do this!!! I found a dust pan helped to quickly put down between the two of mine when they would start to circle chase. It has a handle to keep my hand out of the way but is thin enough to slide between them

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Difficult bonding advice