Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Difference between breeds

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • FuR ThE LuV oF PeTs
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

I am looking at getting a Mini Lop or a Neitherland Dwarf… what is the behavioral differences and appearance differances… Thanks!!

• Anita Stark
        Participant
        194 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure about behaviour differences but my Sable is a Netherland dwarf.  He has the upright ears and is now about 9 months old and still weighs just over 2 and a half pounds.  The only care difference I can think of is that lops might need a little help keeping their ears clean and may be a bit more prone to problems in the ears.

When we decided to get a bunny we were originally considering a lop but I saw Sable and just fell in love with him.  Dh said he knew he was the bunny for us when he saw the look on my face while I held him for the first time.

Keep us posted!

• Elena Niznik
          Participant
          132 posts Send Private Message

HIya,
            Mini lops or holland lops are larger than netherland dwarfs but are still considered small breeds. They are called lops because there ears flop down. They are generally more docile and can tolerate alot more handling and are much easier to litter box train ( so im told) My lop Rolo was litter trained in 5 days.

Netherland dwarfs are smaller and have really cute squashed faces and have short pointed ears that look stuck together. Smaller breeds such as the netherland dwarf and the polish can be alot more tempermental and a little highly strung.
            I have a polish and she is prone to tantrums but she is still affectionate but only on her terms.

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

I really hope you’ll consider adopting, there are many very sweet bunnies looking for a good home.

I recommend picking your bunny based on personality rather than a specific breed. The bunny is going to be living with you for the next 10 + years. There are some differences in temprement that you’ll notice in certain breeds, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

• wendyzski
              Participant
              1312 posts Send Private Message

I agree with GH – please consider adopting from a shelter or rescue.  The volunteers really work with their charges, and can help you find one whose personality and habits fit with yours.  Most rescue animals come already littertrained and socialized, as well as speutered and microchipped. 

A lot of rabbits get dumped by impatient or uneducated owners once their cute baby bunnies reach puberty.  Bunny-teenagers are just as bratty and tempermental as himan teenagers, but they usually calm down after they are speutered.  Rabbits also have a high incidence of reproductive cancers – 85% in females – so getting them speutered will not only help their behavior but will also help them to live longer and healthier lives.

Unless you are planning to show your rabbit, there is really no good reason to go looking for a specific breed.  Find yourself a wonderful mutt-bunny that needs a forever home!

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

I also agree with GH and Wendy.     A really great thing about adopting from a rescue is there a plenty of the "type of breed" of bunny you are looking for there too.     But along the lines with what others are saying, you can find the sweetest bunnies there.  You’d be surprised at who picks you, and who you fall in love with.  And if you are looking for two bunnies, you may find two that are already bonded (and neutered)  which saves time and $$.    

Plus, when you adopt one bunny, you are actually saving two.  The one that you adopted and the one that will takes its place (because most rescues save bunnies from death row)  And  most of the time nothing at all is wrong with the bunny – overcrowding at city animal shelters is the cause.

And if you are looking for a particular type of personality, you can tell the rescue people and they will be able to direct you towards a good match!

Keep us updated!

• FuR ThE LuV oF PeTs
                  Participant

I have been doing rescue for more than 5 years! I am so glad you all are so educated on “Adopting from a Rescue” and support it so much! THANKS!! The reason I asked about the breeds was to educate myself because not only do I want a bunny for myself but I would like to extend my rescue from a dog/cat to and “All Animal” especially those hard different pets such as Bunnies and Ferrets…. I have to say though that I have not come in to contact with any bunnies the entire time I have been doing rescue and that there is not a bunny rescue in my area. The main reason I am wanting a “Mini” for myself is because I want them to have adequate room to play in there play pen I want to spoil each and every single one of my babies and I want them to have lots of room to play. Not only that but I MUST make sure that I get a short haired bunny because I can’t dedicate grooming every day… Again thank all of you who support what us Rescues do! I really appreciate it!!

• dmh426
                    Participant
                    433 posts Send Private Message

I was totally set on a mini french lop until I got my baby. Love at first sight and she’s a rex/mini rex mix. I always wanted a bunny with floppy ears, but just like in life, you don’t pick who you fall in love with. I have been thinking about bonding her with another rescue bunny, but I am going to let her pick her mate and she hasn’t shown interest in any of the fosters I’ve undertaken in the past. So, until Sophie falls in love like I fell in love with her… it’s just her and I.

• FuR ThE LuV oF PeTs
                      Participant

They are all soooooo adorable in there own ways!!

• Gravehearted
                        Participant
                        2428 posts Send Private Message

I am amazed that there aren’t any rescues in your area for rabbits, and as a rescuer you’re just encountering bunnies now.

I can’t tell where you are from your profile – but there are rabbit rescues internationally. In the US, rabbits are the third most common pet (granted they lag way behind dogs & cats). I know there are some areas in the US where rabbits aren’t quite as popular though…

• osprey
                          Participant
                          2065 posts Send Private Message

• BinkyBunny
                            8776 posts Send Private Message

That’s wonderful you are in rescue.  Let us know if you find a rescue group from the links that Osprey posted. 

Good Luck!  Keep us updated.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Difference between breeds